Brithish Isles excursion

We are booked on a 2023 British Isles cruise. Not surprisingly there are many excursions to castles and palaces. How does one choose one castle/palace over another since we want to vary our excursions and not do multiple castles/ palaces.  So there is Scone Palace, Stirling Castle, Dunrobin Castle, Urquhart Castle and Cawder Castle to name a few. Looking for some advice from anyone who might say " You do not want to miss this one". Also, if there are any excursions that stand out in this itinerary to you ( London to London), we would love to hear about them. Thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

Hi ,

Stirling castle is really worth a visit. Perched on a volcanic plug, it has great views.  Very interesting buildings and history and great views. Nice gardens.

Dunrobin Castle is in a lovely fairly quiet setting. Also offers lovely views. It has a really good maze in the gardens and when we visited we were so lucky to see the falconery display. 
All you mentioned will be worth a visit but when you have to narrow down your options, those would be our choices.   Jean.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Are you stopping in Edinburgh as that's another castle 😜😜 if you are  and there is an excursion to the Royal yacht Britannia definitely do it. Which other ports are you stopping off in?

Second a visit to  the Britannia very interesting.

• Like 2

August is the month for Edinburgh! You have the Tatoo in the evenings and the Edinburgh Festival during most days. Google both to get more details. They are not to be missed. Not sure if you are doing an overnight in Edinburgh, but if you are, go on line and try to get Tatoo tickets- sells out very fast  Finally to get an idea of the Tatoo performance, You tube is your friend.

• Like 2

Thank you Liptastic, Techno123,CWN, mrlevin and Dwtlion,

Our cruise is actually in June so we won't be taking in the Tatoo. The ports we will be visiting are Edinburg, Ivergordon, Lerwick ( Shetland Islands), Ullapool, Belfast, Dun Laoghaire, Holyhead, Cork and Poprtland. My DH is golfer so I am thinking that instead of seeing Sterling Castle,  he might enjoy the trip to St. Andrews. Other than London ( departure and arrival port) we have never been to any of these places so we we are very excited and looking for any advice on excursions ( things to do).

Liptastic , seeing the falconery display would really be something we would enjoy.

7 minutes ago, snorkle lover said:

Thank you Liptastic, Techno123,CWN, mrlevin and Dwtlion,

Our cruise is actually in June so we won't be taking in the Tatoo. The ports we will be visiting are Edinburg, Ivergordon, Lerwick ( Shetland Islands), Ullapool, Belfast, Dun Laoghaire, Holyhead, Cork and Poprtland. My DH is golfer so I am thinking that instead of seeing Sterling Castle,  he might enjoy the trip to St. Andrews. Other than London ( departure and arrival port) we have never been to any of these places so we we are very excited and looking for any advice on excursions ( things to do).

Liptastic , seeing the falconery display would really be something we would enjoy.

We are going on Splendor to most of these ports may 21st - I'll let you know!  We opted to fly to Dublin post cruise  and see a little more of Ireland and avoid the jubilee.  We are staying at Ashford Castle for DW 60th Bday.  BTW they have a fine golf course at Ashford.  

Edited by Lonedaddy

TS:

Reviewed our 09/2019 Explorer segment, second of a BtB.  Excerpts relevant to your planning:   

1.  Stirling Castle.  Do not miss. Great Guide; good weather; few crowds. 

2.   Belfast.  Absolute MUST:  "The Titanic Trail".  Poinant, from an historic point-of-view, to include WWI Naval History.  We profited by having a great Guide.  Again, the weather cooperated as that 4.75 hour tour included literally--if one wanted, and my wife did--descending down the steps at the Drydock shipyard where Titanic was laid-out.  Then, "launched"--at great peril down the Wave--for final Fitting-out.  That exercise, as we were advised, was tragic. Loss of life; and a near-miss with another vessel.  Visit to Titanic Museum; and to an adjacent Hotel, first floor of which has be repurposed as a Museum.  This is where the architects drafted Titanic's lay-out.  Then, Tea and scones served in the Officers' Mess aboard a British Light Cruiser docked at Portside.  This vessel--the sole survivor still-floating re:  WWI Battle of Jutland.  Do a Goggle.  

3.  Douglas, Isle of Man.  Did "Historic Castletown."  Recommend.  Surrounded by history when at a Hotel venue.  Emersed, via virtual video, with historic characters explaining their roles in that history.  Well-done.  

4.  Liverpool.  Should your segment include this stop:  Definitely do afternoon "Victorian Port Sunlight & Tea Village."  Then--and this is important:  once exiting the van back to the ship--hustle off to obtain a decent Theater seat to enjoy:  "The Boys from Liverpool" (Beatles) performance.  This was staged at 1745H.  Packed house.  These guys got it right.  

GOARMY!

For your Holyhead stop (I can see Anglesey from my window 😜) there is nothing in Holyhead but there are some interesting tours by the looks of it.

Portmeirion looks like it is an additional cost tour. It is a beautiful, Italianate village in Porthmadog and was the setting for the cult series 'The Prisoner' (I am not a number!) Been to Porthmadog several times but have never managed to visit as had the dog so it is on the agenda for this year.

I have to recommend Conwy as It is walking distance to where I live - it really is a beautiful fishing village (with a castle 😜 there are a lot of them in Wales too)

Beaumaris is on Anglesey again pretty views over Snowdonia and a castle.

Photos in order Conwy Castle at night

Ships bell from Britannia

Entrance to Beaumaris castle and view to Llandudno from the ramparts

F7CB9B8E-6915-40A0-BB46-8E81DE53F8A8.jpeg.30d412866d2db93f1a215a2b61b393af.jpegF93CD133-D774-4278-8B74-3660789922AD.thumb.jpeg.2644cf49276aeaf6fe31a28093d3cd9e.jpeg401A128B-25E4-488E-A3FE-A28EC329D867.thumb.jpeg.85749ff258065e71440fee644fb60d2c.jpeg6AF20778-14DB-412E-BA98-3445396712B9.thumb.jpeg.0625ba699267f17f5eb871269cb268e5.jpeg

We live just outside St Andrews and love the town so I’m biased!  Just to mention that the British Open will be on the Old Course st St Andrews July 14-17 and there is already a lot of work going on to build stands etc so it’s a bit of a construction site just now and likely to be the same in June. 

The Old Course is closed to golf on Sundays and anyone can walk the course that day normally. Not sure if that will be restricted in June. 

All things considered might not be the best time to visit the town. Agree with others’ suggestions about Stirling Castle and Britannia in particular.  Hope that helps. 

And if you do the Conwy trip, try to persuade them to take you to Llandudno too (see view above from Beaumaris - the flat area of land far top left). It's a Victorian seaside resort with a pier and the Great Orme at one side of the bay and the little Orme (where picture is taken from) at the other and not a castle in sight 😂😂 This was taken a few days ago by a friend.0B766873-6E53-49C4-A786-D2F6C5E8842F.thumb.jpeg.b66b17dfde01affa518b1a05be54f5fe.jpeg

Edited by Techno123

Thank you so much for all the excursion suggestions. Techno 123 your photos are lovely and helping us to get even more excited about this cruise. CruiserfaeFife  we will only be in Edinburg one day so it will be a difficult decision on whether to go to St. Andrews or Stirling Castle both sounds wonderful. GOARMY we will definitely do the Titanic Trail. Lonedaddy we will be very interested in hearing about your cruise in May. Although surprised to see that masks are back....disappointing. Briar14 what time frame were you sailing and how was the weather?

• Like 1

When you are in Liverpool I recommend the Slavery museum.  It sounds sad but it was one of the most moving experiences I have had in my travels.  Also I recommend the Beatles tour and going to the Cavern nightclub where it all started.

Norma

Can I second all Techno 123 ‘s suggestions. Conwy is a small town built around the castle and I would say one of my favourite places.

I can also recommend Plas newydd ( a national trust house with beautiful grounds) with views of the Menai Straits. Or indeed Penrhyn Castle ( a house built to impress Queen Victoria……she spent one night there).

If you make it to Llandudno and like gardens then  Bodnant Gardens is close. These will be beautiful in June. There is just so much to see in easy reach of Holyhead. If you can find a private driver or are confidant enough to hire a car I am sure Techno 123 could give you lots of pointers. We live further up the coast towards Chester and there isn’t really anything past Llandudno worth the drive. 

Liverpool has much to recommend it. The port is almost in the town centre. If you want to shop and sort  DH out with Golf ( does he bring his own clubs) I could certainly recommend a few courses.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, welshfamily said:

Can I second all Techno 123 ‘s suggestions. Conwy is a small town built around the castle and I would say one of my favourite places.

I can also recommend Plas newydd ( a national trust house with beautiful grounds) with views of the Menai Straits. Or indeed Penrhyn Castle ( a house built to impress Queen Victoria……she spent one night there).

If you make it to Llandudno and like gardens then  Bodnant Gardens is close. These will be beautiful in June. There is just so much to see in easy reach of Holyhead. If you can find a private driver or are confidant enough to hire a car I am sure Techno 123 could give you lots of pointers. 

There is so much to see in North and mid Wales it is quite sad that there is only one stop. Mind you, the one place on Anglesey not yet suggested is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - the village is probably smaller than the name but if you learn how to pronounce it the World is your oyster 😁got to admit it got me into quite a few places in Scotland when I worked there as a community nurse 😂😂

Edited by Techno123

I didn’t because the sign was missing for repairs a couple of weeks ago and I didn’t want to disappoint. 😱😱

My daughter went to Bangor Uni and students were often responsible for its 

‘ disappearance’.
During one ‘kidnapping for charity an enterprising student tried to sell photo opportunities in the days when cameras were needed. Unfortunately the poor English man only stole the LlanfairPG sign not the ‘real thing’.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, snorkle lover said:

Thank you so much for all the excursion suggestions. Techno 123 your photos are lovely and helping us to get even more excited about this cruise. CruiserfaeFife  we will only be in Edinburg one day so it will be a difficult decision on whether to go to St. Andrews or Stirling Castle both sounds wonderful. GOARMY we will definitely do the Titanic Trail. Lonedaddy we will be very interested in hearing about your cruise in May. Although surprised to see that masks are back....disappointing. Briar14 what time frame were you sailing and how was the weather?

We were sailing in September 2021. Weather was cool but pleasant. No rain!