Kmom Live-ish from Carnival Vista April 23-30, 2022

KmomChicago

@KmomChicago thanks for bringing us along.  I enjoyed your trip very much.  I hope all of the cat babies enjoy having you back once you get home.

I just did my online proctored covid test in advance of beginning my travels today towards the Carnival Splendor and I did not account for my cats’ behavior during the test.  In the future, I would do it in a separate room and shut the door!  I was out in my open floor plan everything room and everyone wanted to play with all the toys mummy was opening.  So much fun!  And let’s rub our chins on the computer and when mummy puts us on the floor, let’s chew mummy’s toes.  And if mummy moves, let’s howl like wolves because mummy is not paying attention to US.

63F4AEBE-E64E-4FFF-A46D-84415F9AF897.thumb.jpeg.d8c8b95eec267dea5716d8fe47e37e0a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It seems that was not so long ago we were all rooting for you to be able to board the ship, and now you are getting ready for the last breakfast. Time does fly by!

It does indeed! The worry and anticipation and even the general hassle of getting to port feels like long ago, and also, hardly any time at all. 

Loitering in the Limelight now, waiting patiently for the first call for debark, which will be by muster station forward to aft, and we are A4. DH and I are thinking about spontaneously throwing a trivia game or singalong or something. 

But nobody looks like they’re in cruise mode anymore. They look like they’re in go home mode. So we’ll just let nature run its course.

2BF53C60-738E-4D0D-801F-0DE065620E8B.jpeg

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, satx78205 said:

Thanks.  Just received a text, phone call, and email about our departure being delayed tomorrow.  Said they would provide an update by 9am.  Having flashbacks from our delayed NYE departure.

We’re hoping to start debark here in the next ten minutes. We’ll wave as we pass you!

• Like 1

Arriving at Bush Intercontinental now. Plenty of time to spare but this flight was originally scheduled for 1:20 and the airline changed it several weeks ago. We considered looking for an earlier one but decided to keep this. Sometimes things work themselves out.

777E0517-3A0F-4041-972F-ADC892F8543F.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Flight was delayed repeatedly and didn’t get off the ground until after 8 pm.

I know the feeling. In 2018 after staying in Montreal for a day after a cruise, we flew back to Newark. Our plane was the only one that did not have a delayed boarding. But, after all passengers were seated and we were about to get underway, the takeoff was delayed. It did not take off until after the time we were supposed to land!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Californian said:

Thanks for taking us along on your journey.  Hope you are safely home.

Hubby is home, thanks, got there late last night. I am staying in Texas for a few additional days on personal business. 

• Like 1

I’m not on the cruise anymore and this isn’t about that so I’m cheating here. But I’m looking for your opinion this time.

If you’ll all indulge me, I have been to Shake Shack and In and Out burger, once each, and: 

I DON’T GET IT. 

I’m temporarily in a part of the country I never expected to be nor particularly expect to return. 

I also just had a Reuben from another chain I’d never tried before (bucket list checked, grade: B+). 

91686C3A-D0D9-4D0D-8472-93AFF3989E02.thumb.jpeg.bd126a3db4d1003adf00439fc1d862fe.jpeg

Walkin’ around I come upon: 

image.thumb.jpg.6a649dad24b6f0abb4f96e844671a9d2.jpg

Meh? Or YEH!  ?

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

I’m not on the cruise anymore and this isn’t about that so I’m cheating here. But I’m looking for your opinion this time.

If you’ll all indulge me, I have been to Shake Shack and In and Out burger, once each, and: 

I DON’T GET IT. 

I’m temporarily in a part of the country I never expected to be nor particularly expect to return. 

I also just had a Reuben from another chain I’d never tried before (bucket list checked, grade: B+). 

91686C3A-D0D9-4D0D-8472-93AFF3989E02.thumb.jpeg.bd126a3db4d1003adf00439fc1d862fe.jpeg

Meh? Or YEH!  ?

I love In N Out Burgers (fries are ok) but I think the ultimate Los Angeles burger experience is Tommy's Burgers in LA.  With chili, pickles, onions (the works) and I have eaten the triple (almost as big as my head) as a challenge.  A true belly bomber!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I DON’T GET IT. 

Meh? Or YEH!  ?

I have experience with both of those. I like both of them. I think they’re very different though. 

In-n-out burger. Fast food. Limited Menu. Burger. Shake. Fries. But what they do they do well. 

Love the double double. A double double  meal is around $8.50 after tax (in Texas at least). That’s the same as a Big Mac meal but the quality is way above McDonald’s.

They don’t sell franchises. They don’t freeze anything. Everything they cook is fresh. That’s why they aren’t east of Dallas. Anything else would be too far from their distribution centers. 

One time I stopped at a Dallas area location at lunch time. When I pulled up an employee was standing outside to greet me and tell me the quality wasn’t up to their standards that day so they were closed. No big deal it was just a few miles to the next closest location but you don’t see that often. And I’m glad they did that instead of serving sub-par food. And they could’ve just turned the lights off and put a “sorry we’re closed” sign on the door but they didn’t..which brings me to their customer service.

Their customer service is top notch. Up there with Chick-Fil-A in my opinion.  They’re so polite and cheerful you want to smack them at times. They do the little things. Like putting your ketchup in little bags and handing them to you instead of throwing ketchup packets in the bag on top of your fries. 

Shake Shack I think is in a different category. I think of it more as a burger restaurant than fast food. As far as I know they don’t have any restaurants with a drive- thru. I’ve only been to three of them. The Houston Galleria, Irving, and Plano…if you can find a parking spot. That one is the worst! There is one in New Orleans but I haven’t been there. I’m a Company Burger guy in New Orleans.

I think of shake shake more like five guys. More expensive. Lots of options. I personally like the smoke shack burger with applewood bacon and cherry peppers. More places should put cherry peppers on their burgers and sandwiches. Shake shack and Jimmy John’s do. At Jimmy John’s I recommend the Italian night club with extra hot peppers. Not personally a which wich fan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I have experience with both of those. I like both of them. I think they’re very different though. 

In-n-out burger. Fast food. Limited Menu. Burger. Shake. Fries. But what they do they do well. 

Love the double double. A double double  meal is around $8.50 after tax (in Texas at least). That’s the same as a Big Mac meal but the quality is way above McDonald’s.

They don’t sell franchises. They don’t freeze anything. Everything they cook is fresh. That’s why they aren’t east of Dallas. Anything else would be too far from their distribution centers. 

One time I stopped at a Dallas area location at lunch time. When I pulled up an employee was standing outside to greet me and tell me the quality wasn’t up to their standards that day so they were closed. No big deal it was just a few miles to the next closest location but you don’t see that often. And I’m glad they did that instead of serving sub-par food. And they could’ve just turned the lights off and put a “sorry we’re closed” sign on the door but they didn’t..which brings me to their customer service.

Their customer service is top notch. Up there with Chick-Fil-A in my opinion.  They’re so polite and cheerful you want to smack them at times. They do the little things. Like putting your ketchup in little bags and handing them to you instead of throwing ketchup packets in the bag on top of your fries. 

Shake Shack I think is in a different category. I think of it more as a burger restaurant than fast food. As far as I know they don’t have any restaurants with a drive- thru. I’ve only been to three of them. The Houston Galleria, Irving, and Plano…if you can find a parking spot. That one is the worst! There is one in New Orleans but I haven’t been there. I’m a Company Burger guy in New Orleans.

I think of shake shake more like five guys. More expensive. Lots of options. I personally like the smoke shack burger with applewood bacon and cherry peppers. More places should put cherry peppers on their burgers and sandwiches. Shake shack and Jimmy John’s do. At Jimmy John’s I recommend the Italian night club with extra hot peppers. Not personally a which wich fan.

Thanks but I was really asking about Whataburger. 

Illinois is the original Jimmy John’s territory so we’ve got lots of those (I sill prefer Subway-JJ is a little better but I always spend twice what I expected to).

Edited by KmomChicago