App says "Smart Casual" every night

LindaJ+

To my knowledge, the Fashion Police don't patrol the MDR. I've seen outfits on Gala Nights that made we wonder if we had been invaded by another planet. Two decades ago, I was nearly refused entrance to the MDR because I was wearing Culottes. One of the 'higher-ups' came to my rescue and allowed me in. Fashion today is tricky. There doesn't seem to be a set standard anywhere, anymore. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:04 AM, aniyafa said:

Curious on what the standard is for evenings and gala nights on Alaska cruises, I have heard they are quite casual.  Planning for my DH who will wear a button down shirt no problem but lives in casual pants (not jeans, think khakis and grey cargo pants) and hiking shoes.  I'm hoping dress shoes will only be necessary on gala nights and khakis, plaid button down and a sweater dress are fine for gala nights as well.  

We are planning on Tamarind, Caneletto, and MDR for dinner.  

It is his first cruise and both our first time on HAL.

Hi, aniyafaand others worried about Gala nights,

Do not worry about fashion police. For men, I suggest a long-sleeved shirt, button or other, with a nice sweater. For women, the equivalent. If you like to get "dressed" up, by all means, do so. Remember, no shorts in MDR or Specialty venues for dinner at any time. Because of health reasons, I wear clean, barely worn, New Balance walking shoes. Since 2008, we have been on 3 HAL and 1 RCI cruise and these clothes for me have worked just fine.

Jim

• Thanks 1

HAL website FAQ's today.....for Gala Nights....see, no coat and tie required....It's wonderful.  But yes, no shorts at dinner, ever.  Casual or Gala.  I leave the coat and tie at home......And every night is really "smart casual" as far as I am concerned. 

• Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

• Haha 1

I thought that shorts were not allowed in specialty restaurants until our last Eurodam cruise.  One night in the Tamarind there were more men wearing shorts than long pants.  Our next visit DH insisted he could wear shorts and so he did and no one said a word.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I thought that shorts were not allowed in specialty restaurants until our last Eurodam cruise.  One night in the Tamarind there were more men wearing shorts than long pants.  Our next visit DH insisted he could wear shorts and so he did and no one said a word.

From HAL FAQ

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

28 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

From HAL FAQ

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

I understand the rule.  Which is why I was surprised when I saw shorts in the Tamarind.

On 4/23/2022 at 10:11 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

Your DH’s travel jacket sounds more appropriate than the khaki fishing vest ( with pockets all over it) that some guy wore to the MDR on our first Gala night. (It stuck out so much that DH noticed.)

The guy in the khaki fishing vest with pockets all over it was my husband; your husband was just jealous 😉 

Okay, I'm totally lying, but my husband does have a fishing vest EXACTLY like that, but he probably wouldn't wear it for gala night, unless he first had it cleaned to get the fish guts off of it.🤪

• Haha 2