Mask policy for cruising in Europe

whiteowl uk

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

From what I understand from my butler, if they were positive and disembarking in Lisbon, they were put in quarantine on shore.  i do not know any more than that. I think you only needed to be tested in two instances.  If you were going on a plane, or continuing on the cruise.  So I am not sure of your scenario.  Sorry. i guess if you were staying in Lisbon it was not mandatory.

Thank you for your kind wishes.  We get tested tomorrow.  We hope for the best.  We have to have two days in a row of negative testing to get out of  COVID jail.

Terri

I appreciate your response.  I hope you test negative tomorrow and get out of covid jail soon!

2 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

So sorry to hear what you are going through.  I'm on Riviera in 3 weeks and getting a bit worried.  Were you able to stay in your cabin and could you order food from any venue on the ship?  I have a bunch of N95 masks that I'm bringing but trying to prepare for the worst case scenarios.

Hi Catherine,

Jim and i were able to stay in our cabin.  We’re in a PH.  We can order food from any restaurant we so desire.

Food comes fairly hot and promptly most of the time.  Butler has been good but he puts in on a tray outside the room and we have to bring it in. Thing is, I have no appetite at all.  i am sure I have lost a good bit of weight.

We get tested tomorrow.  If we are negative we get tested again the next day and we are out of jail. If we are positive, then we have to do the full 10 days of quarantine.  I originally tested negative but had a fever.  i have not been out of this cabin since April 16.

I am going stir crazy.

If one of us tests positive and the other negative, then they will separate us.  The negative one will go to a different cabin and be free.

That is what I know right now.

Terri

5 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

i have not been out of this cabin since April 16.

I am going stir crazy.

I'm so sorry to hear this.  I guess the positive is that you stay in your cabin.  I have been reading posts on the Celebrity Board where the positive passenger was moved from a suite to an oceanview cabin.  

I'm going to bring several books just in case.  Hopefully they gave you the faster streaming internet to facetime family .

Fingers crossed you both test negative 2 days in a row.

Just now, cruisingxpert said:

I'm so sorry to hear this.  I guess the positive is that you stay in your cabin.  I have been reading posts on the Celebrity Board where the positive passenger was moved from a suite to an oceanview cabin.  

I'm going to bring several books just in case.  Hopefully they gave you the faster streaming internet to facetime family .

Fingers crossed you both test negative 2 days in a row.

So far we’ve gotten nothing. I have a ton of onboard credit i can’t spend. Can’t leave this room.  i need to get my nails done.  Spent a lot of money on this cruise to look at four walls.

Terri

1 minute ago, Cruzin Terri said:

So far we’ve gotten nothing. I have a ton of onboard credit i can’t spend. Can’t leave this room.  i need to get my nails done.  Spent a lot of money on this cruise to look at four walls.

Terri

Don't they reimburse you or give you a fcc for the days you've lost?  Guess I better read the rules more carefully.   I can't begin to imagine how frustrating it must be to travel all that way and be confined to your cabin.

7 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Don't they reimburse you or give you a fcc for the days you've lost?  Guess I better read the rules more carefully.   I can't begin to imagine how frustrating it must be to travel all that way and be confined to your cabin.

We have not been told anything about fcc reimbursement.  Nobody has said anything at all.  I am wondering if I should contact my TA and ask her to find out.  Will wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Terri

21 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We have not been told anything about fcc reimbursement.  Nobody has said anything at all.  I am wondering if I should contact my TA and ask her to find out.  Will wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Terri

Here is what I found under FAQ

IF I TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID-19 DURING A CRUISE AND HAVE TO QUARANTINE, WILL I RECEIVE A FULL REFUND?

Updated August 3, 2021

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home.

All refund requests must be made within six months of the date they canceled their voyage or the scheduled embarkation date, whichever is earlier, or they will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the amount specified. To apply for a refund guests should visit https://www.ncl.com/case-submission.

21 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

IF I TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID-19 DURING A CRUISE AND HAVE TO QUARANTINE, WILL I RECEIVE A FULL REFUND?

Updated August 3, 2021

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home.

All refund requests must be made within six months of the date they canceled their voyage or the scheduled embarkation date, whichever is earlier, or they will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the amount specified. To apply for a refund guests should visit https://www.ncl.com/case-submission.

Thank you.

Terri

25 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Updated August 3, 2021

Wonder if that is still the case  that was several months ago  & things seem to change  weekly

I see see someone else posted they got  an FCC for time spent in "Covid jail"

• Like 1

So I guess the  upshot  is if you are sick do not tell anyone or get tested  so you will not have to spend your cruise in your cabin  & you can infect the staff when they deliver meals  in your cabin or getting your nails done???

I am reading this right ??

Unfortunately Covid is still out there & does not care  if you paid big $$ for a cruise  or not

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

So I guess the  upshot  is if you are sick do not tell anyone or get tested  so you will not have to spend your cruise in your cabin  & you can infect the staff when they deliver meals  in your cabin or getting your nails done???

I am reading this right ??

Unfortunately Covid is still out there & does not care  if you paid big $$ for a cruise  or not

And that is pure selfishness. That is probably how I got sick. Sooner or later you get caught. All those continuing on the next voyage had to be tested as well as those flying home.  Those on the next voyage are in quarantine on the ship and those who were supposed to fly home are now in a Covid facility in Lisbon.  So you do not win.

Terri

On 4/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, whiteowl uk said:

You are missing the point. 

Oceania does not require masks outside Europe but is quoting a non existent rule for Europe. We need some consistency here.

The consistancy is "wear a mask" when on board indoors.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just to let you guys know.  We tested NEGATIVE  this morning.  If we test NEGATIVE again tomorrow we get our GET OUT OF JAIL FREE cards.

Thanks for all your good wishes.

Terri

Good news

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 4:57 PM, whiteowl uk said:

I have looked at this document and I quote

"The EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS Joint Action has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Third Health Programme (2014-2020). The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains".

Here is the quote from Oceania SailSafe

"For all voyages embarking from European gateways, EU regulations mandate that all guests must wear face masks at all times when outside of their stateroom or suite except when actively eating or drinking."

I am certainly not anti mask in the correct circumstances but Oceania is deliberately misleading us by stating it is an EU regulation.

I hope Oceania Management is monitoring this discussion (as I believe they do) and corrects any misinformation. I too was surprised that they stated it was a European Union issue as it appears it is not a mandate. Ok Oceania: give us the facts. I recently had a cruise on Celebrity to the Carribean  ( not Europe, I know) with no masks required and there were No issues. Also, the incidences of hospitalizations with the new strain are very low. Are they using this a part of their decision making? We have to get back to some form of normalcy. I advocate for  masking as a personal choice. Have an Oceania cruise in Europe coming up in late August. I hope the policy is changed, as stated. 

I must  admit, I really don't understand all the fuss over masks.  If i'm on board, and the captain says wear a mask, then "aye-aye sir".   If I want entry to a port, and the condition to get into that port is wearing a mask, then I'll wear a mask.    If I'm around people that I don't normally socialize with, I wear a mask - not just for my benefit, but for theirs too.

Its not a political statement - it's about reducing the risk of spreading infection.

• Like 12

10 hours ago, navelgunner said:

I must  admit, I really don't understand all the fuss over masks.  If i'm on board, and the captain says wear a mask, then "aye-aye sir".   If I want entry to a port, and the condition to get into that port is wearing a mask, then I'll wear a mask.    If I'm around people that I don't normally socialize with, I wear a mask - not just for my benefit, but for theirs too.

Its not a political statement - it's about reducing the risk of spreading infection.

I agree with you 100%.  We did everything right and we still got the virus.  i have not been out of my cabin for days but it appears that everyone was compliant with the mask wearing that I could see.

I think the problem was more that people did not report being ill.  And that is the problem in spreading the COVID to others and I am sure that it was the reason my husband and I caught it. 

I am with you.  If the rules on the ship are such that mask wearing is mandated, then wear the mask. it is only for your safety.  I really don’t understand all the fuss.

All these days in quarantine are not fun, believe me.

Terri

• Like 2

Glad to hear your news, Terri.  I made it through the cruise, tested positive last Friday.  We're at a very nice hotel in Lisbon, area set aside for positive cases.  My husband has also tested positive, so we'll be here a few days longer.

I wore a mask, followed the rules, but...I'm convinced it was some of the excursion meals, where people took off masks, sometimes didn't put them back on when off the bus.  I avoided all the other traps, like unmasked sunbathers on the pool deck.  It's somewhat of a mystery, and for once, I'm hesitant to cruise again soon.  Too many unknowns.

10 minutes ago, Stella Maris said:

Glad to hear your news, Terri.  I made it through the cruise, tested positive last Friday.  We're at a very nice hotel in Lisbon, area set aside for positive cases.  My husband has also tested positive, so we'll be here a few days longer.

I wore a mask, followed the rules, but...I'm convinced it was some of the excursion meals, where people took off masks, sometimes didn't put them back on when off the bus.  I avoided all the other traps, like unmasked sunbathers on the pool deck.  It's somewhat of a mystery, and for once, I'm hesitant to cruise again soon.  Too many unknowns.

We did not do any ship excursions.  We were in small private groups.  I don’t know where I picked it up.  We had only one meal off the ship and that was with two other people.  They did not get it.

I am convinced it was people who were ill and did not report it.  

We always had a table for two and did not socialize.  i have no idea where I got it.  I got it first, Jim got it from me.  

Anyway, we are free as of this morning.

I hope you are better soon and set free.

Terri

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We did not do any ship excursions.  We were in small private groups.  I don’t know where I picked it up.  We had only one meal off the ship and that was with two other people.  They did not get it.

I am convinced it was people who were ill and did not report it.  

We always had a table for two and did not socialize.  i have no idea where I got it.  I got it first, Jim got it from me.  

Anyway, we are free as of this morning.

I hope you are better soon and set free.

Terri

Pretty well pops the bubble for those constantly proclaiming how sophisticated and courteous Oceania cruisers are compared to other lines. Brings back memories of the Noro cruise where certain infected O passengers refused to stay in quarantine.

18 hours ago, tjm0701 said:

I hope Oceania Management is monitoring this discussion (as I believe they do) and corrects any misinformation. I too was surprised that they stated it was a European Union issue as it appears it is not a mandate. Ok Oceania: give us the facts. I recently had a cruise on Celebrity to the Carribean  ( not Europe, I know) with no masks required and there were No issues. Also, the incidences of hospitalizations with the new strain are very low. Are they using this a part of their decision making? We have to get back to some form of normalcy. I advocate for  masking as a personal choice. Have an Oceania cruise in Europe coming up in late August. I hope the policy is changed, as stated. 

I would say that if you wish to have masking as a personal choice go find a cruise line where masking is optional.  Please do not come back here and complain after you are infected with COVID, You will get no sympathy.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I would say that if you wish to have masking as a personal choice go find a cruise line where masking is optional.  Please do not come back here and complain after you are infected with COVID, You will get no sympathy.

Sorry to disagree. The current variant is much like a cold or flu. What did you do for the previous years when you got sick? Yes, an issue could be quarantine, but that is a particular risk I’m willing to take. You have to understand the criteria. The preponderance of people with the virus today are Not being hospitalized. And those that are were either Not Vaccinated or had a previous condition. That is why the CDC (finally) has reduced their rating on Countries and on Cruise ships. I don’t care if you wear a mask or not. But your risk of a serious condition, with Oceania requiring vaccinations and prior testing, is extremely low. Give us the Option Oceania. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1