Alaska Cruise

samantha30

What are your stops?

this will be my 3rd Alaska cruise.  Plus I lived in Juneau for 4 years. 

I am not particularly physical - so my recommendations won’t include those types of activities.   

Here are some of my favs:

Whale Watching - Juneau.   I recommend Harvs and Marvs.  They were recommended to me.  I used them last time I was in Juneau and will be again in 3 weeks. 

Ketchikan:   Mister Fjords is beautiful.   It’s a fairly long excursion and kind of a slow pace.     The other thing I’ve done - if you want to do more in Ketchikan is the Duck Tour.   It would also give you time to walk around. 

Skagway - the train was ok.   But not spectacular.   The 4 wheeler things up the mountain then lunch and back were amazing.    It’s small enough you can walk around.  It’s also ridiculously tourist trappy.    This year I’m doing a town tour.  

Victoria Canada.  The shuttle to the town center and walking around was good.    The second time I stayed on the boat. Lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, samantha30 said:

Hi

we are 2 older ladies from Uk going on Alaska cruise for 1st time and just wondered what excursions do you recommend. Also any companies to book excursions through.
Many thanks

Have you chosen your cruise line?  Generally Holland America would be the best cruise line.  Holland and Princess have been cruising in Alaska for many years .  Holland is celebrating their 75th year in Alaska in 2022.  The ships are not huge and they don’t attract many children unless they are traveling with multigenerational families.  

You may be very experienced travelers but “older ladies from UK” and your first Alaska cruise suggests to me that you may want to do the ship sponsored excursions and there are many.  The excursions descriptions will tell you how “strenuous” the excursions are.   Some activities may only be available through the ship. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Have you chosen your cruise line?  Generally Holland America would be the best cruise line.  Holland and Princess have been cruising in Alaska for many years .  Holland is celebrating their 75th year in Alaska in 2022.  The ships are not huge and they don’t attract many children unless they are traveling with multigenerational families.  

You may be very experienced travelers but “older ladies from UK” and your first Alaska cruise suggests to me that you may want to do the ship sponsored excursions and there are many.  The excursions descriptions will tell you how “strenuous” the excursions are.   Some activities may only be available through the ship. 

Not sure how you have determined that HAL is the best for Alaska.      First - I would disagree.    Second - the best cruise line is highly subjective.

I’ve done 3 cruises to Alaska.  3 different lines.  

My suggestion.    Choose your itinerary and dates and see what is available.   Note - if this is a once in a lifetime trip - I highly suggest you choose an itinerary with Glacier Bay. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MichFish said:

What are your stops?

this will be my 3rd Alaska cruise.  Plus I lived in Juneau for 4 years. 

I am not particularly physical - so my recommendations won’t include those types of activities.   

Here are some of my favs:

Whale Watching - Juneau.   I recommend Harvs and Marvs.  They were recommended to me.  I used them last time I was in Juneau and will be again in 3 weeks. 

Ketchikan:   Mister Fjords is beautiful.   It’s a fairly long excursion and kind of a slow pace.     The other thing I’ve done - if you want to do more in Ketchikan is the Duck Tour.   It would also give you time to walk around. 

Skagway - the train was ok.   But not spectacular.   The 4 wheeler things up the mountain then lunch and back were amazing.    It’s small enough you can walk around.  It’s also ridiculously tourist trappy.    This year I’m doing a town tour.  

Victoria Canada.  The shuttle to the town center and walking around was good.    The second time I stayed on the boat. Lol

would you please elaborate on 'Mister (Misty) Fjords" and "The 4 wheeler things up the mountain then lunch and back were amazing".. Are these tours offered by the cruise lines?  thanks

2 hours ago, MichFish said:

I’ve done 3 cruises to Alaska.  3 different lines.  
 - I highly suggest you choose an itinerary with Glacier Bay. 

Haven’t lived in Juneau but have been to Alaska many times since our first cruise in 2005 including Denali, the Yukon and many Alaska ports where other major cruise lines don’t stop. . We’ve only cruised HAL to Alaska because they, in the past, have offered better itineraries and can enter Glacier Bay National Park.  The ships for the most part have fewer passengers, fewer children, and an older demographic.

Hi!     

sorry about the Typo - Misty Fjords is correct.   Outside of what I mentioned for Juneau.   I usually do the ship excursions.  

Misty Fjords is an excursion you can take from Ketchikan.   It is a few hours in a boat.  The ride takes you to the Fjords and you see beautiful views, waterfalls and the Fjords.  In addition you may well see ocean life like whales.   You don’t get off the boat at all. 

The 4 wheeler tour in Skagway (it’s actually in Haines but the cruise stop was Skagway and you take a ferry to Haines) is this - bit I booked it through the cruise.   It was one of the best excursions I’ve done.   

https://www.takshanuktrail.com

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Haven’t lived in Juneau but have been to Alaska many times since our first cruise in 2005 including Denali, the Yukon and many Alaska ports where other major cruise lines don’t stop. . We’ve only cruised HAL to Alaska because they, in the past, have offered better itineraries and can enter Glacier Bay National Park.  The ships for the most part have fewer passengers, fewer children, and an older demographic.

Since you have not tried any other line.  You can’t possibly know if it’s the best.  And like I said.  The best is subjective.    It may match your preferences.  That may make it the best for you.   But when advising others - keep in mind that your best is not necessarily their best.   

There are many choices and many have varied size of boats and passenger demographic. 

Many lines go to Glacier Bay.  Many lines have land and sea tours.   HAL hardly has the corner on any of these things. 

Alaska itself has an older demographic. 

It’s great to say what you like and don’t like personally.  But making a blank statement that what YOU prefer is THE best?!?    

Edited by MichFish

3 minutes ago, MichFish said:

Hi!     

sorry about the Typo - Misty Fjords is correct.   Outside of what I mentioned for Juneau.   I usually do the ship excursions.  

Misty Fjords is an excursion you can take from Ketchikan.   It is a few hours in a boat.  The ride takes you to the Fjords and you see beautiful views, waterfalls and the Fjords.  In addition you may well see ocean life like whales.   You don’t get off the boat at all. 

The 4 wheeler tour in Skagway (it’s actually in Haines but the cruise stop was Skagway and you take a ferry to Haines) is this - bit I booked it through the cruise.   It was one of the best excursions I’ve done.   

https://www.takshanuktrail.com

thanks I will check it out....the 4 wheeler tour sounds like something we would really like. 

4 hours ago, samantha30 said:

Hi

we are 2 older ladies from Uk going on Alaska cruise for 1st time and just wondered what excursions do you recommend. Also any companies to book excursions through.
Many thanks

When are you going?  My next Alaskan cruise is in 3 weeks!   I’m so excited!

55 minutes ago, MichFish said:

Since you have not tried any other line.  You can’t possibly know if it’s the best.  And like I said.  The best is subjective.    It may match your preferences.  That may make it the best for you.   But when advising others - keep in mind that your best is not necessarily their best.   

There are many choices and many have varied size of boats and passenger demographic. 

Many lines go to Glacier Bay.  Many lines have land and sea tours.   HAL hardly has the corner on any of these things. 

Alaska itself has an older demographic. 

It’s great to say what you like and don’t like personally.  But making a blank statement that what YOU prefer is THE best?!?    

Over and Out

I have cruised to Alaska on five different cruise lines and I’ve found that both Princess and HAL do a great job if the OP is looking to cruise with a mainstream  company rather than a luxury line.  

As the OP stated that they are older, I do feel that HAL or Princess might be a good fit though on an Alaskan cruise there tends to be more families/ younger adults.  My NCL and Disney cruises were certainly more family-focused ship activities and not so much on Alaska.

The enrichment programs offered by Princess and HAL will really enhance your experience.  I prefer Princess over HAL in Alaska due to: itinerary (Glacier Bay is fabulous!  Rangers come on board), special Alaskan cuisine, nature and history lectures, puppies on board, totem carving in the Piazza, local musicians perform.

We are taking family members on a northbound Alaskan cruise this June (Princess Royal) on their first trip to Alaska.  This is what I’ve helped them plan:

Ketchikan:  Visiting Totem Blight Park, Lumberjack Show (booked through Princess) and lunch at the Alaskan Fish House.

Juneau:  Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier (booked through Juneau  Whale Watch). If weather is nice, they will buy Mt Robert tram tickets.  (My favorite Juneau excursions are canoe and glacier trek and the Tracy arm boat trip—family members didn’t want to spend the money.). Visit Red Dog Saloon for a duck fart and eat at Tracy’s Crab Shack.

Skagway:  Bike Ride (booked through Sockeye Cycling), White Pass Railroad (booked through Princess), visiting the Klondike State Park and ending with a Spruce Tip beer at the Skagway Brewing Company.

Once in Anchorage, they’re staying a few days post cruise for a helicopter/dog sled excursion, a Kenai Fjord wildlife cruise and a ride on the Alaskan Railroad.

Hubby and I have been so many times (4 cruises this summer alone) that we tend to DIY at the ports.  We’ve done almost every excursion throughout the years and repeat those we enjoyed.  We enjoy history, culture and being outdoors—we visit museums, hike trails, go to parks.  I’m doing the bike ride in Skagway again—had so much fun the first time!

On 4/24/2022 at 2:20 AM, MichFish said:

On 4/24/2022 at 2:20 AM, MichFish said:

We are going in June on Celebrity Eclipse

4 hours ago, samantha30 said:

We are going in June on Celebrity Eclipse

Alaska is the one destination that you can do independent tours without the worry, "Will I make it back to the ship".  Many rely on repeat business and have been in Alaska for some time.  

We did independent tours in 2018.  Rented a car in Skagway and drove up the Yukon Hwy. into Canda following Murry's guide.   In Ketchikan went on a float plane up to Misty Fjords and landed on a lake and went ashore with Randy of Mountain Air, though we were originally booked with Michelle of Island Wings.  

We did a ship excursion through Holland America, where we boarded a small boat at the head of Tracy Arm to cruise up to Sawyer Glacier and then back to Juneau.  

Edited by Dancing Shoes