MSC Dinner dress code?

LeighDee

11 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Not so long ago, unless you went with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet for "domestic" EU flights, one could very well to afford a 23Kg checked bag per passenger.

Unfortunately it is even more complicated now. Every time we come to Europe Ryanair seems to have changed the rules again. The others also, but we are not considering other airlines for flights in Europe meanwhile. Only if Ryanair cannot offer what we need. Before it was quite simple, hand lugguage free 23kg checked bag more expensive than a passenger. So we and probably most others had the simple rule, Gentlemen and kids hand luggage only, Ladies one checked bag each 😄

That was the time when I stopped bringing a suit and downsized the gala outfit to nice trousers and shirt. And a tie because of the size and weight🙂 

Now as the hand luggage is the size of a notebook and the surcharge for a real suitcase is quite acceptable one could think about bringing the full fittings again, but the motivation going back to this seems to be limited not just for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oxo said:

This goes on every cruise line regardless of dress code, adult only areas, kids running up and down the halls all hours of the night. People drinking too much, etc.

No Italian company ever had the motto "customer is king". MSC tries hard for many years to prove this to you. With the concept that everything has to be finally confirmed by Naples (where NO without further explanation is their favourite word by far) they also have a good protection that local MSC offices go too customer friendly.

By the way, according to my experience this motto is popular in very few countries, enjoy, if you live in one of them. 

But bambini are king and way more important than everybody else including you and most welcome to run up and down the halls all night. MSC knows very well that the kids decide if a guest comes back or not and the adults don´t really care about how much MSC disappointed them as long as the kids love it. And kids sail (almost) free on some routes / ships until 18 years, so everyone knows what to expect during European school holidays. And with the YC they anyway have a second and non-family focused ship inside the ship. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, baelor said:

Off-white?  I am so confused.   We must differ in our definitions of tuxedos/dinner jackets.

What styles of black jacket do you prefer?

True, depending on different factors, words/phrases under the category of men's formal wear can have overlapping meanings. For off-white dinner jacket, I'm referring to this...
IMG_2476.jpg.54c05a0c0d049b688d1a17c29dcbd717.jpg

For black jacket or "regular" tuxedos, I'll have on hand one traditional style and one fashion-forward style. As an example from our most recent cruise, my wife had me buy this one for the modern looking outfit...
jean-yves-used-mirage-mandarin-collar-tuxedo-coat-only-508.thumb.jpg.d739bf35c880744852148d2c1f12411a.jpg
(That's not me, of course. We didn't get a picture of me on the one evening I wore it.)

Here's my more traditional tuxedo...
IMG_2389.jpg.9c6c62c9cfbce869d276b75b42d35999.jpg

I change things up by bringing extra ties, vests, and pocket silks. 

Cheers!

• Like 4

On 4/25/2022 at 2:25 PM, jcathers1 said:

Certainly, everyone can agree that SOME sort of dress code for meals is appropriate (no swimwear, must be wearing shirt or shoes, etc.). That being the case, it's only a matter of setting appropriate expectations and then enforcing them. I see no issue in expecting a certain type of attire in the YC or MDR, especially if it's only on certain dates. It shows a respect for oneself, others around you, and the service staff. 

Nicely put. Well done Sir.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, no1talks said:

True, depending on different factors, words/phrases under the category of men's formal wear can have overlapping meanings. For off-white dinner jacket, I'm referring to this...
IMG_2476.jpg.54c05a0c0d049b688d1a17c29dcbd717.jpg

For black jacket or "regular" tuxedos, I'll have on hand one traditional style and one fashion-forward style. As an example from our most recent cruise, my wife had me buy this one for the modern looking outfit...
jean-yves-used-mirage-mandarin-collar-tuxedo-coat-only-508.thumb.jpg.d739bf35c880744852148d2c1f12411a.jpg
(That's not me, of course. We didn't get a picture of me on the one evening I wore it.)

Here's my more traditional tuxedo...
IMG_2389.jpg.9c6c62c9cfbce869d276b75b42d35999.jpg

I change things up by bringing extra ties, vests, and pocket silks. 

Cheers!

Ubermensch !  "Definitions of Ubermensch. a person with great powers and abilities. synonyms: demigod, superman. type of: leader."

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Ubermensch !  "Definitions of Ubermensch. a person with great powers and abilities. synonyms: demigod, superman. type of: leader."

Thank you for providing us with so many definitions! You have greatly increased my vocab.

Have a nice day!

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Nietzsche reference on CC boards!  Never thought I'd see that!  Well played, sir!  Well played, indeed!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Unfortunately it is even more complicated now. Every time we come to Europe Ryanair seems to have changed the rules again. The others also, but we are not considering other airlines for flights in Europe meanwhile. Only if Ryanair cannot offer what we need. Before it was quite simple, hand lugguage free 23kg checked bag more expensive than a passenger. So we and probably most others had the simple rule, Gentlemen and kids hand luggage only, Ladies one checked bag each 😄

That was the time when I stopped bringing a suit and downsized the gala outfit to nice trousers and shirt. And a tie because of the size and weight🙂 

Now as the hand luggage is the size of a notebook and the surcharge for a real suitcase is quite acceptable one could think about bringing the full fittings again, but the motivation going back to this seems to be limited not just for me. 

Yeah, that's it, exactly. From quite a while from now, Ryanair (and the other "low cost" airlines) have created their version of the full ticket and have basically banished cabin bags. But said weight allowance on "new" full ticket is generally smaller than what it used to be. 20Kg at most... Times are changing and they'll to change even more...

20 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Ok, I get it now...the others are 100% correct I'm eating in the YC dining room right now and this guy just walked in wearing shorts.

The first bite of my meal - before he arrived - was amazing...but then every bite after that was horrible. 

And I no longer felt like I was on vacation. I felt like I was in a WalMart.

My entire cruise is ruined.

Sorry, that was me.

• Haha 2