Question on Certificate of Recovery

Pennstatedj

If we tested positive with an antigen test and could not cruise and we have another cruise on July 2 within the 90 days, should we get a certificate of recovery from our doctor before testing again with the antigen for the July 2 cruise. We are very nervous that we will test positive again since their accuracy with full boosted people and now have tested positive. Our doctor did both tests pcr and antigen when we were diagnosed because of the accuracy with full boosted people. Thanks in advance if you know anything. I have read numerous threads and X Q&As and an cannot find this situation. 

The risk of a post-COVID positive test that long after recovery would be if you took another PCR test.  It can pick up remnants of long dead virus.  Antigen tests aren't subject to this problem.  Stick with an antigen test and there should be no need for a letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you have a positive PCR test that happened within 90 days before the end of the July 2 cruise, and you have the ability to get a Certificate of Recovery from a medical professional, why not get a Certificate of Recovery, and take the risk out of the process?  If you can't qualify for that, then I agree that should only take rapid antigen tests before your trip.

Tom & Judy

• Like 2

I believe  SbbquilterUT is correct, you must have a Positive PCR to get a Certificate of Recovery.  I had Covid in Jan. and when I tested positive on an antigen test I got a PCR to verify it (this is recommended by the CDC to verify the less accurate antigen test).  I simply applied to our state Dept. of Health on line and uploaded my information required (they already had the results of the test as it's reported to the state by the lab) and I was issued my Certificate of Recovery.  

So, what it really got me was the ability to fly TO the U.S. without a test.  But it doesn't work for cruise lines, you still need a negative test.  Of course if you test positive but are in the 90 days it never hurts to push the issue, but I'm not sure you can board with just the Certificate of Recovery.

I stuck with the less accurate antigen tests for our trip to the Bahamas last month with NO problems at all.  If I were you, I'd get the Certificate just in case (it's should be free) but stick to the antigen test as long as it's negative. 

On 4/25/2022 at 8:27 AM, Pennstatedj said:

If we tested positive with an antigen test and could not cruise and we have another cruise on July 2 within the 90 days, should we get a certificate of recovery from our doctor before testing again with the antigen for the July 2 cruise. We are very nervous that we will test positive again since their accuracy with full boosted people and now have tested positive. Our doctor did both tests pcr and antigen when we were diagnosed because of the accuracy with full boosted people. Thanks in advance if you know anything. I have read numerous threads and X Q&As and an cannot find this situation. 

Do you have a copy of your positive PCR results? Get one if you don’t because the dates are important.

Buy a couple of home tests and take them weekly or so, starting in May. If you get 2 negative Ag tests, you are likely safe. Obviously begin a program of avoiding groups and masking about 2 weeks before sail date.

As someone else pointed out, you haven’t lost anything if you get a. Certificate of Recovery letter when you get your PCR results. Don’t be surprised if you have to explain to your doctor, but maybe not.

Im in your situation, but I am not getting a CR letter. We board in Amsterdam, so I don’t have the option of getting a PCR. I am going to do a PCR the week before we leave for Amsterdam to be sure it is negative.

Keep in mind that Ag tests, while not super reliable, are rarely false positives. If your Ag test is positive, even if you are 2 months out from Covid, the mostly likely scenario is that you have been reinfected, sadly. Don’t panic, though, that would be exceedingly rare in an immunocompetent person, because there’s basically only one variant circulating now and that is almost certainly the one you had. Get your 2 neg Ag tests and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

I believe  SbbquilterUT is correct, you must have a Positive PCR to get a Certificate of Recovery.  I had Covid in Jan. and when I tested positive on an antigen test I got a PCR to verify it (this is recommended by the CDC to verify the less accurate antigen test).  I simply applied to our state Dept. of Health on line and uploaded my information required (they already had the results of the test as it's reported to the state by the lab) and I was issued my Certificate of Recovery.  

So, what it really got me was the ability to fly TO the U.S. without a test.  But it doesn't work for cruise lines, you still need a negative test.  Of course if you test positive but are in the 90 days it never hurts to push the issue, but I'm not sure you can board with just the Certificate of Recovery.

I stuck with the less accurate antigen tests for our trip to the Bahamas last month with NO problems at all.  If I were you, I'd get the Certificate just in case (it's should be free) but stick to the antigen test as long as it's negative. 

The part about cruise lines is not correct.  Celebrity accepts a Certificate of Recovery, if you had a positive PCR test within 11-90 days (in some cases, 11-180 days) before the end of the cruise, so long as you are also fully vaccinated.  See the FAQ entitled "Is Celebrity Accepting Certificates of Recovery?. . . "  you can find it here" Health & Safety FAQs: Find Answers Online | Celebrity Cruises

Tom & Judy

Thanks to OP for posting, and information others have shared.  Has anyone boarded a Celebrity Ship using a Certification of Recovery in lieu of a negative Covid test?  If so, which ship, and how was the Cert of Recovery handled during embarkation?

We are scheduled to leave in May for an Alaskan Cruisetour on Millennium, and tested positive (both DH and myself) for COVID 2 weeks ago.  We did verify with PCR tests, and were confirmed by lab through email and communications with GA Dept of Health.   After finding the information about the using a Certificate of Recovery in the FAQ on the Celebrity Healthy at Sea site, we have also obtained the letter from our physician to provide at embarkation with our PCR test results.

The X App and precruise emails are both SILENT on the Recovery Cert and only state that a negative Antigen test is required to board, but as noted by others above the FAQ does confirm the use of a Cert of Recovery to board.  To confirm this both our TA and DH spoke directly with Celebrity, and after some back and forth, both were told that the Certificate of Recovery and Vaccination records would suffice for documentation at embarkation.   

I would appreciate any feedback from those who have successfully boarded using only the Certificate in lieu of a negative covid test.  Thank you.  

1 hour ago, whitbob said:

Thanks to OP for posting, and information others have shared.  Has anyone boarded a Celebrity Ship using a Certification of Recovery in lieu of a negative Covid test?  If so, which ship, and how was the Cert of Recovery handled during embarkation?

We are scheduled to leave in May for an Alaskan Cruisetour on Millennium, and tested positive (both DH and myself) for COVID 2 weeks ago.  We did verify with PCR tests, and were confirmed by lab through email and communications with GA Dept of Health.   After finding the information about the using a Certificate of Recovery in the FAQ on the Celebrity Healthy at Sea site, we have also obtained the letter from our physician to provide at embarkation with our PCR test results.

The X App and precruise emails are both SILENT on the Recovery Cert and only state that a negative Antigen test is required to board, but as noted by others above the FAQ does confirm the use of a Cert of Recovery to board.  To confirm this both our TA and DH spoke directly with Celebrity, and after some back and forth, both were told that the Certificate of Recovery and Vaccination records would suffice for documentation at embarkation.   

I would appreciate any feedback from those who have successfully boarded using only the Certificate in lieu of a negative covid test.  Thank you.  

On another thread, 3 different people reported no problem using the combo of fully vaccinated + PCR positive (within the relevant time period) + Certificate of Recovery.  See posts 31, 36, 40 and 45 of this thread.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2836943-certificate-of-recovery-what-is-this/

I am boarding the Apex Saturday, and I intend to take a supervised Abbott BinaxNow test, and assume I will test negative.  But I did get a positive PCR earlier this month, and got a Certificate of Recovery from my doctor.  I intend to use the Certificate of Recovery first to ensure that it works, and only if I run into problems will I display my antigen negative.

Tom & Judy

2 hours ago, TFree said:

On another thread, 3 different people reported no problem using the combo of fully vaccinated + PCR positive (within the relevant time period) + Certificate of Recovery.  See posts 31, 36, 40 and 45 of this thread.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2836943-certificate-of-recovery-what-is-this/

TFree,

Thank you for sharing the other thread.  Good to see others have been successful with the Cert of Recovery.  Smooth sailing for your upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TFree said:

The part about cruise lines is not correct.  Celebrity accepts a Certificate of Recovery, if you had a positive PCR test within 11-90 days (in some cases, 11-180 days) before the end of the cruise, so long as you are also fully vaccinated.  See the FAQ entitled "Is Celebrity Accepting Certificates of Recovery?. . . "  you can find it here" Health & Safety FAQs: Find Answers Online | Celebrity Cruises

Tom & Judy

Good news. Didn't realize that.  Thanks.

• Like 1