Question about "Comp" dinner for Diamond Member

cruisers5

11 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You're recollection is somewhat correct. What the dining experience menu says is you can replace a dish on the dining experience menu from the ala carte menu for 50%off. Any additional dishes is full price. 

image.thumb.png.9f15ec825ed174498e235f7e1a06ca28.png

20 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Your recollection is somewhat correct. What the dining experience menu says is you can replace a dish on the dining experience menu from the ala carte menu for 50%off. Any additional dishes is full price. 

Unsure whether or not you fully understand how that would pan out. You can replace your starter, main and dessert courses for an a la carte dish for each course and get 50% off....or one or two courses only. It does not mean one dish only.

If you wish any additional dishes other than one for each course then that is paid at full price.

4 hours ago, surmy555 said:

I'm not a big dessert fan, Can I replace dessert with an additional appetizer?

This is one of those questions that we can confidently say, MAYBE, MAYBE NOT.  On Seaside, there was no problem on a few occasions where DW had the salad and shrimp cocktail instead of the dessert.  A few months ago on Seashore, it was denied.  As with so many things on MSC, depending on the way you ask, the experience (and/or mood) of the server, or the instructions from the manager, they may allow the change, or may not.  I do remember talking to someone in the Top Sail Lounge on Seashore who said they got the substitution by claiming that the goat cheese chart was his dessert, and that he wanted his "dessert" before his entree!  Well played, sir!  Well played!

Edited by JAGR

21 hours ago, surmy555 said:

You can have anything you wish, subject to an additional charge....but do bear in mind post #57!

• Like 1

In one youtube Video someone even got 2 half portion of side dishes in the Butchers Cut and I got refused. 😭 Had to pay 3€ extra.

So take a camera / go pro with you and say you are an cruis blogger^^

Edited by Aeroplex

On 9/30/2022 at 6:18 AM, hamrag said:

Unsure whether or not you fully understand how that would pan out. You can replace your starter, main and dessert courses for an a la carte dish for each course and get 50% off....or one or two courses only. It does not mean one dish only.

If you wish any additional dishes other than one for each course then that is paid at full price.

I understand what the offer is, just trying to clarify since there have been some posts implying there's no restrictions. The truth is more nuanced which is important since changes to the dining experience menu costs extra so it's no longer a fully complementary meal.

Here's a photo of our entrees that were included in the package; a NY sirloin and double cut lamp chops. Both were excellent. 

PXL_20220927_000854884.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I understand what the offer is, just trying to clarify since there have been some posts implying there's no restrictions. The truth is more nuanced which is important since changes to the dining experience menu costs extra so it's no longer a fully complementary meal.

Here's a photo of our entrees that were included in the package; a NY sirloin and double cut lamp chops. Both were excellent. 

PXL_20220927_000854884.jpg

Goin to be on very soon.  That looks fabulous!

Cheers

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 5:02 PM, mafig said:

It's been awhile since we were on MSC.  I'm still listed as Diamond on my reservation on their website.

I don't recall how I know for sure I have this.  Is there a notice in our suite?  

You can sign into your MSC account and it will tell you what level you are. I know they say you need to cruise once every 3 years.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:55 PM, GonzoWCS said:

Goin to be on very soon.  That looks fabulous!

Cheers

My go-to beef cut is usually Rib-eye which I like because the extra fat makes the steak extra tender, so I was a bit concerned the NY sirloin would be more dense and chewy. My concerns were unwarranted and the steak was amazingly tender and a breeze to cut, almost like a Filet Mignon!

• 1 month later...

Would welcome comments on Ocean Cay: is is a good choice? What is their Tasting Menu? 

Im on Seascape and scanned in the menu, but « Tasting Menu » isn’t mentioned.

My contribution to the discussion: on this » Maiden Voyage » only Butchers Cut and Ocean Cay are offered as Diamond Perks.

On 9/30/2022 at 9:05 AM, surmy555 said:

I have done this as I don't like desserts, but it has been anything from a "no problem" to a "pulling teeth from the maitre d'" to get it (after approval from the specialty dining manager.... Oh, the DRAMA!) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new to MSC but status matched to Diamond. On NCL my wife and I usually book two separate cabins when they drop the single supplement charge since we get two free specialty dinners per cabin where we can each take a guest, so we take each other which works out to 5 free specialty dinners. Does the free specialty dinner work the same on MSC? If each get our own cabin could we each take the other to dinner so we’d end up with two specialty dinners instead of one?

I do not think you will each get two comped dinners.  The Diamond benefits state one free dinner per stateroom.  If two reside in the room you both partake.

My wife and I are both Diamond and we each get one meal because of the rules.  There is nothing mentioned about inviting a guest BUT, best bet is to check on the ship.

On 12/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, qdog123 said:

Hi, new to MSC but status matched to Diamond. On NCL my wife and I usually book two separate cabins when they drop the single supplement charge since we get two free specialty dinners per cabin where we can each take a guest, so we take each other which works out to 5 free specialty dinners. Does the free specialty dinner work the same on MSC? If each get our own cabin could we each take the other to dinner so we’d end up with two specialty dinners instead of one?

It should, yes. The Diamond meal is per cabin. If you and your spouse book separate cabins then you should receive a meal per cabin. 

Edited by CruisingFox27

On 12/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, qdog123 said:

If each get our own cabin could we each take the other to dinner so we’d end up with two specialty dinners instead of one?

Yes and no… You will each get a dinner, and the dinner is for two people (the Diamond member and a guest) but only if the guest is staying in the same cabin. I don't know how strictly they enforce that, though.

6 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Yes and no… You will each get a dinner, and the dinner is for two people (the Diamond member and a guest) but only if the guest is staying in the same cabin. I don't know how strictly they enforce that, though.

On Seashore in June/July it was pretty strict. Though the food was better in YC than the specialty restaurants.  We went each week and the steak in YC was as good or better than the steakhouse.

Wife went to the seafood place and did not even finish her meal. She got out of there and met me to have dinner in YC restaurant.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:44 AM, CruisingFox27 said:

It should, yes. The Diamond meal is per cabin. If you and your spouse book separate cabins then you should receive a meal per cabin. 

Yes, for reasons I'll explain in my review soon, we got moved from our original YC deluxe into 2 YC deluxe that only hold 2 people. My DD and myself in 1 and DW right next door. Talked with the YC Concierge, and he confirmed that we both got the Diamond perks since we were in 2 different cabins.

However, we never used them as we truly enjoyed the YC restaurant where I had the Filet Mignon every night!

• 4 weeks later...

We got status match  to Diamond so we booked a cruise on MSC next month to give it a try. My question on the tasting menu perk.....how do they acknowledge that ? Is it a set time and restaurant  they set for you or a coupon in your room you take to a venue?  All new to me. Thank you

2 hours ago, jinpasco said:

We got status match  to Diamond so we booked a cruise on MSC next month to give it a try. My question on the tasting menu perk.....how do they acknowledge that ? Is it a set time and restaurant  they set for you or a coupon in your room you take to a venue?  All new to me. Thank you

If you are in YC, the concierge can get you a reservation in the restaurant you want to use.  If not in YC, the best way I found is to go to the specialty restaurant host station and have them make the reservation for you (if you are in a Seaside-class ship), or if on a ship where the restaurants are spread out a bit, like Meraviglia, there is usually someone at the Butcher Club host station, and they can arrange a reservation at the restaurant of your choice.

Note that when you embark, check your card to make sure it notes "Diamond" status.  The reservations people will need to know that you are using your Diamond meal perk.

Edited by JAGR