Rotterdam Transatlantic

fabric_fabric

2 hours ago, Alfisti said:

The CO on Rotterdam is definitely worth it!  Also Sony, Lee, Anne, and Franco are the BEST on board!

I couldn't agree more! Sony ("Last name Playstation," he said to us) was super attentive, and Lee was just amazing.

10 hours ago, Linguist208 said:

Just curious... where is this stated? I see people say this here a lot, but no one from HAL ever mentioned it. If I hadn't seen it here, we could have easily propped our balcony door open every night.

In addition to Kazu's reply, letting you know specifically where HAL 'states' it, there is a former ships' engineer who has posted many times exactly how the HVAC system works, and what happens when the balcony door is left open. 
That. along with the sign on the door, is more than good enough for me.

• Like 8

With the new ventilation and HVAC systems which every cruise line is supposed to have installed on every ship due to COVID, each cabin should be a self-contained unit as far as its air goes.  Nobody should be sharing air anymore.

If HAL got by without doing this, let me know and I will be looking for another cruise line.

45 minutes ago, poinsettiaplate said:

With the new ventilation and HVAC systems which every cruise line is supposed to have installed on every ship due to COVID, each cabin should be a self-contained unit as far as its air goes.  Nobody should be sharing air anymore.

If HAL got by without doing this, let me know and I will be looking for another cruise line.

thank you for this reply.  It has been said for soooooo many years that getting fresh air into you cabin is something that no one should even think of doing.  I do not even reserve a hotel room that does not have a balcony or windows that open.  Possibly someone with current knowledge can say whether leaving your balcony door open to get fresh air affects everyone else on the ship.  I am addicted to fresh air no matter the outside temp.  And I understand that there are many on this forum who would not want to be on the same cruise as me.  Hoping that someone can clear up this discussion.   Possibly it is different depending on the ship?   Cherie

Edited by cccole

3 hours ago, cccole said:

thank you for this reply.  It has been said for soooooo many years that getting fresh air into you cabin is something that no one should even think of doing.  I do not even reserve a hotel room that does not have a balcony or windows that open.  Possibly someone with current knowledge can say whether leaving your balcony door open to get fresh air affects everyone else on the ship.  I am addicted to fresh air no matter the outside temp.  And I understand that there are many on this forum who would not want to be on the same cruise as me.  Hoping that someone can clear up this discussion.   Possibly it is different depending on the ship?   Cherie

Leaving the balcony door open may put stress on the ship’s heating and cooling systems.

The celebrity edge has the infinite verandas.   You can leave  the top half window open into the cabin, but the air gets shutoff.   I have heard that the ship will shut off air to true balcony cabins if the door tothe balcony is unlocked.  

Cherie;

I just got off Celebrity Silhouette, an older Celebrity ship that had been updated.  The signs on the balcony doors about not leaving them open have been removed.  Several different places, we were told how to leave our balcony doors open.  I took this to mean that Celebrity, indeed, has made all their cabins self-contained as far as ventilation and  HVAC goes, as the CDC wanted.  The AC did not go off with the balcony door open.

I have asked my TA to query HAL on this and will let you know if they have done some or all of their ships as they should have.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 5:14 PM, NCTribeFan said:

I've booked the Rotterdam TA for next April.  What is the charge to add Club Orange?

I need to check my booking and see what cabin I have (it's an interior).  I most definitely do NOT want heavy vibration for two weeks!

I believe the cost of Club Orange depends on the length of the cruise or some other random criteria. For our 21 day TA it cost $15/pp/pd. 

On 4/28/2022 at 1:49 AM, ScoutDiver said:

Leaving the balcony door open may put stress on the ship’s heating and cooling systems.

The celebrity edge has the infinite verandas.   You can leave  the top half window open into the cabin, but the air gets shutoff.   I have heard that the ship will shut off air to true balcony cabins if the door tothe balcony is unlocked.  

On 4/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, poinsettiaplate said:

Cherie;

I just got off Celebrity Silhouette, an older Celebrity ship that had been updated.  The signs on the balcony doors about not leaving them open have been removed.  Several different places, we were told how to leave our balcony doors open.  I took this to mean that Celebrity, indeed, has made all their cabins self-contained as far as ventilation and  HVAC goes, as the CDC wanted.  The AC did not go off with the balcony door open.

I have asked my TA to query HAL on this and will let you know if they have done some or all of their ships as they should have.

Hello Cherie:

This is the response from our Holland rep... 

As part of our COVID-19 protocols onboard all of our ships, we’ve implemented air management and ventilation strategies to maximize the use of outside, fresh air and the air exchange rate on board in public areas and suites. Where feasible, we utilize enhanced filters and other technologies to mitigate risk. Current evidence shows that fresh air is effective in reducing the concentration of airborne contaminants, including viruses. Our HVAC system updates are designed to create 10 air changes per hour on our vessels.

We have also increased the ship air conditioning system filtration standard to F7 filters (MERV 13), which are finer mesh filters and highly effective in filtering out airborne particles and viruses. In areas where F7 filtration cannot be installed due to technical limitations, portable HEPA filtration units and ultraviolet light (UV) have been installed.

Kind regards,

JENNY VERNA

Note that she did not answer the question:  Are the cabins now self-contained units as far as HVAC goes.  Her answer is good for what they are doing in the public areas.  

Like you, I will continue to open my balcony door while I am in my cabin and close it when I leave.  I always turn off the AC when possible.

14 minutes ago, poinsettiaplate said:

Hello Cherie:

This is the response from our Holland rep... 

As part of our COVID-19 protocols onboard all of our ships, we’ve implemented air management and ventilation strategies to maximize the use of outside, fresh air and the air exchange rate on board in public areas and suites. Where feasible, we utilize enhanced filters and other technologies to mitigate risk. Current evidence shows that fresh air is effective in reducing the concentration of airborne contaminants, including viruses. Our HVAC system updates are designed to create 10 air changes per hour on our vessels.

We have also increased the ship air conditioning system filtration standard to F7 filters (MERV 13), which are finer mesh filters and highly effective in filtering out airborne particles and viruses. In areas where F7 filtration cannot be installed due to technical limitations, portable HEPA filtration units and ultraviolet light (UV) have been installed.

Kind regards,

JENNY VERNA

Note that she did not answer the question:  Are the cabins now self-contained units as far as HVAC goes.  Her answer is good for what they are doing in the public areas.  

Like you, I will continue to open my balcony door while I am in my cabin and close it when I leave.  I always turn off the AC when possible.

I believe she did answer your question, but used different verbiage. The only cruise line that claims to have self-contained HVAC systems for individual staterooms is Virgin Ocean. There is no requirement for what you are asking about. The cruise lines have increased the filtration level and raised the number of air changes per minute. The airlines did essentially the same thing.

• Like 1