Bottomless Bubbles Package for Kids or Not Necessary?

melz1010

My daughter will be 8 years old when we cruise. Should I get the bottomless bubbles package for her? What does she get if she's not on a bottomless bubbles plan? Will this mean every cup of lemonade I will have to pay for? I guess I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting it for her or not. 

11 minutes ago, lennythenose said:

Lemonade, tea, water and juices (at breakfast) are available without the plan. We always bought Bubbles for our boys because they loved the fruit punch available at the bars. Plus  a soda or two and it’s was well with the $ for us. 

I heard about the milkshakes or Sundaes. I feel like I would get it just for that. 

No, we've gotten it for the older kids several times (including last week) and it's always a bust in the end. They swear they will drink "a lot of soda" but never drink enough sodas to cover it. They have to stand in lines at bars to use it and it's inconvenient. Just let her buy one if she wants one. That is, unless she's huge soda drinker and you regularly stock sodas at home, I don't, my kids are water babies and soda is only for dinners out or at friends/families houses who buy/drink it. We drink bubble water almost exclusively, well besides milk and flat water.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

At the buffet you can get cups of water, lemonade and hot tea.  They have half pint milk cartons (including chocolate sometimes) out in the morning.  If you ask at the buffet at lunch or dinner time one of the workers will go get milk at lunch or dinner.  We always gather a few milk cartons and keep them in the fridge in our room for when buffet is closed and someone wants milk.

9 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

No, we've gotten it for the older kids several times (including last week) and it's always a bust in the end. They swear they will drink "a lot of soda" but never drink enough sodas to cover it. They have to stand in lines at bars to use it and it's inconvenient. Just let her buy one if she wants one. That is, unless she's huge soda drinker and you regularly stock sodas at home, I don't, my kids are water babies and soda is only for dinners out or at friends/families houses who buy/drink it. We drink bubble water almost exclusively, well besides milk and flat water.  

She's not a soda drinker either. I usually allow her lemonade or apple juice or something like that and of course water. On vacation, I'm anything goes kind of mom. We're on vacation so I won't tell her no to soda but it may not be worth it.

32 minutes ago, melz1010 said:

She's not a soda drinker either. I usually allow her lemonade or apple juice or something like that and of course water. On vacation, I'm anything goes kind of mom. We're on vacation so I won't tell her no to soda but it may not be worth it.

I can dig it. I'm the same. I paid for both of them and they drank 9 sodas over 7 days between the two of them. I would have been better off paying for 9 sodas than the bubbles package. Last time I think they drank only 5 in 7 days. I won't be getting it anymore. If she can drink 21 or more sodas over the 7 days (or 3+ for however many days you sail) then it may be worth it, if not, just buying them is the way to go. You can also carry on a 12 pack each, which is nice to have sodas in the cabin and not have to run to a bar every time she wants one. Hope you have a great cruise!  

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

A couple of times I ordered myself a drink and ordered my son one. I gave both our cards and they’d put it on mine.  Which is funny because I’m specifically not supposed to do that. 
it definitely didn’t math out in the end. 

18 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

A couple of times I ordered myself a drink and ordered my son one. I gave both our cards and they’d put it on mine.  Which is funny because I’m specifically not supposed to do that. 
it definitely didn’t math out in the end. 

Probably because they noticed the same folio number and it really didn't matter. You can order a alcoholic beverage and a soda at the same time under cheers, or a alcoholic beverage and a water at the same time. 

• Like 1

America we have landed. Do you realize that water, tea, lemonade, coffee, hot chocolate and ice cream cones are included with your Cruise fare? Save that money and treat her to an Island gift or Fun Shop gift; she will cherish those things forever.  

• Like 1

Actually the fruit punch machines are quite nice, and free. The hot chocolate machines are also quite tasty, and allow me to make a poor man's mocha by adding some coffee. I'm not sure if Carnival doesn't allow sodas being brought aboard in ports, but on every other line I just bought a 2-liter soda on Catalina or Cabo, and I stop at convenience stores and buy a smaller bottle for walking around, and/or a can of beer. 

rj59, yes they do allow you to bring sodas back to your ship at your port stops(cans only). And FWIW, you are allowed to bring a 12 pack of soda cans, per person, upon embarkation at your home port. We do that on every cruise, as my wife is a huge coke fan. :classic_laugh:

Edited by Joe817
  • Like 1

My kids have never had bottomless bubbles. They pretty much only drink water, but I know milk and juice are available in the morning and lemonade and ice tea the rest of the day. Water is always available. 

My husband got it for himself once and I don’t think it was ‘worth it’ for him in the end. 

9 hours ago, rj59 said:

Actually the fruit punch machines are quite nice, and free. The hot chocolate machines are also quite tasty, and allow me to make a poor man's mocha by adding some coffee. I'm not sure if Carnival doesn't allow sodas being brought aboard in ports, but on every other line I just bought a 2-liter soda on Catalina or Cabo, and I stop at convenience stores and buy a smaller bottle for walking around, and/or a can of beer. 

I'm not entirely sure which cruise line you are used to sailing, but Carnival doesn't have a "fruit punch machine."  Coffee, tea (iced and hot), water, lemonade, and hot chocolate are all available without additional cost on Carnival.  

Also, you can carry on non-alcoholic beverages from any port; however, they must be within the guidelines (cans/cartons/pouches of 12oz or less each in a quantity of 12 per person).  If you choose to bring alcohol back (no matter the size), they will keep it for you until the end of the cruise.

30 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I'm not entirely sure which cruise line you are used to sailing, but Carnival doesn't have a "fruit punch machine."  Coffee, tea (iced and hot), water, lemonade, and hot chocolate are all available without additional cost on Carnival.  

Sure they do.  Its in the buffet in the same 4x dispenser used for lemonade and iced tea, and supplied with fruit juices at breakfast.  They don't always stock the punch in every dispenser.

Edited by Lane Hog

32 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Sure they do.  Its in the buffet in the same 4x dispenser used for lemonade and iced tea, and supplied with fruit juices at breakfast.  They don't always stock the punch in every dispenser.

If I remember correctly they call it passion fruit punch.  It makes a very tasty rum punch.  😁  

As for the bottomless bubbles, until Carnival makes it easier for kids to get soda I wouldn't bother.  They have to stand in line at one of the bars to get served and as long as there are adults in the vicinity the kids get ignored because bartenders know who tips better.

11 and 15 year old kids always complain about us never buying them soda at home.  We got them the bubbles and they weren't even close to getting their $ worth.  I don't think they ever drank more than 2 in a day ($6).

Thanks guys. I think she'll be fine. Does anyone know how much a cup of soda is anyway? I'm guessing $2 or $2.50 and she will drink more lemonade and water more than anything. So no drink package for her.  Thanks for helping me make my decision.

Depends on how much soda they drink. My son is a big soda drinker, but I definitely don't think we got our money's worth out of it. He got maybe 1 or 2 sodas per day. I did like that I didn't have to worry about him running up a tab though.

This is just me on my single specific cruise. ALL of the juices and available drinks that are included were super sweet. They all had to be cut with 50% water. It could have just been our sailing, but even after asking the crew working nothing changed. Just had to go with the fact that if you want lemonade or orange juice, fill the glass with half water and stir.

8 minutes ago, melz1010 said:

Thanks guys. I think she'll be fine. Does anyone know how much a cup of soda is anyway? I'm guessing $2 or $2.50 and she will drink more lemonade and water more than anything. So no drink package for her.  Thanks for helping me make my decision.

They only serve sodas from cans. And I don't remember the exact charge, but it was a little under $3 for a can of soda. 

• 3 weeks later...