Zero proof drinks

Princess1963

You can get any drink sans alcohol. You don't have to stick to the zero proof menu. Just ask for a virgin version of it and the bartenders will happily make it for you. You can even do this at the alchemy bar to make it more interesting. Have a great cruise!  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Princess1963 said:

I do not drink alcohol but could I get some ideas for best non alcohol drinks to try on my next cruise

Following,   Been looking for ideas.  We traded in the Bottomless Bubbles for the Cheers package for the June  cruise on the Mardi Gras. 

Last cruise was the March Sailbration cruise on the Freedom.  DW wanted a frozen drink without the alcohol. Bar tender made it.  From there She had tasted all the frozen ones from the menu.  

I’ll be willing to trying out different drinks like the zero proof beer, just for the heck of it. 

Sort of on topic, but message to anyone at Carnival

Make non-alcoholic menus. For some, walking up to a bar is intimidating, maybe because of our past indulgences. If we know what to ask for in advance, it eases anxiety and makes it easier for non-drinkers to order.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Make non-alcoholic menus. For some, walking up to a bar is intimidating, maybe because of our past indulgences. If we know what to ask for in advance, it eases anxiety and makes it easier for non-drinkers to order.

How would a non-alcoholic menu make walking up to a bar less intimidating? There is no need for a non-alcoholic menu, that would imply limitations and make people feel more intimidated and "different". They already have a non-alcoholic menu, it's the same as the alcoholic menu. Drinks are drinks, whether one chooses to have alcohol in it or a few ounces more of juice/soda/mixer doesn't really change the drink menu, quibbling over semantics won't change anything and why should those who choose not to imbibe be limited to non-alcoholic menus? They can choose any/every drink they want now, it isn't broke and doesn't need to be fixed.  

Edited by cruisingguy007

32 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Just curious but what do you find intimidating about walking up to a bar?

If you see something on the regular menu, just ask the bartender if it can be made without alcohol.  Most of the frozen ones can be (only was turned down once for a frozen chocolate type drink - something about the mix having the liquor in it). My husband doesn't drink and his go-to is any flavor of virgin daiquiri.  He's even gotten some interesting combinations at Alchemy.  Sometimes his is better than mine:)

I prefer Virgin Mary (spicy tomato juice)  -- it's my go drink on an airplane (and it's free). The electrolytes make it one of the better things to drink aloft.

If you like the fruity, perhaps virgin pina colada.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:11 AM, EngIceDave said:

It's intimidating to friends of Bill W

Hi,

Our little family, son Mark (last drink on his 17th birthday - he’s 30 now). And both my husband & myself — 17 & 10 years in 2022. Well, we’ve been active members in A.A. since Day 1.

It’s not at all intimidating to go to Carnival’s bars.  I could also apply this to land. Though we no longer go hang at “Bars” — what’s the point if you don’t drink alcohol?? 😄   We have dined in restaurants, in the Bar area, so my hubby can watch sports.  

Our favorite Mexican place, our go-to location, always the bar.  Also, IDK, but never felt the need to order icy fruity NA drinks on ships. Just too sweet! I get Club Soda & plain cold water. My treat? A Red Bull a day on a cruise. Never drank coffee or smoked. 

I just wanted to point out this out.  I can only speak from my own experience. Very, very comfy in my sobriety.

Now … my behavior in those drinking decades …. Ugh!   Seeing “normal” drinking is no biggie.

The really drunk folks … well they keep me humble … I’m just one drink away from that car crash!

For me, the AA Program is there …. to keep me on my Recovery Path.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

Our little family, son Mark (last drink on his 17th birthday - he’s 30 now). And both my husband & myself — 17 & 10 years in 2022. Well, we’ve been active members in A.A. since Day 1.

It’s not at all intimidating to go to Carnival’s bars.  I could also apply this to land. Though we no longer go hang at “Bars” — what’s the point if you don’t drink alcohol?? 😄   We have dined in restaurants, in the Bar area, so my hubby can watch sports.  

Our favorite Mexican place, our go-to location, always the bar.  Also, IDK, but never felt the need to order icy fruity NA drinks on ships. Just too sweet! I get Club Soda & plain cold water. My treat? A Red Bull a day on a cruise. Never drank coffee or smoked. 

I just wanted to point out this out.  I can only speak from my own experience. Very, very comfy in my sobriety.

Now … my behavior in those drinking decades …. Ugh!   Seeing “normal” drinking is no biggie.

The really drunk folks … well they keep me humble … I’m just one drink away from that car crash!

For me, the AA Program is there …. to keep me on my Recovery Path.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

I won't argue with you, but you should know that everyone is different. Anxieties, like alcoholism, is different for different people.

Surprising to read someone bag on another friend of Bill W for what they believe would make continuing sobriety easier for them. 

Simple example, because I certainly would never think of these combinations on my own. 

image.jpeg.161a3eca1c5793a406de50c842c23598.jpeg

On 4/28/2022 at 1:11 PM, EngIceDave said:

It's intimidating to friends of Bill W

Perhaps to people in early recovery, it is better to avoid situations that might "trigger" a relapse, like ordering at the bar.

However, the program is empowering, and if done in earnest, a friend of bill can go anywhere, and not be affected by the presence of alcohol.  They may be placed in a position of neutrality towards alcohol, neither attracted nor repulsed by it. The problem has been removed for them, it simply doesn't exist for those who have recovered from alcoholism.  See AA's Big Book, page 84 &85.

Think of recovery from addiction like remission from cancer or some other disease.  

• Like 1

I wasn't being critical of you, just pointing out that your statement about uncomfortability around alcohol varies among people in recovery.  If someone is new, or uncomfortable around alcohol, avoidance is a great tactic.  If really shaky, delaying the cruise may be in order.  Deciding on a course of action prior to boarding can be a matter of life and death.

There are meetings on board the ship, and one can always ask someone in their party to get non alcoholic drinks for them if they don't wish to lean against the bar and order for themselves.  Keeping contact with a home support group member is also possible via text or phone.  Bringing literature or the Grapevine to read can help.

But honestly, there are bars every 30 feet, waiters are prowling the decks, theaters and shows, and it is hard not to be face to face with alcohol on a cruise ship several times each hour.  The program of recovery is designed to allow former drunks to learn how to coexist with alcohol.  Sobriety is progressive, and the more effort and time that is put into a program of recovery allows for the alcohol problem to go away and become non-existant.

W

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

My post spoke of MY own personal experience.  I was not “bagging” on my fellows.  

EvanandBob , and thank you for your share.   Well said! 🙂

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Markmom18, I thought your comments were inspiring. I think it is great that you are so comfortable in your sobriety that you can sit at the bar in a Mexican restaurant and not want one of those hand crafted

margaritas. 

8 hours ago, tigereye said:

Markmom18, I thought your comments were inspiring. I think it is great that you are so comfortable in your sobriety that you can sit at the bar in a Mexican restaurant and not want one of those hand crafted

margaritas. 

🙏🏼🌌📘💙

with gratitude . 

On 4/27/2022 at 7:13 AM, Princess1963 said:

I do not drink alcohol but could I get some ideas for best non alcohol drinks to try on my next cruise

this might seem off topic but also do not forget speciality coffees are also covered by the cheers! so you can get milkshakes and coffees 🥰