Club Balcony Suites?

My family (me, hubby, 6 year old twins) are considering a cruise on the Gataway. The cabin squre footage is larger on the club balcony suites than the regular Balcony rooms - but where is this extra square footage? I think the bathrooms have a tub.  Is the extra sqaure footage is all in the bathroom?  Then, I don't think the cost increase is worth it to me. If the room itself is actually larger, I think the extra $200 would be worth it.  Thoughts?

Not sure about the Getaway specifically, but on most ships the extra space is in the bathroom only. If having a tub is important to you with 6yr olds, then it may be worth it for that alone as most other rooms only have a shower. 

There's some other minor perks that come with the club balcony suites too - free bag of laundry, some snacks in the room, etc. The location of the cabins is also different. Some of the club balconies are in more 'prime' or desirable locations. So if the price difference is $200 total, to me that would be worth it.

1 hour ago, illiniwahoo said:

My family (me, hubby, 6 year old twins) are considering a cruise on the Gataway. The cabin squre footage is larger on the club balcony suites than the regular Balcony rooms - but where is this extra square footage? I think the bathrooms have a tub.  Is the extra sqaure footage is all in the bathroom?  Then, I don't think the cost increase is worth it to me. If the room itself is actually larger, I think the extra $200 would be worth it.  Thoughts?

The room size is almost identical. The extra space is in the bathroom where the club balcony gets double sinks (which only one person can stand in front of) and a full size shower (versus transporter tube). 

The club room gets a few perks including a free bag of laundry. 

A family room may get a tub... but don't count on it. 

As we have gotten older and less mobile, we always book a club room for the bigger shower. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The room size is almost identical. The extra space is in the bathroom where the club balcony gets double sinks (which only one person can stand in front of) and a full size shower (versus transporter tube). 

And there went my coffee all over the keyboard..."transporter tube" - hilarious because it is so very accurate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, illiniwahoo said:

After final payment of my Joy sailing at the end of June, the price went down, so I upgraded to a Club Balcony Suite for a little less than $200 for me, my wife and 22yo daughter.

I'm thinking it's a good value just for the bathroom.

It's way bigger. The double sink is nice, but the extra large walk in shower is something that I know we'll enjoy. Heck, 2 people can actually be in the bathroom at the same time.

I'm guessing the cabin is slightly larger (negligible) but I wouldn't upgrade if that's the only thing important to you.

And, the only perk with real monetary value, is the free bag of laundry. 

We'll definitely use that as my daughter and I will go to the gym and have some nasty, sweaty clothes accumulating in our cabin. Lol.

As others have said, the main difference is the bathroom. I have  booked a club balcony on the Escape, where the bathroom is quite a bit larger than in a regular balcony cabin. The sofa (where the third person would sleep), is also larger if I remember correctly (maybe 3 "seats" instead of 2 "seats"?) in a club balcony than in a regular balcony cabin. All Club Balcony used to have a bathtub - but on several ships this has been changed to a shower in recent years. I don't know if that is the case for the Getaway.

Here is a photo of a club balcony bathroom on the Escape:

Ingen beskrivelse er tilgjengelig.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

As we have gotten older and less mobile, we always book a club room for the bigger shower. 

The toilet space is also bigger.  If you're even moderately large, you'll find it cramped on balconies and below.  Between that, and the perks, it's worth a modest premium to upgrade.  Would I pay substantially more?  Probably not.

If a bathtub is important, I'd try and get one of the Family Club Balcony Suite rooms.  On the website is says they come with a tub (I'd call and verify that first).  

Family Club Balcony Suite

Perfect if you want to bring the kids, these Family Club Balcony Suite are conveniently located near the kids' area, includes two beds that convert to a queen, extra bedding for additional guest(s) and a bathtub. Hang out with the gang and enjoy the view from your own private balcony.

• Accommodates: 4
  • Total Approx. Size: 22 m2
  • Balcony Size: 2 m2

We were able to upgrade to a club balcony suite on the Jewel for about $100.  This was just after all of the bath tubs were removed.  We’re looking forward to the larger bathroom and shower.  But if Haven prices drop, we will either bid or upgrade.  

It's mostly the bathroom, but there is a foot or so difference in how deep the cabin is on most ships too (in the sofa half) - and it makes more of a difference than you'd think. Was just on the Star in a club balcony, and in that case the balcony itself was actually deeper too.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:43 AM, smillerholmes said:

And there went my coffee all over the keyboard..."transporter tube" - hilarious because it is so very accurate!

We have been cursing for several decades. So, I admit that the showers today are much, much, much better than "the old days" (when they were literally round tubes). And the cruise lines have engineered the space to take advantage of every angle they can to give you space around the toilet and in the shower footprint. But for us, getting around and doing contortions in the shower has become more of a challenge as we have got older and less mobile. 

Balcony Room Shower

image.thumb.png.88454a95e28e810a5f5bb949f99a23de.png

Club Mini-Suite Shower

image.png.f7830366928b008572652072ae76f37a.png

• Like 1

On the Breakaway they have Club Balcony's forward on the 8th deck with very large balcony's

The balcony had 2 lounge chairs a table and 2 regular chairs with plenty of room to walk.

They are open to the decks above, but we felt they were worth the extra $ on 2 Bermuda cruises.

They are more than the other Club balconies, but we like to sit outside while in port

We also enjoy the extra space in the bathroom, but everyone has their own opinion. A few cruises ago we booked a club balcony for the first time. Now that's the only type of cabin we will book because of the bigger bathroom.

• Like 1

When our son was younger we used to book mini suites (as they were then called) on the older ships, as the sofa bed blocks the balcony door in a balcony room, but not in a club suite when in use.

As we are now sailing by ourselves there is little benefit for us of the club suite. I’ve just used a free upgrade to get one, but wouldn’t pay extra over a balcony room.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We have been cursing for several decades. So, I admit that the showers today are much, much, much better than "the old days" (when they were literally round tubes). And the cruise lines have engineered the space to take advantage of every angle they can to give you space around the toilet and in the shower footprint. But for us, getting around and doing contortions in the shower has become more of a challenge as we have got older and less mobile. 

Same here; it's just the military in me, I guess.  I try not to be so foul-mouthed, but...

😜😄

• Haha 6