Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 18

Pictures taken between Monday, May 2 and Sunday, May 8.

May! May! - May! May! May! May! May! May! May! May! (May 2 - May 8 ). May photos please!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Edited by pierces

Tuesday morning, black swan event and a blue bird of happiness.

Black swans are native to Australia, the only white swan colony was swans introduced from England in the late 19th century at a Western Australian town called Northam.

Black swans

bswan2.thumb.jpg.0eee0125e3194e85e3ccc30d7d5cfa3c.jpg

Superb fairy wren (male)

bswan1.thumb.jpg.67884263b34638d108270c084f0bba3a.jpg

• Like 5

Earlier this year, I made a promise to myself to pay less attention to the lingering pandemic projects and more to my favorite hobby. To date, the resolution has been moderately successful with only a week or two finding me scrambling at the last minute to find anything remotely photogenic. This week had a lot going on with our Mother’s Day family event. It happened on Saturday to accommodate work schedules so all the family’s mothers could attend. It went well but left me with no photos since I was doing the grilling. Fortunately, I spent some time earlier in the week playing with the macro lens and Photoshop to capture and process a stack of ten images into a closeup of one of this week’s tulip blooms.

Flower²

730823153_2022-18FlowerPower.thumb.jpg.1d3684ca064bf4575b2b31920b9e4b8d.jpg

Dave

• Like 6

I managed to get out to the wetlands twice this weekend - and so far, only finished loading and processing the batch from Saturday, May 7th - which was just a short few hours' walk after getting a haircut.  The day was overcast and threatening rain, so I made a last-minute decision to blow the few spare hours I had after the haircut to check out the wildlife.  I went again on Sunday, a better-day sun-wise, but those will have to come in a separate post when I get around to them.  For now, here are some of the Saturday sightings:

A black-crowned night heron hanging out by the water:

original.jpg

Closeup of a blue dasher dragonfly:

original.jpg

Momma mottled duck with all her ducklings following her around:

original.jpg

A great blue heron and a pig frog...things going very well for the heron but not so well for the frog:

original.jpg

The pig frog lined up properly in the heron's bill, inevitably headed one-way...down that throat:

original.jpg

This fella is just showing off.  The male wood duck in full breeding plumage, looking like quite the gaudy Hollywood star, all dappered up:

original.jpg

Meanwhile, the female wood duck doesn't need to do much to attract a mate - she can be as plain-jane as she wants...here, she's got a ragged bunch of growing ducklings to watch over:

original.jpg

• Like 6

Walked down to the waterfront this morning. Looking across to Stations Pier in Port Melbourne.

Sill no cruise ships. Perhaps October.

Instead we have the HMAS Stalwart III, and oil refueller. In the background is the Spirit of Tasmania preparing for its journey to Devonport in Tasmania.

Stalwart1.thumb.jpg.28120f4bc242b2fa2363a8996ac70a92.jpg

• Like 3