Mardi Gras April 23-30: Honest thoughts, good and not so good

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

There's Priority CHECK-IN and Priority DISEMBARKATION.

I didn't say a word about disembarkation. Priority disembarkation still exists and works great.

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

Priority boarding and having your room ready when boarding went out after the restart. And from what has come down the grapevine it won't be back.  

I could see them bringing FTTF back with early access to the cabins, since that is pure revenue. But I agree I don't see them bringing it back (at least anytime soon) as a non-paid perk.

18 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Maybe that will happen at the same time there are more food options after 10:00 pm.  Possibly on the Celebration?

Ahh yes, the "Dark Times" after ten pm, when NO complimentary food options  (not even the deli or Late Night Snacks on Lido) are open on the Mardi Gras...except the pizzeria.  

53 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

Ahh yes, the "Dark Times" after ten pm, when NO complimentary food options  (not even the deli or Late Night Snacks on Lido) are open on the Mardi Gras...except the pizzeria.  

Frustrating versus our other two post Covid trips.  We did the Celebrity Apex in January who had a mini buffet open till 100 am and the Discovery Princess had their International Cafe open 24 hrs.  It was an area that had mini sandwiches, pastries, vegetable crudites and espresso based coffees.  It was also on deck 5 off of their central Piazza.   The only thing I have seen better than the IC cafe was the 24 hour pub open on the newer builds on NCL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

Just off a B2B on the Mardi Gras, and there were late night snacks at the Pig & Anchor every night from 11:30 - 1:00. Never partook myself, so I don't know what was offered. 😎

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Just off a B2B on the Mardi Gras, and there were late night snacks at the Pig & Anchor every night from 11:30 - 1:00. Never partook myself, so I don't know what was offered. 😎

Awesome! Anyone else getting hungry? 🙋‍♀️

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 6:07 AM, Jamman54 said:

We tried these one night, actually hanging out at the P&A bar until the snacks came out.  Most of it was good, but there was one small sandwich that had a bun that was inedible.  Literally rock hard.  We had already taken them back to the room so I did not bring it to anyone's attention, nor did I get a picture. 

But, as I said, most was really good and there were plenty of folks lined up for the snacks.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, obx_fintoo said:

We tried these one night, actually hanging out at the P&A bar until the snacks came out.  Most of it was good, but there was one small sandwich that had a bun that was inedible.  Literally rock hard.  We had already taken them back to the room so I did not bring it to anyone's attention, nor did I get a picture. 

But, as I said, most was really good and there were plenty of folks lined up for the snacks.  

It was a pleasure meeting you guys on board! 😎

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:32 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Entertainment can be just as subjective as food is.  It all depends upon your likes and dislikes and when you grew up.

We did 14 days on the MG in February and have another 14 days booked over Labor Day.  Since you didn't like Rock Revolution and only like family oriented comedy, you're probably parents in your 30's who did not listen to the music your parents would have listened to which the Rock Revolution show was based on.  On the other hand, looking forward to seeing RR in August and comedy wise we went to one family and about 10 adult shows over our B2B.

Will agree with you about Shaq's chicken and his fries being a notch above the new ones at Guy's.

The noodle bowl with broth at Chibang's for lunch on sea days was fantastic, once again proving that food is subjective.

You are right, entertainment preferences are definitely subjective.  However, we only wish we were still in our 30's, we actually have children in their 30's 😀

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2022 at 8:34 PM, newpherchris said:

I was also on this sailing - I didn't realize the Playlist Production shows in the theater and Center Stage shows were two different groups!

The three main Center Stage singers were some of the best we've seen in all of our cruises.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

You are right, entertainment preferences are definitely subjective.  However, we only wish we were still in our 30's, we actually have children in their 30's 😀

If you have kids in their 30's then the Rock Revolution songs should have been in your wheelhouse since they were late 60's early 70's.

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you have kids in their 30's then the Rock Revolution songs should have been in your wheelhouse since they were late 60's early 70's.

Our music preference falls more in late 70's and 80's. We are in our mid 50's. There were a few songs in the RR show that we knew, but we weren't really impressed with the performers.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 8:34 PM, newpherchris said:

We enjoyed several nights each at Cucina (outside, lovely!) and Chibang!, and didn't have to sit in anyone's lap at either venue. We had a fantastic cruise and will definitely sail MG again, hopefully with Bolt running the next time

We definitely enjoyed our cruise, even with some things we didn't like.  We are already booked on Mardi Gras for the same week next year, as well as both of the coming sister ships (Celebration next September, and Jubilee in 2024).

I'm curious because I mentioned to my wife that the outdoor Cucina seating looked nice.  How did you get that seating since the app just assigned a table?  Did you request a change when you got there?

4 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We definitely enjoyed our cruise, even with some things we didn't like.  We are already booked on Mardi Gras for the same week next year, as well as both of the coming sister ships (Celebration next September, and Jubilee in 2024).

I'm curious because I mentioned to my wife that the outdoor Cucina seating looked nice.  How did you get that seating since the app just assigned a table?  Did you request a change when you got there?

Yes, you just ask the hostess that you want an outside table, and if one is avaiable, they'll change your table. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, kwokpot said:

I was on this particular cruise(and the week prior for a b2b) and also on the MG's fifth sailing back in September. As we all know a show is as good as it's performers. The problem with the current cast (at least on the sailing in question) of Playlist performers is the female vocalists are very, very weak. In fact they were so weak that the Penultimate number from Rock Revolution, Janis Joplin's Piece of My Heart, was NOT sung by a woman but was done as a duet by TWO MEN! 

When I saw the saw last September I was blown away by the female vocalist's rendition of that song. She embodied everything that was Janis Joplin. When I watched the show again last month, when the female vocalist that would have done that song first opened her mouth I thought to myself, Oh No, she's going to butcher Piece of My Heart. But it was obvious to the vocal manager onboard that she couldn't carry that song so they rewrote it as a duet for two men. 

I would completely agree with that assessment.  That was my point as well with the playlist shows.  They could have been much better talent wise.  Though I felt the three Center Stage singers were good.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:18 PM, BasicSailor said:

Priority boarding and having your room ready when boarding went out after the restart. And from what has come down the grapevine it won't be back. Only Suites are made ready now.

Yes.  This was our third cruise since the start back.  On our January cruise, our room was ready and our cards were waiting when we boarded around 10:45.  It's just inconsistent now, even on the same ship some will be ready and others not.  I'm thinking you are probably right about the grapevine, but who knows.

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We didn't request an outside table at Cucina in March but were seated out there anyway.  The only problem was the sun was right in our eyes so they moved us to another outside table which was fine.

• Like 1

Nice review!  I agree with you about the theater and the elevators.  The theater is a downgrade from the dream class and the elevators are a downgrade from the Vista class, in my opinion.  The rest of the ship was amazing, especially the show area in mid-ship.    

We also didn't like M Theory at all and didn't watch any of the theater shows.  What we watched of the shows in the middle area was very good.  We saw nearly all of the family and adult comedy shows.  The sheer number of different shows and comedians was incredible.  I am glad you enjoyed your cruise.  We really enjoyed ours too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 5:19 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Frustrating versus our other two post Covid trips.  We did the Celebrity Apex in January who had a mini buffet open till 100 am and the Discovery Princess had their International Cafe open 24 hrs.  It was an area that had mini sandwiches, pastries, vegetable crudites and espresso based coffees.  It was also on deck 5 off of their central Piazza.   The only thing I have seen better than the IC cafe was the 24 hour pub open on the newer builds on NCL.

I guess the Promenade Café on Royal's bigger ships sounds similar, with finger sandwiches and some desserts 24 hours...although it seemed subpar on our last cruise comparing to previous charter cruises on the same ship.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:07 AM, Jamman54 said:

Our prayers have been answered!   😄 

What sort of late-night snacks were offered?  The usual sandwiches and maybe a pasta dish?