Molikini recommendations

dogdoc2002

Does anyone have recommendations on a snorkeling excursion to Molikini? We'll be on the POA in late November 2022 and would like to do this the first day in port (planning to do the Haleakala sunrise the morning of the second day). We'll likely have a rental car, so it would have to be either a tour that picks up from the pier or one a bit later in the morning so we'd have time to pick up the rental car.

Thanks

Assuming you are docking in Kahului,  you will want to leave from Maalaea Harbor. This way you don't have to cross the Pali, which is the only way to get from the west side of the island to the east and it has a mind of it's own.

It's about 20 minutes from Kahului. Trilogy and Pacific Whale both have multiple trips to Molokini  from Maalaea. Pacific Whale will be on a 3 decker catamaran type hull boat. Trilogy is a regular catamaran. Take a look at the photos on the web page and pick the tour that speaks to you, you can't go wrong with either. I've been on both.

If the POA is docking in Lahaina, then you will want to select a boat from Lahaina harbor (or possibly Mala Harbor). Trilogy and Pac Whale both have regular catamarans leaving from there. There are also many zodiac companies leaving from Lahaina. I like ultimate or hawaiian adventures. Captain steves leaves from the Mala ramp. Just depends on what you want. I love them all.

I do want to give you a heads up to maybe adjust your expectations about the snorkeling at Molokini. The reef is very damaged from so many people (and their sunscreen). It's a lovely trip, and there is stuff to see, but like many over-snorkeled reefs, the damage is visible. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@BermudaBound2014 POA dock in Lahaina? When has that happened? (Besides the fact Lahaina is a tender port?)

Molokini is a long sail from Lahaina. 

Don't know if POA has ever docked there, but with all that work that is going on in the harbor it wouldn't surprise me to see more ships calling here instead of Kahului which is nothing more than an industrial port. It would be infinitely better.

Maybe the catamarans aren't sailing to Molokini from Lahaina? You are right, that would be a long sail.  Most recently the snorkeling I've taken from Lahaina has gone to Lanai and Honolua, so maybe the op can't even get to Molokini from Lahaina via catamaran. I would think someone would be offering Molokini from Lahania though, as it would be a really lovely full day excursion. OP, double check and let us know please 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do want to give you a heads up to maybe adjust your expectations about the snorkeling at Molokini. The reef is very damaged from so many people (and their sunscreen). It's a lovely trip, and there is stuff to see, but like many over-snorkeled reefs, the damage is visible. 

I agree with this-- its gotten steadily and steadily worse on Molokini and there are always a ton of people. If you are picturing pristine coral diving in an uncrowded cove, this is not what reality will end up as. 

I'm a big fan of Capt Steve's Lanai snorkeling trips. Much less coral damage, hardly anyone but your own boat around, and you get some great interactions with the dolphins on the way over (and a free whale watching tour both ways when thats in season). 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...