Didn't know how good I had it!

neverlaysup

On 5/4/2022 at 9:24 AM, Big_G said:

We like both Royal and Celebrity for their differences. We think the suite experience on Celebrity far exceeds Royal but we love those Crown Loft Suites. Royal entertainment far exceeds Celebrity hands down and night life for us on Royal is pub music, piano bar, and closing the night club. Celebrity has some good music too just not as much and what we like. Both lines market to different cruisers. Some times when you've become accustomed to the way of your favorite cruise line it may take a while to navigate a new one. We've never stood in line on an Oasis Class ship so it's doable. 

Agree here. We like both but for different reasons. Like the non smoking interior rules of Celebrity ships along with only one announcement per day. RCI’s entertainment on their Oasis class ships is the best that we have experienced on any ship. Celebrity does suites better unless you book Star class on RCI. 

Glad to see that RCI has placed the Navigator out here on the west coast. We can drive to the port in under two hours and it’s a nice getaway. We have cruised twice in the last few months and have four more NV cruises booked.

We tend to stay away from buffets and the MDR on both RCI and Celebrity. We pay for the specialty dining restaurants as we like the smaller venues and better service. Neither line does well in casual dining or the MDR IMHO. We actually thought that Jamie’s Italian and Chop’s on the Navigator was as good or better than anything on Celebrity can offer. 

Both lines are targeting two different passengers. Each has their strong and weak points but we like them both. It’s nice to have options.

• Like 1

I have sailed on RCL ,NCL, HA, Princess and Celebrity. I have to say they are more alike than different. I started on RCL in 1991 so I am one of the old people cruising on their ships. Many of us started on RCL so have at least Diamond status and will cruise for the perks. I have been on Celebrity more of late but I did a NCL Haven in November and loved it. I will have my first suite on Celebrity in June so I will be interested to see how they compare with NCL Haven. My comment on the mega ships is that they are fun on TA’s . So much to do and plenty of places to people watch. Their lack of outdoor space is not a problem as TA’s can be cold and windy. 

Thank you for creating this post.  We have been loyal to Royal. We have been planning on trying other cruise lines and finally booked The Celebrity Constellation for May 25, 2023 Mediterranean. My husband is a creature of habit.  We booked a suite on this sailing.  Please share with me any tips, tricks or must Do's on our celebrity sailing.  I have been reading this thread. I love the big ships.  I like the shows, entertainment, dining options and  the comedians.  My husband prefers the smaller ships.  His favorite so far is Independence of the seas. For those of you that have traveled with Royal, is the check in the same?  Which Royal ship would you say is most comparable to the Constellation? I am not real fussy with food.  I love to try new things.  My husband is a very basic kind of guy.  Meat potatoes, hot dogs, burgers and pizza.  What do you suggest as far as dining?   

5 minutes ago, crusinot said:

Thank you for creating this post.  We have been loyal to Royal. We have been planning on trying other cruise lines and finally booked The Celebrity Constellation for May 25, 2023 Mediterranean. My husband is a creature of habit.  We booked a suite on this sailing.  Please share with me any tips, tricks or must Do's on our celebrity sailing.  I have been reading this thread. I love the big ships.  I like the shows, entertainment, dining options and  the comedians.  My husband prefers the smaller ships.  His favorite so far is Independence of the seas. For those of you that have traveled with Royal, is the check in the same?  Which Royal ship would you say is most comparable to the Constellation? I am not real fussy with food.  I love to try new things.  My husband is a very basic kind of guy.  Meat potatoes, hot dogs, burgers and pizza.  What do you suggest as far as dining?   

The Constellation would be similar in size to the Radiance class on RCI. 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, phoenix_dream said:

Why are you seeing so many older folks onboard RCI?  As a senior myself (but loyal to Celebrity) I think there are several reasons.  One is that even if you don't see them together all the time they may be traveling with their families.  But I think the other two reasons are more likely.  The first is that Royal is the one who is always advertising on TV (at least in my area).  Many people don't bother to do research they just see something and go for it.  They don't research other cruise lines to determine the best option for them.  They're retired, they want to try cruising, so they go with what has been presented to them the most.  The second is that they are (as a friend of mine would say) "Loyal to Royal".  They started sailing Royal years and years ago and never tried another cruise line so they don't know any better, and don't want to know any better.  They are comfortable because they know the product so they know how to handle life onboard a Royal ship.  Frankly, that's how I feel about Celebrity and why I am reluctant to go back to trying other lines like Holland, which many say is very similar.  Obviously these answers don't apply to everyone as people are all different regardless of age.  But I think these reasons are the most likely.

we sailed Carnival for several years & were happy......we got older & stepped up to RC.  We sailed them for several years & were happy.....we got older & stepped up to Celebrity....and now we are VERY HAPPY.  As they say, life comes at you fast.  What you like & what makes you happy when are 25, is not the same thing that makes you happy when you are 65....life changes, people change....and cruises change....!!!

8 hours ago, 3red7s said:

we sailed Carnival for several years & were happy......we got older & stepped up to RC.  We sailed them for several years & were happy.....we got older & stepped up to Celebrity....and now we are VERY HAPPY.  As they say, life comes at you fast.  What you like & what makes you happy when are 25, is not the same thing that makes you happy when you are 65....life changes, people change....and cruises change....!!!

Sooo true! We stopped cruising RC because we changed, not because they changed!

8 hours ago, crusinot said:

Your husband may find the Luminae (suite restaurant) menu a bit challenging. It isn’t so much that the food is fancy, rather that the menu makes it sound so. If you research some posts on Luminae there are some excellent photographs. You can also order from the MDR on Constellation so he can simply order from there if the Luminae choices don’t appeal to him. Generally we have found Celebrity food in all venues better than RC.

Constellation does have shows but not the range of variety as on most RC ships. Our favourite entertainment on Celebrity are the duo’s or small groups that appear at different venues. Unlike on RC where announcements are made regularly on Celebrity you do need to look at your copy of ‘Today’ to spot where and when there are performances. It is nice after dinner to simply look at your sheet and decide where to go…Also with a Mediterranean cruise you have long sight seeing days and entertainment can be less of a priority.

The suite lounge is much nicer (in our opinion) than those we have experienced on RC. Better service, less crowded.

Constellation has yet to be upgraded so does not have a suite only deck area.

Remember your loyalty status on RC can be transferred over to Celebrity. 

• Like 1

We sailed on the Freedom of the Seas a few years ago.  We did enjoy ourselves and thought the shows and cruise director were wonderful. but the ship definitely felt crowed, especially in the Windjammer.  We often had difficulty finding a table and we’re disappointed that there was no outside area to eat in.  We also felt the food there was subpar compared to Celebrity’s lunch buffet.  We love to cruise as feel it’s one of the most stress free vacations but found having to book shows ( and always receiving emails that the time or date of one of the shows had changed and therefore had to rebook everything) very stressful.  We also didn’t like having to sign out towels at the pool.  We have found over the years that Celebrity is a great fit for us.