Didn't know how good I had it!

neverlaysup

We have primarily sailed Celebrity over the years but I recently took my nephew on an 8 day cruise with RCL and just got off another (free) 5 day cruise by RCL. The differences between the brands is staggering but the cost is very similar or more on RCL (if you try to have the same thing as X). In the last two cruises, I realized the only thing I liked better about Royal was the piano bar and that is it. Given the large amount of older passengers that I saw on these cruises, I wonder what the draw is for them? Anyway, just my opinion here but I need to book another X cruise quickly to get that experience out of my head!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, George C said:

I think rccl has several things going for them , entertainment is #1. We prefer celebrity but don’t understand why there is no piano bar which most lines seem to have. 

They do depending what you are looking for entertainment wise. I will say on this 5 day LA cruise, the food at the Windjammer was terrible and with only about 55% pax, it was way over crowded. There were few to no two person tables at standard MDR seating times and we were forced to sit with others which I was somewhat OK with but I was never given the choice. When I voiced my concern with the Maitre d', he was less than helpful, insisting it was pretty difficult to change. After visiting the first night, there were tons of empty tables, not really sure what the problem was. We ended up with some really nice table mates so it all worked out. $89 plus 20% gratuity for a drink package is absolute robbery, thankfully we each had 4 diamond drinks per day. Having to swipe my card for pool towels or blankets was something I could not quite understand....is there really a towel theft issue that needs to be reigned it by this? Not bringing children and not really caring about Flowriders and waterslides, I will stick to X for my big ship experience and Windstar for small ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, 39august said:

Just curious which RCI ship? I couldn't agree more that X is head and shoulders above for the experience we want. 

Did the 8 day on Odyssey and the 5 day on Navigator. Liked the Odyssey a bit more than Navigator but found both to feel really crowded at buffet and pool, even with 50-60% capacity.

I’m afraid my ‘geezer’ is coming out. We did the Oasis cruise and will Never do that again. Agree that the entertainment is tops on RCL - full broadway play. Being Elite+, we enjoyed the special club on Oasis, but other than that….nope. 

If I want to go to Central Park, I’ll go to NYC; I hated all the waiting in line and crowding for the dining in the park areas; even if you’d like a park in the middle of a ship, you couldn’t enjoy it that much because 2,000 others ‘enjoyed’ it with you. And of course all the special zip lines, surf areas and so on had huge lines that took a long time to then try the thing out for a min or so. And no interest anyway.

As many say, great for families. But when I wanted my kids to enjoy an amusement park, I’d take them to one; when I wanted to enjoy Central Park, I went to NYC; when we cruised we went on a real ship, something you knew you were at sea on. My kids Loved Celebrity even though it’s not known for kid-focused stuff. the ships got the kids together, now Camp, they met friends and enjoyed it all.

One couple with us booked what they thought was a baloney - it was….overlooking the exterior Central Park stuff and it was Noisy! 

So no, I’d consider, I guess, one of the older smaller RCL’s, but I’m sticking with X unless there is a specific reason to go with another Lines…..such as cruise up the Mississippi!!

I’ve tried small ‘luxury’ lines and that one monster RCL. I like what is considered medium sized….isn’t that crazy…a ship with 3,000 is, for me, medium! 

Den

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I read the Loyal Royal boards and I’m bemused.  Like you, I prefer Celebrity head and heels over Royal, even though I am Diamond Plus on Royal which got me Elite on Celebrity.  I understand the appeal for families with children…but the Windjammer and the MDR are not my cup of tea at all.  Royal’s specialty restaurants may be wonderful but I don’t want to have to pay extra.  I’m happy with Solstice and Edge Class!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I read the Loyal Royal boards and I’m bemused.  Like you, I prefer Celebrity head and heels over Royal, even though I am Diamond Plus on Royal which got me Elite on Celebrity.  I understand the appeal for families with children…but the Windjammer and the MDR are not my cup of tea at all.  Royal’s specialty restaurants may be wonderful but I don’t want to have to pay extra.  I’m happy with Solstice and Edge Class!

Especially E-Class with the 4 MDRs. Love that! I think X missed the mark not saying “we have 4 Specialty Restaurants on E-Class but we will allow All to enjoy them Free”!

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Especially E-Class with the 4 MDRs. Love that! I think X missed the mark not saying “we have 4 Specialty Restaurants on E-Class but we will allow All to enjoy them Free”!

Heh, that wouldn't even been much of a stretch for a Marketing department with the nerve to claim IVs are anything but really big windows! 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

To each our own…..I enjoy the IV. It turns my entire SR into a veranda and making it much larger. Most of the ‘balconies’ I’ve been on many other ships have an overhang and walls on each side. And personally I dont spend time sunbathing 

But understand those that do not enjoy IV. X has two other Class ships which are just great. 

Den

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Heh, that wouldn't even been much of a stretch for a Marketing department with the nerve to claim IVs are anything but really big windows! 😂

We have been on E class twice, once in Aqua and once in Sky Suite. I didn't mind the IV that much but it could be because we were placed in an accessible cabin that was larger than a Sky Suite. My biggest issue is letting the warm air into my cabin when I put the window down. I know the divider can help keep the A/C in but I understand why so many hate it.

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I’m afraid my ‘geezer’ is coming out. We did the Oasis cruise and will Never do that again. Agree that the entertainment is tops on RCL - full broadway play. Being Elite+, we enjoyed the special club on Oasis, but other than that….nope. 

If I want to go to Central Park, I’ll go to NYC; I hated all the waiting in line and crowding for the dining in the park areas; even if you’d like a park in the middle of a ship, you couldn’t enjoy it that much because 2,000 others ‘enjoyed’ it with you. And of course all the special zip lines, surf areas and so on had huge lines that took a long time to then try the thing out for a min or so. And no interest anyway.

As many say, great for families. But when I wanted my kids to enjoy an amusement park, I’d take them to one; when I wanted to enjoy Central Park, I went to NYC; when we cruised we went on a real ship, something you knew you were at sea on. My kids Loved Celebrity even though it’s not known for kid-focused stuff. the ships got the kids together, now Camp, they met friends and enjoyed it all.

One couple with us booked what they thought was a baloney - it was….overlooking the exterior Central Park stuff and it was Noisy! 

So no, I’d consider, I guess, one of the older smaller RCL’s, but I’m sticking with X unless there is a specific reason to go with another Lines…..such as cruise up the Mississippi!!

I’ve tried small ‘luxury’ lines and that one monster RCL. I like what is considered medium sized….isn’t that crazy…a ship with 3,000 is, for me, medium! 

Den

I love rccl Central Park , live music and almost zero chance of being mugged , loads of different bars and restaurants and I am in my 70’s 

• Like 3

We tried Oasis pre covid times, and could not wait for the cruise to end.

It was crowded everywhere, the computer rm was tiny and in the library many super seniors were snoring and drooling the afternoon away! Similar group in the upstairs lounge  by day.....no quiet places to read!

Every show needed pre reservations..even so there were lines for everything,

Dining even in specialty venues was so so and waiters kept trying to sell stuff..not very classy. Shopping was not very upscale...

Saving grace was the adults only area aft,, but it was crowded,  the Diamond lounge was nice for lite breakfast and the nighly  cocktail buffet was awesome. Food there was better than the mdr. Music groups on board were excellent.

But the positives did not outweigh the many negs for us,.seems more suited to family cruising rather than  the upscale experience on X,,

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

PS.. the deli touted as a must do for lunch was overcrowded and smelled like " wet dog"..,the sandwich was not that special!

We just loved the deli in Central Park had a great roast beef sandwich there as good as any New York deli and I totally love New York delis , it was as good as our lunches in suite restaurants and specialty restaurants. 

36 minutes ago, George C said:

I love rccl Central Park , live music and almost zero chance of being mugged , loads of different bars and restaurants and I am in my 70’s 

The reason there was no chance of being mugged is because there were 500 people in front of you and 500 people behind you no matter where you were in ‘Central Park’. I’d rather take a chance of being mugged than walking in lock-step through that ‘park’. 

I Am glad you enjoyed it. I cruise so I can enjoy Being At Sea and being on a ship that gives me a chance to enjoy Being At Sea, not being in remakes of some city.

I  don’t need so many distractions to keep me happy and especially on a cruise ship. And my kids didn’t need constant distractions and ‘stuff’; they were able to entertain themselves in regular pools, with friends and playing games together. 

Now that all sounds judgmental of those that enjoy what those type ships provide. Nope. I don’t see it as some negative flaw of those that enjoy and need that. It’s just what each of us look for.

I have a few friends who make sure I know what they think of ‘those people’ who go cruising instead of spending time in one place to really enjoy that place. I think we’ve all heard their negative views. 

Life and how we enjoy life.

den

Den

• Like 4

1 hour ago, George C said:

I also liked the Central Park concept with food, drinks and shopping.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Have you actually sailed in one?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

It was crowded everywhere, the computer rm was tiny and in the library many super seniors were snoring and drooling the afternoon away! Similar group in the upstairs lounge  by day.....no quiet places to read!

Ouch Hcat, not very kind to us “seniors” which I know you are one.😉

Hope all is well with you and Sal.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Cruised Celebrity Constellation in January for an abc cruise

there was one toddler girl who i followed with my eyes throughout the cruise

Noticed not a single other child 

it changes the energy of the ship when no kids around

At 60 and with no grandkids yet as my kids only 21 and 28, i really miss the energy, joy of children 

covid made it so i didnt even experience little kids in public

started babysitting an adoreable 2 year old just to get my kid fix

he gets so many presents from me the money is probably net zero

bought him brio/ Thomas wooden train and tracks 

my kids laugh a little nervously as they see me shopping on eBay for yet another train engine or accessory and ask if they are being replaced

Ideal for me would be some kids but not majority kids and with an adult only space

Disney closest to this 

many kids but also many kid activities to corral them so i can admire from a distance

8 hours ago, hcat said:

Just curious where you might decide to snore and drool your afternoons away when you reach that age? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sippican said:

Just curious where you might decide to snore and drool your afternoons away when you reach that age? 

I’ll do it on my front porch while I sit there yelling: “got off my grass you rotten teens!”. And the adults walking their dogs will just stare and ignore me since they will be in the middle of the road.  

Oh well. 

fen

• Haha 1

Why are you seeing so many older folks onboard RCI?  As a senior myself (but loyal to Celebrity) I think there are several reasons.  One is that even if you don't see them together all the time they may be traveling with their families.  But I think the other two reasons are more likely.  The first is that Royal is the one who is always advertising on TV (at least in my area).  Many people don't bother to do research they just see something and go for it.  They don't research other cruise lines to determine the best option for them.  They're retired, they want to try cruising, so they go with what has been presented to them the most.  The second is that they are (as a friend of mine would say) "Loyal to Royal".  They started sailing Royal years and years ago and never tried another cruise line so they don't know any better, and don't want to know any better.  They are comfortable because they know the product so they know how to handle life onboard a Royal ship.  Frankly, that's how I feel about Celebrity and why I am reluctant to go back to trying other lines like Holland, which many say is very similar.  Obviously these answers don't apply to everyone as people are all different regardless of age.  But I think these reasons are the most likely.

• Like 2

After many years cruising RCCL (464 nights) and watching this line change their focus over the years, we finally gave up and cruise others.  Coney Island of the Seas is just not for us.

• Haha 2