Do you get a better deal in WiFi plan when on ship or buying it in advance?

dchan865

Got a Alaska cruise coming up on Discovery. I see that the Medallion Net plan shows $70 for 7 day cruise for 1 device. And multiple devices would cost $140.

Just wondering if I should get it before the cruise or hold out for a better/promotional prices when onboard. What do you guys think?

I don't think I've seen it go on promo onboard before... But another consideration: If you're from the US, your cell phone will work fine in all the ports, of which a 7 dayer has... 3 port days? 

The multi-device option is pretty much a waste of money unless you need multiple devices concurrently; if you want to switch between a phone and a laptop or something, you can do so freely. The previous connection just drops off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dchan865 said:

Got a Alaska cruise coming up on Discovery. I see that the Medallion Net plan shows $70 for 7 day cruise for 1 device. And multiple devices would cost $140.

Just wondering if I should get it before the cruise or hold out for a better/promotional prices when onboard. What do you guys think?

I don't think you ever get a better price on the ship than if you purchase in advance, and I think the price actually goes up after the first day. So, unless you have OBC that you don't know how to spend, it's probably better to just go ahead and get it before the cruise.

2 hours ago, dchan865 said:

1 hour ago, Cuedon said:

The multi-device option is pretty much a waste of money unless you need multiple devices concurrently; if you want to switch between a phone and a laptop or something, you can do so freely. The previous connection just drops off. 

@sunviking90 has the correct pricing for single device.  I just wanted to add that the multi-device (actually up to 4 max) plan is not simply a waste of money.  Suppose each of the couple in a cabin wants connectivity.  Rather than buy to single-device plans, buy one 4-device plan for the same cost and share.  Not only can you each be connected with smartphone, for example, but you can also use a PC or tablet without disconnecting the phone.  I agree that a single person wouldn't normally need to pay for the 4-device plan.

4-device plan is $20 in advance and $25 on board.  Again, 50% off if qualify.

1 hour ago, minnesotasisu said:

so you don't have the Princess Plus package which includes Wi-Fi?

At times, though not the norm, there are fares where it is more economical to buy the components of PP individually. And OBC can offset that cost, as well.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 3:57 PM, sunviking90 said:

$10 per day ahead of time for 1 device, and $15 per day if purchased on board. Plat and Elite get 50% off of either.

There was no price difference last month on the Emerald. Why can’t things just be the same for the fleet? I prepaid as I had read something like your post. There was absolutely no need to do it. I could have waited and used my OBC. 

Edited by Happiest when cruising

1 hour ago, Happiest when cruising said:

There was no price difference last month on the Emerald. Why can’t things just be the same for the fleet? I prepaid as I had read something like your post. There was absolutely no need to do it. I could have waited and used my OBC. 

When did you check the on-board price?  Princess was supposed to be operating with the policy of offering the pre-cruise price on Day 1 (due to difficulties in pre-booking and that the discount was not being offered and had to get it back as OBC).  I have no inside info on this part, but I would expect sometime they might drop that policy since Internet is easily booked in MC App now and also the discount is applied at point-of-purchase, if eligible. 

If you were quoted the pre-cruise price after Day 1, I'd say it was a fluke or a mistake. 

I also wouldn't count on getting the pre-cruise price on Day 1 forever and I wouldn't expect them to publicly announce it either since they didn't make any sort of a splash about the Day 1 pricing in the first place.

I think one of my 14-day voyages allowed it on the day after embarkation (can never remember if that's classified as D1 or D2...), so maybe it's a thing for longer trips?

In other news, do they still allow any kind of finite onboard purchase, whether limited by data, minute, or day? I'm feeling a bit too cheap to pay for onboard internet on entire voyages when I only need it for about half an hour a week... though I guess I can just stop at random places when in port too.

1 minute ago, Cuedon said:

I think one of my 14-day voyages allowed it on the day after embarkation (can never remember if that's classified as D1 or D2...), so maybe it's a thing for longer trips?

In other news, do they still allow any kind of finite onboard purchase, whether limited by data, minute, or day? I'm feeling a bit too cheap to pay for onboard internet on entire voyages when I only need it for about half an hour a week... though I guess I can just stop at random places when in port too.

Yes, you can buy individual days at $20/day.  So if you need it less than half the days of the trip, you can save over paying $10/day.  If eligible, you get 50% discount off that rate.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

When did you check the on-board price?  Princess was supposed to be operating with the policy of offering the pre-cruise price on Day 1 (due to difficulties in pre-booking and that the discount was not being offered and had to get it back as OBC).  I have no inside info on this part, but I would expect sometime they might drop that policy since Internet is easily booked in MC App now and also the discount is applied at point-of-purchase, if eligible. 

If you were quoted the pre-cruise price after Day 1, I'd say it was a fluke or a mistake. 

I also wouldn't count on getting the pre-cruise price on Day 1 forever and I wouldn't expect them to publicly announce it either since they didn't make any sort of a splash about the Day 1 pricing in the first place.

As soon as you board, it shows you the same price. While we were onboard, every day that went by when I signed in, the purchase price was prorated and reflected for how many days were left, I could change it to four devices, too. So, I do believe if I had not pre purchased it, and wanted to buy it later in the cruise. I could have. For me, there was no difference. I have also read others had the sa,e experience as me. I’m just glad they fixed it that I could get the discount when I paid, rather  than a refund. I live in Canada, so I like to watch the exchange rates and gamble if it is better to use my OBC, or pay for stuff beforehand in Canadian dollars. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

As soon as you board, it shows you the same price. While we were onboard, every day that went by when I signed in, the purchase price was prorated and reflected for how many days were left, I could change it to four devices, too. So, I do believe if I had not pre purchased it, and wanted to buy it later in the cruise. I could have. For me, there was no difference. I have also read others had the same experience as me. I’m just glad they fixed it that I could get the discount when I paid, rather  than a refund. I live in Canada, so I like to watch the exchange rates and gamble if it is better to use my OBC, or pay for stuff beforehand in Canadian dollars. 

And it's funny-odd in the sense that some guests used to report on the earlier voyages (like last year especially), that they were not offered the pre-cruise price on-board and this was wrong (but probably a training/communication issue at the time).   OTOH, your report may not be the best guidance since you had pre-purchased.  I have not been on a ship since the "Return to Sea", so not sure if you were looking at someone else's device who did not pre-purchase??  I always book in USD so don't bother with exchange rate business (we use a discount US agency to book cruises).  

3 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Looks like it’s not consistent across the line. I waited to buy until there were only 4 days left and it was prorated as $7.50 per day ($15 less the plat discount). I purchased through the medallion website. 

18 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Looks like it’s not consistent across the line. I waited to buy until there were only 4 days left and it was prorated as $7.50 per day ($15 less the plat discount). I purchased through the medallion website. 

That is the correct on-board price.  I guess you don't have to pay the $20 daily rate as long as booking multiple days in a row as you did.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

And it's funny-odd in the sense that some guests used to report on the earlier voyages (like last year especially), that they were not offered the pre-cruise price on-board and this was wrong (but probably a training/communication issue at the time).   OTOH, your report may not be the best guidance since you had pre-purchased.  I have not been on a ship since the "Return to Sea", so not sure if you were looking at someone else's device who did not pre-purchase??  I always book in USD so don't bother with exchange rate business (we use a discount US agency to book cruises).  

No, I did not look at anyone else’s device. I guess I could have looked at my husbands phone, to see what would happen, as we did not purchase it for him, as his phone stays in the safe the whole cruise. 

I think what you are saying is because I prepaid  it, I was showing the discounted price. That could be. I did not need to go to the Internet cafe for any reason, and I actually don’t even know where someone would go once they are onboard to purchase it, or see the pricing. I would assume it is  on the Medallian app, same way I purchased it. 
 I also specifically asked on another social media for answers to this question, before I purchased it and I was given the same answer. Same price, either way. I did purchase it for the whole voyage, not day by day. 
I’m not sure why if I wanted to upgrade to a 4 device while onboard, was still showing the 50 percent off price.  

15 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I’m not sure why if I wanted to upgrade to a 4 device while onboard, was still showing the 50 percent off price.

We get 50% off all internet plans/pricing if qualify. 

Whatever some social media told you may or may not be reliable.  All I can tell you is the official pricing is $15 higher on board than pre-cruise and they were supposed to be honoring the pre-cruise price on embarkation day.