Balcony Chairs

I have an Ovation of the Seas Alaska cruise coming up in August and I am planning on spending a lot of time sitting on my balcony. The chairs on the balcony don't look terribly uncomfortable but I tend not to like to spend a lot of time in a chair without much padding.  So should I just plan on getting a pillow or two to put out there or would I be better off bringing a memory foam pad? Thanks.

balcony chair.webp

• Like 1

You won't likely be sitting in that chair for long periods of time.  You'll find that when seated, the balcony railing will be right at eye level.  When seeing something interesting (glaciers, sea creatures, approaching ports) you'll most likely be standing at the railing.  I'd agree with the PP that just asking for extra pillows, and perhaps a blanket, from the room steward would be the easiest.  Oh, and be sure to pack a pair of binoculars.  

• Like 4

Just to add, the chairs are actually rather comfortable and also recline.  In our case, extra padding would not be necessary or desirable to pack. But that is a personal choice.  Agree that you will likely be standing at the railing more than sitting in them anyway. A blanket or additional pillows through the stateroom attendant as mentioned by @jalves would be a good solution if you find it necessary.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I thought just the chase lounges reclined.  Are you saying the chair in the picture reclines?

Look at the hooks in the back of the chair in that photo.   Yes, they recline...but only just so far.  Not flat like a lounger.  

12 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I thought just the chase lounges reclined.  Are you saying the chair in the picture reclines?

Yes. But perhaps "recline" is the wrong choice of words - more like a couple back rest positions to choose from. You can see the notched bar with the different positions in the picture, which is as was on Ovation and Anthem. 

Sorry @island ladyfor the similar response.  Was still typing as you posted. 🙂

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

I have an Ovation of the Seas Alaska cruise coming up in August and I am planning on spending a lot of time sitting on my balcony. The chairs on the balcony don't look terribly uncomfortable but I tend not to like to spend a lot of time in a chair without much padding.  So should I just plan on getting a pillow or two to put out there or would I be better off bringing a memory foam pad? Thanks.

balcony chair.webp

I actually find those to be some of the most comfortable to sit in, and especially like being able to use the foot stool.   And yes, I have brought a pillow out there sometimes, but mostly to be able to see over the annoying eye level railing when you are seating that low.  😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yes. But perhaps "recline" is the wrong choice of words - more like a couple back rest positions to choose from. You can see the notched bar with the different positions in the picture, which is as was on Ovation and Anthem. 

Sorry @island ladyfor the similar response.  Was still typing as you posted. 🙂

No apology needed.  😉   Like minds thinking alike.  🙂