Rotterdam Covid Situation

flowery

38 minutes ago, flowery said:

…If you want to eat and drink on a cruise ship but wear a mask at all other times it might help a little….

I like to use my toothpaste analogy. Toothpaste tubes do not state that using their brand of toothpaste prevents cavities. It  says it “helps” prevent cavities.

Likewise, doctors do not say wearing a mask prevents the spread of Covid. They say it helps prevent the spread of it.

DW & I are willing to do our small part even if it helps only a little.

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

I like your attitude ShipWalker!

It might help a little. We were incredibly careful for several years- never dining indoors at restaurants etc. Now the realization that Covid is going to be with us a long time is starting to sink in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShipWalker said:

I like to use my toothpaste analogy. Toothpaste tubes do not state that using their brand of toothpaste prevents cavities. It  says it “helps” prevent cavities.

Likewise, doctors do not say wearing a mask prevents the spread of Covid. They say it helps prevent the spread of it.

DW & I are willing to do our small part even if it helps only a little.

BEFORE CRUISING
Prior to Travel
All guests ages two and above will require a medically 
observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) 
result taken within 3-days of embarkation (for Greece, testing 
is required within 1-day of embarkation). Children under 2 
years of age do not need to be tested prior to cruising.
Guests under 5 years of age do not need to be vaccinated. 
Children between the ages of 5-11 who are not vaccinated 
may request an exemption at the time of booking and if 
approved may be subject to additional testing and protocols.
Proof of full vaccination, including booster if eligible. For 
these cruises the definition of “fully vaccinated” is at least 
14 days and no more than 270 days (9 months) since the last 
dose in the primary vaccine series of an approved COVID-19 
vaccine. Only one booster dose is required for guests 
whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 
vaccine is older than 270 days (9 months) to be considered 
“fully vaccinated.” Guests who are eligible for, but have not 
received a booster may request an exemption at the time of 
booking and if approved may be subject to additional testing, 
fees and protocols. Exemptions will be limited and are not 
guaranteed.

EU-Cruise-Protocols-0425.pdf

On 5/5/2022 at 7:32 PM, VMax1700 said:

No they don't need that information. 

Just as easy to pick up the virus on the flight over, on a transit system, in a pre cruise hotel or restaurant etc.  Do you expect these places to issue numbers too.

The 'numbers' in May will have no relevance to the numbers in July and vice versa.

You are obviously not comfortable with the situation, so don't travel.

You are absolutely right. 

• Like 2

I find it super odd that some people don't want to know the current daily positive cases which are being reported on some cruise lines.

I think I can better gauge our risk if I had an idea of how many are in quarantine- I would assume at least double since more are likely to be asymptomatic.

We love cruising as does everyone on this board, however, we have options. Maybe some of you feel locked in and have made final payment?

I'm hoping some people will post about their experiences relative to Covid onboard the Rotterdam. 

I think it's funny that some denounce my inquiry. What's so upsetting about it? I'm not afraid of information- are you??

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, flowery said:

I find it super odd that some people don't want to know the current daily positive cases which are being reported on some cruise lines.

I think I can better gauge our risk if I had an idea of how many are in quarantine- I would assume at least double since more are likely to be asymptomatic.

We love cruising as does everyone on this board, however, we have options. Maybe some of you feel locked in and have made final payment?

I'm hoping some people will post about their experiences relative to Covid onboard the Rotterdam. 

I think it's funny that some denounce my inquiry. What's so upsetting about it? I'm not afraid of information- are you??

Sure, I wouldn’t mind numbers but it’s really none of my business unless they want to supply this information.  I can’t begin to tell you how much angst I had about going on cruises in November and March of this year.  It’s hasn’t been easy for Canadians to travel because of testing and insurance.  I was so sure I wouldn’t do my cruise in March because things were so dicey at that time.  I followed my gut and everything turned out but it wasn’t without anxiety.  At no time did I feel I needed to know the covid numbers on the ship.  I had to do what my gut told me.

• Like 3

If HAL wishes to release the numbers, that is their choice, and their choice alone. It doesn't appear there is any requirement to report, except perhaps to the CDC. Just because OP thinks HAL should disclose numbers is no reason to start insinuating negative causes or reasons. 

• Like 3

From my reading, Carnival Corp voluntarily opted into the CDC reporting program while in US waters. All HAL ships are currently "orange" according to the CDC website. Orange indicates significant transmission and positive cases.

Some captains on other cruise lines (including a Carnival/Princess ship?) proudly proclaimed at the onset of a recent sailing that they were "green" but then it abruptly switched and no more announcements were forthcoming. Passengers reported many entering quarantine. Obviously, the cruise lines prefer to make announcements only when their numbers are good.

I did take a look at the NYT excellent Covid section and couldn't find exact numbers for the Netherlands but their color on the color coded map looks favorable. Unfortunately, some of their neighbors e.g. Germany aren't doing well at the moment. Of course all that can change in a few months. Europe may be over it soon and the US will start surging according to prediction models.

21 hours ago, flowery said:

I don't think people are "denouncing your inquiry" and I don't think that people are afraid of information.  It's a real stretch to think that you would be privy to some confidential information that the cruise lines have.  If you are assuming that more than double daily positive cases exist than are being reported, it sounds as though you may be upset at that idea.  Might want to hold off cruising until you are in a better frame of mind concerning covid.  It's out there; it's possible you could become sick on a cruise.  These are risks we all take these days.  Good luck in making your decision about cruising.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, flowery said:

From my reading, Carnival Corp voluntarily opted into the CDC reporting program while in US waters. All HAL ships are currently "orange" according to the CDC website. Orange indicates significant transmission and positive cases.

Some captains on other cruise lines (including a Carnival/Princess ship?) proudly proclaimed at the onset of a recent sailing that they were "green" but then it abruptly switched and no more announcements were forthcoming. Passengers reported many entering quarantine. Obviously, the cruise lines prefer to make announcements only when their numbers are good.

I did take a look at the NYT excellent Covid section and couldn't find exact numbers for the Netherlands but their color on the color coded map looks favorable. Unfortunately, some of their neighbors e.g. Germany aren't doing well at the moment. Of course all that can change in a few months. Europe may be over it soon and the US will start surging according to prediction models.

This is the present trend graph for the Netherlands. Very low as of now! The keyword is now. 2 months from now could be an entirely different story. There have been recent stories in the newspaper and on the news of a Princess cruise ship and a Carnival cruise ship that were reported to have numerous cases. There were no numbers released. What is their definition of numerous? Who knows. 

image.png.8b84fd6416acce4e08057378a72add8c.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks Laminator for the graph.

Thanks also to others for their helpful suggestions that we might be too worried and therefore should not be cruising. LOL.

In addition to numbers, I've been hoping to get info on current quarantine conditions and protocols.

Maybe the 7 day segments are short enough that not as many are testing positive.

Did anyone test positive on Saturday and have trouble flying back to the US?

There's an interesting thread on the Celebrity board re: the Edge April 22 roll call. Apparently Celebrity abruptly refused to test passengers for their flights home and some were in tears after testing positive at the Rome airport and not being allowed to fly back home as scheduled. Italy is also quite strict and you're required to quarantine in a designated hotel or go to an AirBnB (?)

UK has no testing requirements and no quarantine mandates- possibly some suggestions.

What about the Netherlands?

One person on Celebrity had an interesting idea about using Canada or Mexico Air - no testing requirement. However, unless you live close to those borders, you'd have to fly home and domestic airlines all ask if you've been recently exposed etc.

I'll be curious to hear how the current 14 day Rotterdam sailing pans out and if anyone has trouble testing positive at the end.

2 hours ago, flowery said:

T

I'll be curious to hear how the current 14 day Rotterdam sailing pans out and if anyone has trouble testing positive at the end.

We were 7 and we all didnot test positive. The Dutch Government advises to do a home test upon return. We did not hear about anybody on board who did. Far far far less people were coughing as in pre covid times. And thank you for your interst in our health. And please take care of yours. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 4:25 PM, Laminator said:

No cruise corporation are releasing their numbers. And honestly their numbers would be skewed anyway. 

Just off the Celebrity Edge Transatlantic 4 days ago. Captain Costas included Covid case numbers in his daily 10:00am announcement. "In the interest of transparency" were his words. The numbers were defined as passengers who had become symptomatic and presented themselves to the medical center. There were zero newly reported cases until about day 6. By day 13 the count was 23 passengers and 6 crew. The sailing's population was 1100 passengers and 900 crew. 

While I appreciated the transparency, the daily stats didn't have any real effect, personally. It's not like I was going to jump overboard if the count became too high for my comfort. 

At this moment, I'm personally comfortable to cruise. Especially so given the 14-day voyage I've just completed. If you are uncomfortable with current testing, quarantines, and the protocols that come with it, simply wait until they go away before you resume cruising. JMO.

• Like 3

Flowery, 

We were on the Rotterdam from April 17 to May8, disembarked in Amsterdam.  The first part of the trip began  in Fort Lauderdale.  There were approximately 1600 to 1700 passengers.  There were very few people wearing masks as it was recommended not mandatory, except for elevators, theatre, and other areas where it was not possible to distance.  However, the majority of people did not adhere to this and it was not  enforced by the crew.  The only area we saw enforcement was on the gangway embarking and disembarking the ship. I can’t say whether people adhered to wearing a mask on transportation during tours because we did not take any.   On May 1, we stopped in Amsterdam more people got on then off and the approximate number of passengers went up to 2200.   Very few passengers were wearing masks during this leg of the trip.  On May 7, those passengers flying back to the US were given a COVID test.   If you passed you received a certificate which had to be handed in to the airline.  We passed and  were able to fly home.  We were two of the very few people who wore our masks continuously during our trip.  We met a woman on Sunday who was traveling home alone as her husband and two traveling companions did not pass the COVID test and had to remain in Amsterdam curtesy of HAL.  While we were aware there were COVID cases on board, we were never informed as to how many.  However, I have to believe the majority of people stayed very healthy and enjoyed their vacation.    

Every morning during the captain’s announcement he would thank everyone for adherence to the mask policy.  We considered that the joke of the day.  Despite the continual mask wearing, moving quickly away from the few people who coughed or sneezed,  we did enjoy our trip.  We never felt out of place wearing our mask and no one ever made a comment about it.  We met some wonderful people onboard.  We were happy with our decision not to cancel.  You can only make your decision on your own comfort level.   If you go, I hope you enjoy your trip.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, thepoint said:

Flowery, 

We were on the Rotterdam from April 17 to May8, disembarked in Amsterdam.  The first part of the trip began  in Fort Lauderdale.  There were approximately 1600 to 1700 passengers.  There were very few people wearing masks as it was recommended not mandatory, except for elevators, theatre, and other areas where it was not possible to distance.  However, the majority of people did not adhere to this and it was not  enforced by the crew.  The only area we saw enforcement was on the gangway embarking and disembarking the ship. I can’t say whether people adhered to wearing a mask on transportation during tours because we did not take any.   On May 1, we stopped in Amsterdam more people got on then off and the approximate number of passengers went up to 2200.   Very few passengers were wearing masks during this leg of the trip.  On May 7, those passengers flying back to the US were given a COVID test.   If you passed you received a certificate which had to be handed in to the airline.  We passed and  were able to fly home.  We were two of the very few people who wore our masks continuously during our trip.  We met a woman on Sunday who was traveling home alone as her husband and two traveling companions did not pass the COVID test and had to remain in Amsterdam curtesy of HAL.  While we were aware there were COVID cases on board, we were never informed as to how many.  However, I have to believe the majority of people stayed very healthy and enjoyed their vacation.    

Every morning during the captain’s announcement he would thank everyone for adherence to the mask policy.  We considered that the joke of the day.  Despite the continual mask wearing, moving quickly away from the few people who coughed or sneezed,  we did enjoy our trip.  We never felt out of place wearing our mask and no one ever made a comment about it.  We met some wonderful people onboard.  We were happy with our decision not to cancel.  You can only make your decision on your own comfort level.   If you go, I hope you enjoy your trip.  

Have a question for you, did they test passengers that were continuing on to the 7 day sailing out of Amsterdam?

LAFFNVEGAS,

Our testing experience:

On May 1, when we stopped in Amsterdam, we had to get off the ship and go through immigrations, but we were not tested.  After immigrations we were allowed right back on the ship with no testing.  They were however, testing the new passengers  getting on in Amsterdam.  That was in the cruise terminal.  I do know that the day before Amsterdam, they tested some friends who were getting off in Amsterdam and onto a river cruise.  That was very helpful for them.

On May 8th, when we were getting off the ship in Amsterdam, to my knowledge the only people tested on May 7th, were the individuals like us, who were flying back to the states on HAL sponsored flights.  HAL did the testing on the ship.   I don’t believe those staying on the ship for the continuation to the Baltic were tested.  We knew several people continuing on to the Baltic and they never mentioned the need to be tested.    However, I don’t know about new passengers boarding in Amsterdam for the Baltic cruise.  My guess is those passengers probably were tested in the terminal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:36 AM, CruiserBruce said:

That is where they are on Koningsdam, and have been reported on the other ships as well.

On our recent (April) Zuiderdam sailing, they were on decks 4 and 6 starboard side.

I would be very skeptical about cruise line representations that they will test you for your flight back to the US if you are scheduled to fly home the day you disembark. We recently got off a Celebrity transatlantic where they had made the same representations. Unfortunately, the day before arrival in Barcelona they sent out letters saying that they would NOT test anyone onboard before departure and simply offered to sell you an online proctored test kit. Even that offer was conditional. The condition being that they would only give you the test kit AFTER you had checked off the ship. They actually set up a little folding table on the pier side of the gangway where they handed you the test kit. I assume they did this so that you could not test positive until your feet touched Spain at which point you were no longer their problem.

In speaking with our TA after we got home it sounds like other lines, including HAL, are doing the same thing regardless of their previous representations.We were lucky to be staying in Barcelona for a few days before flying home so we could arrange for the test on our schedule. The passengers who were flying home the day we arrived in Barcelona were really scrambling to find a workable alternative to what had been promised. Short story is don't believe what they tell you and be prepared to find an alternative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thepoint said:

On May 8th, when we were getting off the ship in Amsterdam, to my knowledge the only people tested on May 7th, were the individuals like us, who were flying back to the states on HAL sponsored flights.  HAL did the testing on the ship.   I don’t believe those staying on the ship for the continuation to the Baltic were tested.  We knew several people continuing on to the Baltic and they never mentioned the need to be tested.    However, I don’t know about new passengers boarding in Amsterdam for the Baltic cruise.  My guess is those passengers probably were tested in the terminal. 

Passengers embarking in Amsterdam have to be fully vaccinated and also need to present an Antigeen test done within 72 hours before departure. 

Beav- I'm impressed with Capt Costas on Celeb Edge making daily announcements- that's what I expect from a good cruise line and a competent captain. Thanks also for the statistics.

But I am leery now of Celebrity after reading of the possibility of being sent to an Ocean View quarantine room and quarantine locations being left to the discretion of the captains.

ThePoint- thanks for the info on mask wearing aboard the Rotterdam- I'm not surprised. Everyone is in denial about the transmissibility of the current variant and apparently so tired of mask wearing...In our area, Covid has been spreading like wildfire for the past week or two..

I'm not sure if we will wear masks or not- dining and drinking on a cruise ship is a risky activity and we don't plan to eat in our cabin. 

I think you mentioned in your post that testing was provided if you'd booked air through HAL. We booked our own air- I hope that's not an issue. We declined the $500 credit toward air as part of the Have It All deal.

Off topic but I see you sailed Celebrity recently- how did HAL's dining compare to Luminae and Celebrity MDR? Will you sail HAL again?

Fred321- Excellent point- I agree it's entirely possible that HAL will also stop offering Covid tests for flights to US.

Lots of great info! Thanks to everyone for posting. Look forward to hearing more as the situation evolves.

We aren't wearing masks now in our hometown. It seems inevitable we will get the new variant at some point- getting it now rather than while in Europe sounds preferable and we were lucky to have relatively mild reactions to Omicron in Dec/Jan.

• Like 1