Does Uber run in Kent?

Eli_6

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I am having trouble finding this information via google.  I had read somewhere that at some point Uber wasn't allowed in the shire/county of Kent. I am looking to take a car or uber from the airport to Hever to Leeds (I think in Maidstone) to the Port of Dover. Already have it arranged from the airport to Hever, but not having as much luck finding info beyond that. I looked at renting a car, but they charge atrocious rates for "one way return."

59 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I am having trouble finding this information via google.  I had read somewhere that at some point Uber wasn't allowed in the shire/county of Kent. I am looking to take a car or uber from the airport to Hever to Leeds (I think in Maidstone) to the Port of Dover. Already have it arranged from the airport to Hever, but not having as much luck finding info beyond that. I looked at renting a car, but they charge atrocious rates for "one way return."

Uber operate in Gatwick, Dover and Leeds so should not be a problem.
Mostly Uber are licenced by City and it means either the start or end must operate Uber. A lot of Kent falls under the London licence and it was stopped a few years ago when the London Licence was suspended but not now.

Are you sure about Leeds? I ask as Leeds is in Northern England not near Maidstone & I understood from your last post about suit cases you would travel Gatwick to Heaver and then onto Dover.

I am a bit confused about your route but Heaver to Dover is doable:

image.thumb.png.718526b7c75229757ad203151cc64fc7.png

If you are now going to Leeds that is also possible but very expensive due to the distance, a flight into Leeds/Bradford airport would be better value.

image.thumb.png.858290ebbe5c736328b1243e6666e05a.png

Use this link to get an estimate: https://www.uber.com/global/en/price-estimate/

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

It's a pound to a penny that Eli means Leeds Castle, not the city of Leeds 😉

Yes, Leeds Castle is a few miles from Maidstone.

Which airport & what time is your flight scheduled to land?

And can I presume that your ship leaves next day?

I ask because this would be a pretty full jet-lagged day after a red-eye flight

I know little about Uber - on the rare occasions that I've used it (& only for local 10 minute drives) I've phoned when I need a ride, and the times & prices are fluid according to demand & supply. 

For a longer drive such as you plan we'd pre-book with a private transfer operator, and quote number of pax, amount of luggage, and how long waiting at Hever and Leeds castles.

To my fellow-Brits who use Uber - Is this something that Uber do??????????

JB 🙂

• Like 1

Yes, sorry.  I apologize. I meant Leeds Castle near Maidstone.  We are going up to The Open and then to Hever and then were planning on going straight to Dover for two nights.  My friend suggested Leeds Castle as a stopover so I am going to look at doing a night at Hever Castle, a night at Leeds Castle in Maidstone, and then a night in Dover.  My husband needs to do some work one day (and will need us out of the room) and it seemed like Leeds Castle has a lot for the kids. It also has a "family room" that was available which works well for us.  We did, however, decide to just fly from London to Edinburgh rather than try to take the train.  I just found out yesterday that my original flight (from Houston to London) was canceled and now we have to take one several hours later so basically we are losing half a day (in trying to get to The Open) because of the later flight so pretty much have to fly now. 

Edited by Eli_6

My husband and I have rented a car and driven around England before, but it seems like just taking an Uber or a town car would be less stressful. Plus, the one-way car rental prices are absurd.  We could rent a car before our cruise, leave it parked for our entire 9 day cruise, and then return it to Heathrow for the same price as renting a car for three days and having it returned from Dover.

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

It's a pound to a penny that Eli means Leeds Castle, not the city of Leeds 😉

Yes, Leeds Castle is a few miles from Maidstone.

Which airport & what time is your flight scheduled to land?

And can I presume that your ship leaves next day?

I ask because this would be a pretty full jet-lagged day after a red-eye flight

I know little about Uber - on the rare occasions that I've used it (& only for local 10 minute drives) I've phoned when I need a ride, and the times & prices are fluid according to demand & supply. 

For a longer drive such as you plan we'd pre-book with a private transfer operator, and quote number of pax, amount of luggage, and how long waiting at Hever and Leeds castles.

To my fellow-Brits who use Uber - Is this something that Uber do??????????

JB 🙂

Our plan as of right now is to spend a night at Hever, a night at Leeds Castle in Maidstone, and then a night in Dover.   I was initially going to do two nights in Dover, but my friend suggested Leeds Castle would be fun for my kids. Additionally, when I got to looking at it, it appears to have been in the possession of Edward I, II and Isabella.  (I am working on my MSC in History at the University of Edinburgh. I am planning to write my thesis on Anthony Bek who was a key advisor to Edward I and Edward II, so it seems like an interesting place to see on the way to Dover.)

At any rate, I have reserved a car from the airport to Hever, but not the other two legs of the trip yet.  I have taken an Uber around London and from my hotel in London to the airport, but not in these further out areas.  I know there is no Lyft in the UK.  When we have traveled in the UK in the past, we have always rented a car (except for when we were in London and a car was a liability due to a lack of parking) so this isn't something I have attempted to do before.  

9 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Our plan as of right now is to spend a night at Hever, a night at Leeds Castle in Maidstone, and then a night in Dover.   I was initially going to do two nights in Dover, but my friend suggested Leeds Castle would be fun for my kids. Additionally, when I got to looking at it, it appears to have been in the possession of Edward I, II and Isabella.  (I am working on my MSC in History at the University of Edinburgh. I am planning to write my thesis on Anthony Bek who was a key advisor to Edward I and Edward II, so it seems like an interesting place to see on the way to Dover.)

At any rate, I have reserved a car from the airport to Hever, but not the other two legs of the trip yet.  I have taken an Uber around London and from my hotel in London to the airport, but not in these further out areas.  I know there is no Lyft in the UK.  When we have traveled in the UK in the past, we have always rented a car (except for when we were in London and a car was a liability due to a lack of parking) so this isn't something I have attempted to do before.  

I have put your revised trip into the price checker I posted earlier and they all come up as a possible trip with prices so you will be fine.
Even Heaver to Leeds Castle comes up as a possible Uber trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

I have put your revised trip into the price checker I posted earlier and they all come up as a possible trip with prices so you will be fine.
Even Heaver to Leeds Castle comes up as a possible Uber trip.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

There is very little at (or close by to) Leeds when the castle grounds are closed - unless you eat at the one restaurant in the grounds you will need transport

It might be better to stay in Maidstone, and visit the castle as a day trip?  (this way you do have options if it is a rainy day!)