Vancouver disembarkation time question

Our HAL Alaskan cruise has 7AM on a Saturday as the disembarkation time in Vancouver.  We have a very late flight out, and plan to tour Vancouver all day.  We need to schedule a Covid test near the port.  What is a reasonable time to expect that we will actually be off the ship, and able to walk 10 minutes to the testing site?  I want to get those tests done and then go on with the days plans.  

The airport testing sites will be closed by the time we actually get to the airport for our 11 pm flight.

It depends on itinerary.  Are you visiting a Canadian port before Vancouver, or is this the first stop in Canada?

we cleared Canadian Border Control in Victoria and we’re walking off the ship in Vancouver by 0830 last week

• Thanks 1

You will be able to start getting off by 7:30. Not sure what your disembarking prior will be. Are you in a Suite, or willing to carry off your bags, which would get you free reign to get off whenever? Otherwise figure around 8am or so.

• Thanks 1

Also check the small print on your specific cruise - it seems like all the cruise lines are offering to arrange a test on disembarkation day for folks flying home same day, some of which are free (or free if you booked the holiday before a specific date). The pierside tests do seem pricey compared to arranging your own if they aren't free for you - I've seen US$99 and up rates, compared to CAD$79 for local in-person testing, but getting it done as you disembark without needing to go anywhere or wait until clinics open might be worth the extra spend for you? There's always the 'bring your own antigen test and have it proctored online' cheap option if you feel internet onboard is reliable enough too...

• Thanks 1

Whoops - too late to edit my reply above, but perusing the rest of the boards revealed the crappy news from Carnival's family of lines about no testing at the pier in Vancouver! If your cruise is impacted by that OP, sorry for the misinformation...

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 1:00 PM, Sarnia 432 said:

It depends on itinerary.  Are you visiting a Canadian port before Vancouver, or is this the first stop in Canada?

we cleared Canadian Border Control in Victoria and we’re walking off the ship in Vancouver by 0830 last week

Last time I did an Alaska cruise, Victoria was our last port and getting off and out in Vancouver was easy. Same itinerary this time, so I'm hoping for the same Border Control situation you had. But what about Covid tests? Did you need one to enter Canada at Victoria?

On 5/7/2022 at 7:14 PM, martincath said:

perusing the rest of the boards revealed the crappy news from Carnival's family of lines about no testing at the pier in Vancouver!

Things change day to day.

On the Koningsdam last week, there  was no testing for me debarking in Vancouver.  However passengers debarking in Seattle were being testing in the morning in the upper main dining room.  I didn't ask for specifics on whether they were going on a flight or was it some rando test.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:40 AM, morgan1611 said:

Our HAL Alaskan cruise has 7AM on a Saturday as the disembarkation time in Vancouver.  We have a very late flight out, and plan to tour Vancouver all day.  We need to schedule a Covid test near the port.  What is a reasonable time to expect that we will actually be off the ship, and able to walk 10 minutes to the testing site?  I want to get those tests done and then go on with the days plans.  

The airport testing sites will be closed by the time we actually get to the airport for our 11 pm flight.

There is a clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver which is soo convenient!! They will send your results via email within like half an hour or so after you get tested. This was once you get off your cruise, you can walk over to the Convention Centre get tested and then go enjoy the rest of your day in Vancouver without having to worry about your Covid-19 test.  Here is the link https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  It's located in the Vancouver Convention Centre, I booked my test online but I heard that they also accept walk-ins. Prices are also pretty decent! Hope it helps!! 🙂

Edited by pattycruisealot21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

There is a clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver which is soo convenient!! They will send your results via email within like half an hour or so after you get tested. This was once you get off your cruise, you can walk over to the Convention Centre get tested and then go enjoy the rest of your day in Vancouver without having to worry about your Covid-19 test.  Here is the link https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  It's located in the Vancouver Convention Centre, I booked my test online but I heard that they also accept walk-ins. Prices are also pretty decent! Hope it helps!! 🙂

Then all we have to worry about is what to do if we DO test positive. I am waiting for someone to post about the experience of being quarantined in Vancouver! And hoping that person is not me in a couple weeks...lol

Edited by Buckeye10640

8 hours ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

Thank you!  I made appointments with them.

If RCI follows along with Holland America and Celebrity, the answer is no.  They are making the tests available when you debark.  These are the self-tests.  In fact, Celebrity was going to give them free for people who booked prior to Nov/2021.  I heard that is going away too!

• Thanks 1