Viking Orion Alaska and the Inside Passage

jasardeax

1 hour ago, jasardeax said:

The last leg of our flight was from LAX to Vancouver via

United. They announced on board that masks were optional to wear, but just before we landed in Vancouver they reminded everyone that a mask must be worn in the terminal. 
We stayed in Vancouver for a couple of nights on our own 

Pre cruise, and got an

Antigen test in Vancouver the day before boarding. 
Loved Vancouver. 
Best wishes for a great cruise!

Hi Jasardeax. In a couple of months, we will be flying from Australia to Vancouver to board the Orion, also doing a private pre-extension in Vancouver. We have been wondering where we will get a test (we will be too early for the pre-flight test to work).  Where did you get your test? Was it difficult to organise? Thank you.

We are getting our tests in June through Fast-Test.CA. They have about 7 locations in and around Vancouver. If you are staying near the cruise port they have a location in the Fairmont Vancouver hotel and Pan Pacific Hotel. Their web site Fast-Test.ca should give you all the detail you need.

1 hour ago, pmfne said:

Hi Jasardeax. In a couple of months, we will be flying from Australia to Vancouver to board the Orion, also doing a private pre-extension in Vancouver. We have been wondering where we will get a test (we will be too early for the pre-flight test to work).  Where did you get your test? Was it difficult to organise? Thank you.

We used

https://covidtravelvancouver.ca

Quick and easy. We went the day before embarkation. 
Had the hard copy and email of the test result in a 1/2 hour

We had shipmates who used the one at the Fairmont Hotel

Thank you jasardeax and sabrefan - it looks easier than I had expected. We are looking forward to our first cruise since Covid - just a few more nerves and steps involved!

Thought I read somewhere that Scenic Yukon by Road and Rail excursion in Skagaway was cancelled, at least for first cruise. Can anyone confirm this or tell me whether it went for 2nd trip?  I have signed up for it (our trip southbound leaves Jun 2) and would like to book something else if this one is a no-go. Just asked on Viking Chat Line and rep said it is not showing cancelled. Not sure I trust the answer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, my family and I are beginning this cruise in Seward August 21, would appreciate any feedback on the shore excursions that you could offer!  We can select our shore excursions on June 15th!  ANy comments on the sea planes would be so appreciated!  Disappointing to hear comments on Manfredi's as we have always enjoyed our meals there!

Any info would be so apppreciated!

apacunurse

14 minutes ago, duquephart said:

The Kenai Park boat trip out of Seward was very good.

Our fave Alaska excursion was out of Skagway.  Helicopter to a dog sled camp on a glacier.  Great views going and coming with a landing on a glacier.  Got to ride the dog sled with turns at the back.  I was the only one to fall off.... Managed to miss the yellow snow though...😎

1 hour ago, apacunurse said:

Hello all, my family and I are beginning this cruise in Seward August 21, would appreciate any feedback on the shore excursions that you could offer!  We can select our shore excursions on June 15th!  ANy comments on the sea planes would be so appreciated!  Disappointing to hear comments on Manfredi's as we have always enjoyed our meals there!

apacunurse

What ports in SE AK are you visiting for the cruise?

I lived on the hillside across Gastineayu Channel from the cruise dock for nearly 35 years. Some suggestions if you have not booked excusrions yet.

If you enjoy mild hiking and beautiful scenery have a taxi take you to Montana Creek. No visitors, they are all at the glacier. Get out of the cab, have the taxi pick you back up where the road ends at Montana Creek (where he dropped you) in whatever time works for you, They took the small bridge out (to prevent jerks from dumping garbage up the creek as dump fees are over the top) and just walk along Montana Creek on the old road for a mile or two or what ever you want. Thousands of salmon, eagles, other critters including bear every now and again, and just beautiful mountain creek. Really Alaska. There may be some locals but you will have most of the place to yourself.

Don't miss Gastineay Hatchery. Lad built a fine facility there. One fo the best. if not the best, attractions in Juneau.

If you have the whole day and like to hike, hire a cab to take you to "the end of the road" to Point Bridget Statte park. It's a three to four mile hike out to the point over a well maintained trail. Some mud but not much elevatin changes. At the the trails end you will be graced with one of the best views in Southeast Alaska looking across Lynn Canal to the Chilkat Range, Berners bay to the right and Admiralty Island to the left. Fishing boats, ferries, whales, solitude and absolute beauty.

The Shrine of St. Terese is a beautiful Catholic Chapel inside a spruce grove island "out the road". No nead to spend a small fortune on whale watching. If there around, which they should be now, you WILL see them jumping and bubble feeding. Save yourself a small fortune and avoid the crowds. We were married there, truly one of the most beautiful spots in Juneau.

If you want to see Eagles, have a taxi take you to the landfill (dump) and pay them $5 to get in empty. Hundreds of them. Not the scenery you would expect, but eagles everywhere.

The Jensen Arboritium is out next to the Shrine if your a gardener. Worth seeing in the Spring (now). Some crowds but worth the visit if you enjoy native plants and gardens. My primula collection now lives there, I  donated after 30 years.

Downtown Juneau IS NOT Alaska, But you can drive back to it in about 45 minutes. Five pot shops, three whiskey distilleries, dozens of Made in China anything you want and when 4 to five boats are in, 6,000 people standing on the sidewalks contimplating the origins of the universe while you are trying to use said sidewalk.

I guess I should be kinder, it could be me in Athens having someone point out I'm contimplating the origins of civilization.

And Oh yeah... the best halibut basket is a small walk in kitchen at the back of the Sand Bar on Industrial Blvd, across from Don Abels hardware. Horrible decor, old tables and chairs, run down building, BUT>>> they use very clean oil, FRESH halibut and there are NO crowds. You'll probably have lunch with a few locals. About $27 for a big basket but it will be about the best seafood you eat in Alaska.No wine, no fancy decor, some local kids doing all the work (but as friendly as you will find. I sent my dentist there last spring, he still raves about it. His wife wasn't to keen on the decor, but she had to admit the halibut was superb!

Enjoy your stay, Alaska is changing, forever, very quickly.

Edited by Vagabond51
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, apacunurse said:

apacunurse

The Misty Fjord seaplane trip was excellent.  Loved it.  We went with SeaWind Aviation (my son is a pilot and he chose this one for me) said the Beaver plane was safe and that Steve the pilot had tons of experience so he felt safest for me to go with that one.  We landed on a lake and saw bears,  flew around mountain tops and saw the mountain goats till some other passengers felt ill. lol.  

5 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

The Misty Fjord seaplane trip was excellent.  Loved it.  We went with SeaWind Aviation (my son is a pilot and he chose this one for me) said the Beaver plane was safe and that Steve the pilot had tons of experience so he felt safest for me to go with that one.  We landed on a lake and saw bears,  flew around mountain tops and saw the mountain goats till some other passengers felt ill. lol.  

Well guess you are not stopping in Ketchikan so that sea plane trip is out.   Sorry as it was one of the highlights of our trip.   Wherever you go you will be inspired by the beautiful scenery.  Alaska is absolutely gorgeous.  

After waiting all day to embark, we woke up this morning still in Vancouver. The captain announced a cable related to one of the tenders snapped. It’s a safety issue, hope to leave tonight. If we don’t leave by 18:00, we have to wait until tomorrow morning!

Third Viking trip.

Presently stuck in N. Vancouver harbor due to the previously mentioned cable malfunction. Being told we may sail on tonight’s high tide or in the morning. First told we would miss Ketchikan so I canceled our reservations there. Now being told we will miss Sitka instead. Will try to rebook flight. Will be very disappointed if our sea day is a night.

This trip has been a fiasco. Booked way before Covid. Communication is poor. Connecting flights booked too close together so when the inevitable delayed occurred connections were missed. Emergency number never answered. Rebooked ourselves. Finally got to hotel for pre-cruise and they have no record of our hotel reservation. Took 1.5 hours to rectify. Sheraton staff unhelpful. Viking help at reception site somewhat helpful. Covid testing seemed disorganized. Boarding was awful. 

As always, shipboard staff and food wonderful. That doesn’t make up for the terrible experiences we’ve had each time before getting on the ship. Three strikes. Never getting on a Viking boat again.