Mardi Gras pool times

Pools do not close when in port. I could never find a Fun Times for previous Mardi Gras sailings that listed the pool opening and closing times, but for other ships in the fleet the pools typically open at 8 AM and close at Midnight, subject to weather conditions. I think John Heald has even shown people using the pool before 8 AM on some of the live videos he's done on Mardi Gras during his morning walks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Martinsen03 said:

Do the pools on the Mardi Gras close at night like other ships? Do the pools close while in port?

I believe there were a few pools that stayed open until 10pm or possibly midnight on the ship. A few closed earlier, but at least two were open late each night when we sailed in March.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Unless changed, I believe that's a CDC Vessel Sanitation Program requirement.

I thought so too, but on our last Horizon trip,  I don't think the water was changed at all 🤢.  I even heard someone that was doing a B2B say it hadn't been changed the week prior.  I don't want to spread false info but it didn't always look very clean!

5 minutes ago, ALSPAUGHDOLL said:

I thought so too, but on our last Horizon trip,  I don't think the water was changed at all 🤢.  I even heard someone that was doing a B2B say it hadn't been changed the week prior.  I don't want to spread false info but it didn't always look very clean!

that sounds crazy. I know when we were on the Horizon 2 weeks ago the water temps were different everyday leading me to believe the water was changed

23 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

that sounds crazy. I know when we were on the Horizon 2 weeks ago the water temps were different everyday leading me to believe the water was changed

I agree, and I seriously hope I am wrong.  But the water temp was the same everyday and we never saw a pool or hot tub drained.  

Public hot tubs are required to be super-chlorinated and drained daily.  The requirement for pools is that they are drained at least weekly.  Typically done at night, when 99% of passengers wouldn't see it being done.  As for appearance, much of that is due to folks not showering before they enter the pool, with the result that their sunblock washes off and creates a film on the water.  This film also blocks the chlorine in the pool from doing its job of sanitizing the water.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Water temperature will also be pretty much whatever the ocean is in that area. If you are sailing during the winter, you may notice more variation the further south you sail. If the water temp is in the high 70s or low 80s at your homeport, it may change very little during your itinerary.

On 5/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, ALSPAUGHDOLL said:

I agree, and I seriously hope I am wrong.  But the water temp was the same everyday and we never saw a pool or hot tub drained.  

They typically do it very late at night. You're probably in bed when they do it.