Arriving Vancouver on Canada Day - Transportation recommendation?

We will be arriving on 1 July via air, heading to the Pan Pacific Hotel at Canada Place.  another poster indicated they are going to Canada place to watch fireworks, which had me worried about transportation to the hotel.

Any locals have advice for getting us & baggage to the hotel? Train vs taxi? 

A few years ago we flew into YVR on Canada Day and were staying at the Fairmont (across form the Pan Pacific) our taxi driver had trouble getting to the hotel and at one point suggested we walk a few blocks with our suitcases, he eventually got us to the hotel. 

11 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

A few years ago we flew into YVR on Canada Day and were staying at the Fairmont (across form the Pan Pacific) our taxi driver had trouble getting to the hotel and at one point suggested we walk a few blocks with our suitcases, he eventually got us to the hotel. 

Taxi and Uber are fixed rate and take you direct to the hotel.  It may be a bit congested just in front.  

The Canada line is cheaper but you have to walk a block or two.  If your comfortable with that.  Trains are less frequent in the evening.

Our  flight arrives at 4pm, and with customs, I'm assuming we won't be out of the airport until 5:30pm. 

1st time in Vancouver.  We can walk the distance, although I can  have issues with uneven ground.  

Until the official announcement about what's on when at Canada Place, it's hard to say definitively how big the crowds will be, whether they'll mostly be at that end or over at the Olympic flame/Jack Poole Plaza (multiple stages get set up, and in the past there was even a parade about noon that shut down several extra streets) - but with an arrival in that sort of timeframe I'd plump for a cab too thanks to fixed price fares (just tip generously if your poor driver does end up stuck in traffic!).

Both roads and SkyTrain will be busier than normal as all the suburbanites start rolling into downtown (dinner first for many, so passenger volumes on all SkyTrain lines do start increasing again inbound about your timeframe). If there are road closures, there will still be at least one way to access Canada Place by vehicle until after the last cruise departure that day - but even if they have completely barricaded off Canada Place the worst case barriers will be @Howe & Cordova, leaving you a very short 1 block walk with bags whereas SkyTrain it's more like 3 blocks, and wheeling luggage through crowds is a real hassle.

On the good news front, if your room has a view of the water look for a big boxy barge just sitting there, very roughly in line with the pier you're on top of - if you can see it then you're guaranteed a good view of the show from your room without any need to fight the crowds!!!

Thanks!  Yes, we have a panoramic harbor view room, hopefully facing the correct direction.  Fingers crossed. 

Also, after much discussion we decided to move our flight MUCH earlier, because we really wanted to visit Stanley Park.  Now getting to the hotel by noon.  Figure we'll drop bags, grab lunch and see some sights, then crash until fireworks/dinner. 

6 hours ago, LCW said:

...Also, after much discussion we decided to move our flight MUCH earlier, because we really wanted to visit Stanley Park.  Now getting to the hotel by noon.  ...

Do check that link I gave above now & again, until they publish the events and schedule - if this year sees the return of the parade, that closes multiple blocks around the pier from 11ish until 1ish, so a noon arrival would actually put you slap bang in the worst possible arrival by cab as you would also be fighting the other cruisers departing that day! Like I said, there's always at least one open road - but prepare for loooooooong delays, the driver to ask if he can drop you a few blocks away, or both :-(

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

As a volunteer at Canada Place on Canada Day I can confirm that that will be no fireworks and no parade this year - just lots of entertainment and good fun.

I thought you might be working that event Dennis -  any extra inside info yet, like street closures/maps? With stages at the pier, plaza and Harbour Green it seems likely to impact at least Canada Place and Cordova on some blocks...

No inside info yet as we haven't had a training session yet. It will likely be like it was in previous years that you will enter and exit Canada Place via Howe Street and the tour buses etc. are likely to be on Hastings.

Dennis

• Thanks 1