Selling HAL e-gift cards

groundloop

We're cruising in just a few short weeks and were just notified that another excursion was cancelled.  Unfortunately that excursion was paid for with an emailed gift card, so that's how the refund will be issued.  The timing is going to be cutting it close, I might not get the new e-gift card until after the cruise and if that happens I'll be out of luck since I don't see another HAL cruise happening in the foreseeable future.

SO.... given that gift cards are non-refundable how does one turn an e-gift card into cash?  It looks like ebay only allows the sale of physical gift cards so I'm not sure yet what I'd do.

Supposedly HAL gift cards don't expire.  But the problem for me is that I just don't see another HAL cruise in my future (and I'm sure not going to book one along with the associated flight and hotel stay just to use up a $300 e-gift card 🤕 ).  I do the vast majority of my cruising on Carnival since they have so many options within driving distance for me.

Hopefully I'll get lucky and receive the refund card before the cruise so I can use it.

Edited by groundloop

6 hours ago, groundloop said:

Hopefully I'll get lucky and receive the refund card before the cruise so I can use it.

Your shore excursion refund will be refunded back to the same digital card and PIN that was used at the time of purchase. You can use the "check card balance" feature to see if it has been refunded. Usually it only takes a few days.

https://wbiprod.storedvalue.com/wbisoa/lookupservlet?language=en&host=hollandamerica.com&XID=HECEZ38

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Can you use it on a future cruise?  I think (not sure) that you have a year to use it.

The cards themselves don’t expire at all but the smaller-value bonus cards connected to HAL’s recent website promo do expire in a about a year.

According to the terms & conditions, unauthorized resale is prohibited and if they catch you, the card will be cancelled.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/legal-privacy/gift-card-terms-and-conditions.html

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, groundloop said:

SO.... given that gift cards are non-refundable how does one turn an e-gift card into cash?  It looks like ebay only allows the sale of physical gift cards so I'm not sure yet what I'd do.

Usually shore excursion refunds come quicker than anything else, so fingers are crossed you’ll get it in a week or two. You may be able to use it for onboard purchases. I’d go to the shops and do some Christmas shopping.

10 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Your shore excursion refund will be refunded back to the same digital card and PIN that was used at the time of purchase. You can use the "check card balance" feature to see if it has been refunded. Usually it only takes a few days.

https://wbiprod.storedvalue.com/wbisoa/lookupservlet?language=en&host=hollandamerica.com&XID=HECEZ38

That's certainly not what happened last month when they cancelled another shore excursion, they issued a new e-gift card which took about 3 weeks for it to arrive via email.

But anyway, so far it's sounding like there's not a good way to sell unused e-gift cards.  

Edited by groundloop

12 hours ago, groundloop said:

But anyway, so far it's sounding like there's not a good way to sell unused e-gift cards.  

There is a website called Raise that buys and sells gift cards.  You may not get your full amount back, but it's better than nothing.  Also, this is all this company dies, so they have some policies in place that keep fraud to a minimum.  I've used the site to buy gift cards at a discount and have had no problems.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Euby said:

There is a website called Raise that buys and sells gift cards.  You may not get your full amount back, but it's better than nothing.  Also, this is all this company dies, so they have some policies in place that keep fraud to a minimum.  I've used the site to buy gift cards at a discount and have had no problems.

Great information, I've bookmarked them.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:08 PM, groundloop said:

We're cruising in just a few short weeks and were just notified that another excursion was cancelled.  Unfortunately that excursion was paid for with an emailed gift card, so that's how the refund will be issued.  The timing is going to be cutting it close, I might not get the new e-gift card until after the cruise and if that happens I'll be out of luck since I don't see another HAL cruise happening in the foreseeable future.

If you have some spare time you might call Reservation Accounting to explain your situation see if they can manually process the refund to the gift card before departure. The direct number for them is 1-888-663-5384. I have had really good luck with them getting things transferred, etc. The only caveat is if you booked with a TA they probably will not talk to you. 

• Thanks 1