Cancellations on QV summer cruises

delondin

It seems that several people are posting on social media that due to staffing issues caused by Covid (short of crew) the QV is reducing capacity for the next few sailings. Therefore some people have had their cruise cancelled. The offer is 100% refund and fcc for 25%. 

4 minutes ago, tony s said:

Will this affect the 7/24/22 cruise?

The ones I’ve read about so far are 5 June, 3 July and I think the 19th. They are also bumping people off the QE 

Edited by delondin

2 minutes ago, delondin said:

The ones I’ve read about so far are 5 June, 3 July and I think the 19th. They are also bumping people off the QE 

What is the criteria for getting bumped?

3 hours ago, delondin said:

It seems that several people are posting on social media that due to staffing issues caused by Covid (short of crew) the QV is reducing capacity for the next few sailings. Therefore some people have had their cruise cancelled. The offer is 100% refund and fcc for 25%. 

how many customers are you talking about? In what grade were they booked on? When did they get notified ?

I couldn’t find any reports on various pages online.

This has to be the reason why the availability suddenly disappeared on various voyages about 2 weeks ago until mid-august 

I have a further update. Just spoke to Cunard.

They said the reduced capacity is down to them struggling to get staff to the ports (visa and documents issues). They have a list of voyages impacted, not all of the voyages in a certain period are. They are working through this and hopefully will be done soon (the lovely lady on the phone said a few days). I haven’t asked more in depth question but the customer service is aware of it.

My understanding of it, is the cruises that were fully booked before the beginning of May inventory closure are the most likely to be impacted

58 minutes ago, Alslc said:

how many customers are you talking about? In what grade were they booked on? When did they get notified ?

I couldn’t find any reports on various pages online.

This has to be the reason why the availability suddenly disappeared on various voyages about 2 weeks ago until mid-august 

I don’t know how many are impacted. I asked about decks/grades etc the only one who answered said ocean view. They got emails today.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, delondin said:

I don’t know how many are impacted. I asked about decks/grades etc the only one who answered said ocean view. They got emails today.

I wonder if they have kicked off in order of cost. Sounds horrid but the less you paid the less refund Cunard has to give back. Us mere mortals are Britannia balcony I'll put money on no one in the Grills gets put on the naughty list due to refundable cost 

33 minutes ago, tony s said:

Just spoke to Cunard 7/24 not on list and anyone being cancelled will be notified before COB today. Mostly it is last minutes they are cancelling

Can you clarify? We are due to board QE on the 24 July 

I doubt very much there is any focus on individuals or their cruise costs. Some cruisers demand certain cabins and will not allow any changes.  That may have been fine in the past, but when the ship needs to make large scale decisions (e.g. all deck 5 reserved for covid quarantine), if you are a passenger who is not flexible and cannot be moved, or by bad luck your cabin is part of the quarantine area, then yes, cancellations become the final decisions.  

The Covid challenges are continuing and cruise lines are attempting to navigate risky travel times.  They, more than any of us travelers, wish times would get back to normal! 

In these days of constant change, if one trip gets cancelled, I just book something else and put my cancelled trip on the future travel bucket list.  So far the list includes China (yes, my tour was booked, some money still with tour company), Mexico cruise (booked and refunded), my brother's Baltic cruise (refunded), my other brother's eastern European tour (booked and company has money) Iceland (also booked and refunded), Viking cruise (also booked and I have a lot of cruise credit).  

What have I learned?  Do not plan too far in advance, be very flexible, patient and calm, go with the flow, don't extend too much money out if the trip is shaky, and enjoy my travels wherever I end up going!!

• Like 4

Just spoken to a lovely Cunard rep in the UK, they said to me they were looking at a case by case basis, so there are no general criteria used. 

They said impacted guest had been contacted yesterday, so if you haven’t been contacted yesterday, your booking is (at the moment) secured. They also said they are, for a reason I don’t understand, protecting last minute booking and were looking at booking created several months ago for potential cancellation. He couldn’t share any more information. 

From what I can see online, they are cancelling booking for entire voyages as well (so not only shorter trips of a longer voyage, if it makes sense).

Edited by Alslc

I've just had an email reminder that my final payment for 14th Aug QV fjords is due by 16th, I have a deck 5 balcony and I'm wondering if a I'm gonna get moved or shunted off altogether, so not keen on paying now, I booked on Feb when the low deposit perks offer was on. 🤔🤔🙄

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I can imagine how disappointing it must be to be bumped off, I hope you don't have to wait too much longer for confirmation either way.

The problem is the lack of transparency.

I have been told many times everyone was notified yesterday but they can’t give me the 100 % reassurance. Let’s see if we get more reports of cruises cancelled in the next few days

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alslc said:

The problem is the lack of transparency.

I have been told many times everyone was notified yesterday but they can’t give me the 100 % reassurance. Let’s see if we get more reports of cruises cancelled in the next few days

You can talk to three different reps and get three different answers. So much is in flux these days, nobody knows for sure what's going to happen.

5 hours ago, cook68 said:

Just confirmed we are still on for 3rd  July Fjords. We are on deck 6 balconies 

We are on the same trip but starting from Kiel, Germany.

I can log into "Manage my bookings" with my booking number and see everything there so I guess we will be there also.

• Like 1

My booking is safe but I feel for those cancelled by poor planning on Cunard. I would hope Cunard will knock themselves out to make right by these folks as it leaves so many weary to take their product when there are more reliable companies out there. Do keep in mind Carnival owns both Cunard and Costa.