Discovery Princess - Alaskan Cruises - Formal nights

wendellman

43 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

Normally it's the first full sea day and the last full sea day. I wouldn't really say it's all that formal.

We used to love getting "all dressed up" with my wife wearing a long gown, and I would be wearing a formal tuxedo.

But....the problem is that it adds to the baggage.  Especially since airlines like Delta limit you to one suitcase per passenger.

I much prefer  semi-formal or casual.  Men may wish to just wear a nice shirt and pants, perhaps a sweater or a blazer.  Women a dress, but of course pants will also be permitted.

Just some thoughts

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

We used to love getting "all dressed up" with my wife wearing a long gown, and I would be wearing a formal tuxedo.

But....the problem is that it adds to the baggage.  Especially since airlines like Delta limit you to one suitcase per passenger.

I much prefer  semi-formal or casual.  Men may wish to just wear a nice shirt and pants, perhaps a sweater or a blazer.  Women a dress, but of course pants will also be permitted.

Just some thoughts

Delta doesn’t look limit passengers to a single bag. You may pay more, but you are certainly free to bring more than one 

• Like 1

You can see which nights are scheduled as formal in the JourneyView activities timeline in the app. Each evening will show either casual or formal portraits. It can populate as much as a couple of months ahead of time. The only certainty before then is that they won’t be on the first or last night 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Delta doesn’t look limit passengers to a single bag. You may pay more, but you are certainly free to bring more than one 

Yes...if you want to pay more for each bag.

"What are the formal nights?" On a seven night cruise, Princess hosts two formal evenings. The number of Formal Nights varies by cruise length. Menu is fancier than the other Smart Casual nights. I find also the entertainment is better on those nights, but that's a matter of taste. There are photographers around the ship. Those photos are pricey, IMO. On the final Formal Night, the Captain will usually give a talk in the atrium and complimentary cocktails are served, well, they used to do that before Covid.

Princess has an online page with recommendations of what to wear, about 5 PM you'll notice people have changed for the evening. You will see tuxedos and suits on men, but some choose not to dress for the evening too. Hope that answers your question.

Edited by mtnesterz

On 5/11/2022 at 12:29 PM, wendellman said:

What are the formal nights for Discovery's 7 day Alaska cruises out of Seattle this summer?

If the roll call before yours is doing the same itinerary , you can check with them or just be on the lookout for a Live From the Discovery Princess,probably get better answers at that point for exact nights. Since I don’t know what your itinerary is or your port stops ,can’t exactly help that way. But it will not be the first night that you embark on the cruise and it will not be the last night of the cruise. 

On 5/11/2022 at 3:29 PM, wendellman said:

What are the formal nights for Discovery's 7 day Alaska cruises out of Seattle this summer?

On 5/11/2022 at 3:35 PM, Eaglecw said:

Normally it's the first full sea day and the last full sea day. I wouldn't really say it's all that formal.

This has been our experience, as well.

On 5/12/2022 at 5:42 AM, Torfamm said:

You can see which nights are scheduled as formal in the JourneyView activities timeline in the app. Each evening will show either casual or formal portraits. It can populate as much as a couple of months ahead of time. The only certainty before then is that they won’t be on the first or last night 

To the OP, we are on the 5/22 sailing, and I was guessing - based on past experience - that they would be the first Sea Day (Day 2 - Monday) and the last Sea Day (Day 6 - Friday).

As Torfamm suggested, I just consulted the Journey View on the Medallion App and, while it does not yet say what the dress code is for each night (that may not be aded until on board), it does reference Formal Portraits being taken on the 2 Sea Days, with no reference to formal portraits on any other days, so I think it's safe to assume those will be the formal nights.

Oh, and it's now called "evening chic night" as opposed to formal night. The suggested dress code affords more flexibility, and you will see a wide array of attire on that night, from tuxes and gowns to "designer" jeans and Hawaiian shirts (usually collared). We dressed up for years, but prefer to go a little more casual these days. To each their own, and have a good time. 🙂 

Hope that's helpful. 

• Like 1