Solo on QM2

floridafish

2 minutes ago, floridafish said:

I'm considering trans Atlantic to UK . Anyone here do this solo and what can you tell me about the experience? TIA

Not a Solo voyager, but if requiring a dedicated “Single” stateroom, one piece of advice will be to book early on the day of release.  However, a double/twin for single use is still a nice stateroom.

Enjoy your Voyage….

38 minutes ago, floridafish said:

I'm considering trans Atlantic to UK . Anyone here do this solo and what can you tell me about the experience? TIA

Prior to the anytime late dining chaos sailing solo on Cunard was a joy. Cunard used to match up passengers for large tables and it was rather great fun. Sailing solo on ANY ship that does not offer fixed seating is chancy as so many people tend to shy away from solo passengers. Particularly if you are male. Female solo do tend to do better. Good luck. 

I haven't sailed TA since COVID, but prior to that, I adored sailing TA solo. (First TA post-COVID will be in November.) 

My first TA I ate by myself (fixed time dining), and only ended up eating in the MDR a few times. The second time, I was seated at a table for 6, and had a delightful table of folks, and ended up eating in the MDR every night.

I'm an introvert, so am quite happy finding a corner of the Carinthia Lounge to sit and knit or read, attending the Insights talks, and taking my book to meals. (This is actually *why* I cruise - an entire week where I can do exactly what I want, when I want, and don't have to have a conversation with anyone unless I want to.) 

7 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Sailing solo on ANY ship that does not offer fixed seating is chancy as so many people tend to shy away from solo passengers. Particularly if you are male.

Sorry you experienced such isolation. I have never, EVER experienced this as a solo male passenger (even during COVID times), and I have sailed solo many times on different lines. 

1 hour ago, njguy_south said:

Sorry you experienced such isolation. I have never, EVER experienced this as a solo male passenger (even during COVID times), and I have sailed solo many times on different lines. 

So do tell how you manage with anytime seating to find a congenial group of like minded folk every evening. My poor experiences were all on NCL. Never had a bad time on Cunard because they had civilized assigned dining times and seatings.

I have sailed solo on the QM2 over a dozen times, all transatlantic. I never booked one of the single cabins, partly because I do not like where they are located and partly because they seem to sell out within minutes of posting. I always get a regular cabin (and pay the 100% single supplement).

I have never felt socially isolated. But I make a positive effort to meet people. I encourage people to join me when I am seated alone at a table for four during afternoon tea in the Queen's Room, for example, or for Trivia in the Golden Lion Pub. And as a gay male, I attend the Friends of Dorothy group in the Commodore Club every day, which does facilitate social interaction. The gatherings have ranged from a handful of people to several dozen. And non-gay people are usually welcome. Quite often the celebrities on the ship will drop in on FoD, simply because it is a fun group!  I have even stayed in touch with many people that I met through that particular group, including one very well-known British movie star. 

The one down-side (for me) of sailing solo on Cunard is the Britannia for dinner. With assigned seating, Cunard does like to put all of the solos at one or two tables. I have had several crossings during which I had to ask the maitre-d' to move me, simple because my table mates were intolerable. I always ask to be seated instead at a large table (8-10) that has one or two unassigned seats. And that has always worked out beautifully! The couples at those tables seem to like to "adopt" solo passengers!

• Like 1

I have sailed solo twice on Cunard and once on HAL, and would have done more but for Covid shutdown. I've found that with fixed dining, the people who don't want to socialize get 2-tops. The people who do want to socialize ask for large tables. So if you go as a solo, you're likely to be added to a group that enjoys meeting other people.

Cunard trips were one TA and one cruise. Of course, this was in the Before Times, so things could be different now. But it's always been a tradition on Cunard to welcome anyone at tea or the buffet or the pub who asks "may I join you?" On the TA, I was at a table with 3 other passengers sailing solo and we enjoyed discussing our various travels. One man was on a trip around the world with NO flying.

On the Cunard cruise, I was at a table with couples. I remember one silly evening on the cruise, the dessert was lemon meringue pie. It turned out to be little lemon tarts with tiny meringues on top. We went all Paul Hollywood--the meringues weren't evenly sized, some browner than others, not all placed in the center, etc. You know people have bonded when they join into a group joke.

Solo on HAL was good because I was at a large table with pleasant people. Socializing around the ship was less than on Cunard, although on Canal day (partial transit of Panama Canal), everyone on deck chats with other people. 

I wouldn't go solo on NCL if you gave it to me. One evening, my DH and I were sat with another couple who would not even respond to "good evening." They were at their main course when we were seated. Awkward in so many ways. I suppose I shouldn't condemn them based on one cruise, but I have no desire to sail with them again. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We were on an Alaska cruise on the Radiance of the Seas.  We were put at a large table with a family of 6.  I said hello to the lady sitting next to me.  She looked at me and said I can not hear, turned away and did not speak to me the rest of the cruise.  Never encountered that on all the cruises we have done over the years.

I have only sailed as a solo once once on NCL and that was in December.  I was impressed with their solo program.  They have a solo host who each night booked one of the lounge areas at 5 pm for solos to meet up.  He would try to get everyone talking to each other with a few ice breakers.   On the first night, he arranged for two tables at the nearby main restaurant.  Every other night, the host and solos would meet and the solos on their own would either eat at one of the main restaurants or share free dining vouchers for two that came with the normal fare.   

So not arguing you won’t sit next to a dud.  I did on the first night as to my left was a boring NCL loyalist who wouldn’t shut up about how great NCL is but to my right was a Brit my age who I will be visiting in London for the day right before my WB end of July.    But on two of my three Cunard solo crossings, I had to every night make sure not to sit next to an insufferable Cunard loyalist who seemed to think being Diamond meant he was a cut above the rest of us, even though we we all in steerage, and an insufferable elderly woman who seemed to delight in correcting what everyone said. And that was every night.  Buti have made friends with two solo travelers on Cunard as well.  

Frankly, given the prevalence of solo cabins on NCL, the ability to share dinner vouchers for specialty restaurants with another (assuming you book the common free at sea fare), the dedicated solo host, the standing solo happy hour, I really think NCL did a superior job catering to solos than Cunard.  But I do like the Cunard solo table. 

• Like 1

Quite frankly- I prefer to sail solo on Cunard- I love the time I have JUST FOR MYSELF. I can do what I want, when i want. I can chat if i so choose or when in the mood...! NCL´s system sounds quite lovley-for those who want to mingle!

I never attended a " single get together" wheter with Celebrity or Cunard.

For me traveling solo and the solitude that comes with it- is almost a balm and ijust love it. Guess I am a bit of a loner! LOL.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 3