If you hear a bad cough...

My teenage daughter has a wicked cough caused by some sinus and inner ear issues.  She is having surgery for this when we return from our cruise (leaving in about 2 weeks on Allure).  Mornings are worse but she coughs all day (postnasal drip) and sometimes has small coughing attacks.  I am wondering if she needs some sort of letter from her doctor stating the cause of her cough.  Will she constantly be pulled aside and tested because of this?  Will she have any difficulty at the health screening.  She can "hold it in" for short periods of time but not for 8 days.  I hope the lack of allergens on the ocean will help a little...but I want to be prepared for the worst.

6 minutes ago, kateg said:

My teenage daughter has a wicked cough caused by some sinus and inner ear issues.  She is having surgery for this when we return from our cruise (leaving in about 2 weeks on Allure).  Mornings are worse but she coughs all day (postnasal drip) and sometimes has small coughing attacks.  I am wondering if she needs some sort of letter from her doctor stating the cause of her cough.  Will she constantly be pulled aside and tested because of this?  Will she have any difficulty at the health screening.  She can "hold it in" for short periods of time but not for 8 days.  I hope the lack of allergens on the ocean will help a little...but I want to be prepared for the worst.

No. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kateg said:

I coughed the last 4 days of the second leg of our b2b and no one ever said a word.  I had sinusitis and tested negative (flu and covid) at the peak of my illness when I got home and went to Urgent Care.  A lot of people were hacking and coughing onboard and I mean a lot, probably 40% of those onboard.  I coughed a lot and so were others, but I haven't heard of them pulling anyone aside and testing them.  As for the health screening, technically she has a cough, but you know why.  I have a real issue with the health screening as it's way too generic and doesn't prove anything at all.  If I had the symptoms I developed at the end of our cruise before I boarded and answered the questions honestly, I would not have been allowed to board even though I was negative and did not have covid.  A cough means absolutely nothing, nor does a runny nose.    Heck, even a temperature (I had one with my infection) doesn't mean anything.  A sinus infection causes a temp but you can't catch a sinus infection.  You can catch the cold that caused it, but not a sinus infection itself.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

People cough. It happens.  Funny thing it happened before covid and no one cared.

You'll be fine.

Agree. Just got off B4B and bet heard 100 Passengers Coughing during the Month. Also inc my Daughter with Sinus Infection. No issues, though she went and got Tested twice onboard just in case

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

I have chronic sinus issues, allergies, and a cough from medication I take.  I also have food allergies that make me especially congested after eating.  Prior to the pandemic, I thought nothing of it, but of course always covered my mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing.  Now, I am very self-conscious about it and always want to explain myself.  I guess what I need to do is use my best Arnold Schwarzenegger imitation voice from Kindergarten Cop, proclaim "It's not the COVID!"

• Like 2