ISO Perfect black pants, rain or shine

kaymoz

Looking for feedback about the "perfect" black pants for traveling with a carry-on only, so they work for everything, along with denim jeans.  We'll be in Ireland, so the pants should be sturdy and water resistant but not so intensely synthetic that they would be uncomfortable should the weather warm up.  I prefer a zipper closure to pull-on.  I want them to be practical for hiking, so lots of generous, workable pockets would be great.  And they should be generically plain enough that I can dress them up with a nice top when needed.  Any suggestions?

They only have charcoal now but look at Vuori. The ripstop nylon pants are wonderful.  i've got a pair in black and one in army green.  i've had them for 3 years.  They've been the only pants i've travel with the past 3 years.  All their photos show them rolled up to ankle length, but unrolled they are 'normal' pant length.  

My travel pants are black bootcut workout pants (yoga pants). Mine are long enough that I can wear them dressed up in the evening, but not so long that they buckle over sneakers. Stretchy, smooth. No pockets, though.

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

My travel pants are black bootcut workout pants (yoga pants). Mine are long enough that I can wear them dressed up in the evening, but not so long that they buckle over sneakers. Stretchy, smooth. No pockets, though.

Vuori has a nice black wide-leg yoga pant.  I wore them all winter long at work.  They "dressed up" well.  They have 2 'hand pockets'.  But they are pull-on.   I  want to correct my comment yesterday about the rip stop Vuori pants that I have:  They do zip up but have a tie waist,  so kind of a hybrid, I'd say.

Thanks to the two of you for the feedback -- I will check out Vuori.  Today I recalled some fave pants from long, long ago that were totally comfortable for movement and felt like such a great fit -- and they had a crotch gusset.  I think that feature enabled more freedom of movement than many pants (like jeans) without being baggy.   That realization sent me on a search to see which pants might incorporate that feature, and happily it seems quite a few hiking pants do!  But many of them are mid-rise (so the waistband is out of the way in order to not interfere with waist straps from a backpack).  It's often hard to me to get a good fit with that kind of cut, so I may need to go into a store and try things on.....

Edited by kaymoz

11 minutes ago, kaymoz said:

Thanks to the two of you for the feedback -- I will check out Vuori.  Today I recalled some fave pants from long, long ago that were totally comfortable for movement and felt like such a great fit -- and they had a crotch gusset.  I think that feature enabled more freedom of movement than many pants (like jeans) without being baggy.   That realization sent me on a search to see which pants might incorporate that feature, and happily it seems quite a few hiking pants do!  But many of them are mid-rise (so the waistband is out of the way in order to not interfere with waist straps from a backpack).  It's often hard to me to get a good fit with that kind of cut, so I may need to go into a store and try things on.....

I wonder if you had Gramici pants - they had the gusseted crotch.  Loved mine.

Hey - depending on where you are in Virginia you might be able to try on some Vuori at the nearest REI.  I know mine here in UT carries them and they are also in their online store. 

"I wonder if you had Gramici pants - they had the gusseted crotch. "

Yes!!!  I had forgotten the name but looked it up and that's it!!  And amazingly, the product they are selling now looks very much like the ones I bought 30 years ago!  (and they still have that funky logo!)  But now the product for women that resembles my old one specifically says it doesn't include the gusset like the men's version does.  Wha????  They gave an explanation that didn't make sense.  And they are cotton, which made them super comfortable in the past year-round, but wouldn't really work for the upcoming trip to Ireland since I'll need something made to be water resistant.
It's clearly time for a visit to my local REI.  I checked the system and they do have the Vuori in stock.  And in a few days, a Sierra store will open nearby so that's another shopper possibility.  Fortunately we don't leave for this trip until late July so I have some time to work things out.

• Like 1

Hello,

Have you tried ones from Eddie Bauer? They have multiple different styles. I own several pairs and travel with at least one. There's always a sale on their website and you can try on in their stores. Happy shopping 😀

on FB today, I had a post from Travel & Leisure on the best travel pants for women.  Timely.  I couldn't pick the post, but if you go to Travelandleisure.com, find the post 'the best travel pants for women.'  A few Athletas are on the list.  A surprise for me was to see the Outdoor Voices' Retrek Pant.  I didn't think of it because it is an ankle pant.  4 pockets, really nice fabric.  I have a pair of the Retrek Cargo pants that zip off 2 different ways.  Funky colors that wouldn't work for travel, but I love them when I'm camping.  If someone didn't mind the colors, they'd be perfect for an ultra-light traveler.  Anyway, the Retrek Pant would be on my list now if I wanted a pair of ankle pants. 

Just thought I'd let you know about the list. 

• Like 1

Great ideas!  If it is raining tomorrow as predicted, I might head to my local REI and both Athleta & Eddie Bauer nearby; see what fits, what feels right.  It's so hard to shop online when there is uncertainty about how the fabric will feel!  I did find the article in T&L, which also had useful articles about rain jackets for women and travel pants for men.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, kaymoz said:

Looking for feedback about the "perfect" black pants for traveling with a carry-on only, so they work for everything, along with denim jeans.  We'll be in Ireland, so the pants should be sturdy and water resistant but not so intensely synthetic that they would be uncomfortable should the weather warm up.  I prefer a zipper closure to pull-on.  I want them to be practical for hiking, so lots of generous, workable pockets would be great.  And they should be generically plain enough that I can dress them up with a nice top when needed.  Any suggestions?

Edit: Looked it up, they don't currently sell these. Should've looked it up first. Bummer.

Old cmoment, before edit: Gap had some dressy black pants I used to buy for work for years. Not sure if they still carry them but Ive worn them in so many different situations. Very comfy but they dress up really nicely. But also if you're okay looking a little dressy in port they'd probably be comfortable. I worked planning activities at an assisted living and wore them a in the 100 degree heat doing activities (20 minute activities, maybe 30 max per activitiy) with our residents. As comfy as pants can being 100 degree heat. 

Edited by oyme

I finally made it to the stores today!  First, to REI, where I found something that felt great but had to reluctantly reject since REI doesn't carry it in black, the optimum color for travel.  Then on to Eddie Bauer, where I tried their Climatrail pant, which might just be 'the one.'  Very comfortable, and lots of flexiblity thanks to the seaming design and the stretchiness of the fabric.  I do wonder how these lycra-laden polyester garments will hold up over the years; the material for these pants is listed as 91% polyester/9% spandex.  (Who doesn't have a favorite old bathing suit that failed when the stretchy components embrittled in spite of careful hand-washing?!)

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/23151378/womens-climatrail-pants?color=Black&size=12&sizeType=Regular&sp=1.  

Edited by kaymoz

On 5/21/2022 at 12:53 PM, slidergirl said:

Bummer.  There seems to be a dearth of pure black active pants lately.  did you get to try the Vuori pants?

No, I only tried that one called Activator.  Because I was overwhelmed with how much merchandise was on the floor, I had asked the sales people to show me the ones that were water resistant and I think that's how the Vuori fell thru the cracks, since I think I had checked and they carried it.  It's Ireland so it will rain often and I really need water resistant.  I ended up deciding to get these from Eddie Bauer and ordered them yesterday:  https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/23151378/womens-climatrail-pants?size=12&sizeType=Regular

Not perfect in terms of pockets - I like the arrangement in the Vuori and Activator better.  But at least they are WR and heavy enough.

Edited by kaymoz
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, kaymoz said:

No, I only tried that one called Activator.  Because I was overwhelmed with how much merchandise was on the floor, I had asked the sales people to show me the ones that were water resistant and I think that's how the Vuori fell thru the cracks, since I think I had checked and they carried it.  It's Ireland so it will rain often and I really need water resistant.  I ended up deciding to get these from Eddie Bauer and ordered them yesterday:  https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/23151378/womens-climatrail-pants?size=12&sizeType=Regular

Not perfect in terms of pockets - I like the arrangement in the Vuori and Activator better.  But at least they are WR and heavy enough.

Hope they work out. I don't own these but do have the guide pro pants, horizon guide slim pants and horizon roll-up pants. They have all held up well after washing. I do line dry them though. Their movement lux 7/8 length leggings are very comfortable and buttery soft. REI has great stuff too and currently having their anniversary sale. I loved their midweight base layers and recently ordered the top and tights.