Covid Test requirement to enter USA from UK

Tinkerbellsparkle

So, I was understanding that we need a PCR (expensive) or a Lateral Flow (cheaper), and assume that it needs to be done either in a private test centre or at home by videolink to a test centre.

I have scanned the CDC (Centres for Disease Control and Prevention) website which is linked from Gov.com, and I cannot find anywhere which stipilates that the test has to be verified by an approved person/centre.

So does that mean we can do the at home test like this one from Randox?

375264732_Screenshot2022-05-13at16_07_54.thumb.png.a32ebe4ad2a232123aeb4f16198f1355.png

Hi Tinkerbellesparkle,

I just copied this from the BA site. About 12 lines down it says you need to have “real-time supervision “.

Maybe your flight is with a different company?

All travellers regardless of their vaccination status must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, SDA, CRISPR, or Antigen: Rapid, Viral, Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay, Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence). The test must be taken a maximum of 1 day before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary (if a flight is at 1 pm on a Friday, travellers could board with a COVID-19 negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday). Test results must include the traveller's full name and at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number. The test must also clearly state that the results are "negative," SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected," SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected," or "COVID-19 not detected." A test marked "invalid" is not acceptable. This requirement applies to all travellers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travellers. Travellers may use a self-testing (sometimes referred to as a home test) procedure that must include a telehealth service that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. The test must meet the requirements of the CDC. For more details, please see the source. Some US states might have more strict rules regarding COVID-19 test types and where they must be administered. Please carefully review the rules before travelling to each state.

2 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Hi Tinkerbellesparkle,

I just copied this from the BA site. About 12 lines down it says you need to have “real-time supervision “.

Maybe your flight is with a different company?

All travellers regardless of their vaccination status must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, SDA, CRISPR, or Antigen: Rapid, Viral, Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay, Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence). The test must be taken a maximum of 1 day before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary (if a flight is at 1 pm on a Friday, travellers could board with a COVID-19 negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday). Test results must include the traveller's full name and at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number. The test must also clearly state that the results are "negative," SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected," SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected," or "COVID-19 not detected." A test marked "invalid" is not acceptable. This requirement applies to all travellers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travellers. Travellers may use a self-testing (sometimes referred to as a home test) procedure that must include a telehealth service that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. The test must meet the requirements of the CDC. For more details, please see the source. Some US states might have more strict rules regarding COVID-19 test types and where they must be administered. Please carefully review the rules before travelling to each state.

Thank you, I did find that after posting. Strange that it does not say that on the CDC website.

I've now bought tests from DocHQ (arriving in the post) with a videolink appointment for the day before we fly, it has great reviews and cost us £77 for 4 people.

Great price. We are paying nearly £70 each for a test that we go to a centre for.

But we have bought Medicspot tests for our tests we need to take in the US before we board QM2. Used them on the advice of CC board!

I’m really not worried about testing positive as we both had mild Covid about 6 weeks ago, but this rigmarole is a real pain. I wouldn’t have booked a trip to USA if I had known these tests were required!

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

The requirement for a home test to be witnessed is on the CDC website:

fullsizeoutput_7fd.thumb.jpeg.63cc4f092213441c4b265dfe262a9c0e.jpeg

We used BreatheAssured for on-line supervised tests prior to a trip to the USA. Very friendly & efficient.

Yep, easy to find on the CDC site..

Those of us who don't trust the video-link technology required get ours done in-store  locally by online appointment at a Lloyds pharmacy. https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/covid-19-lateral-flow-test

JB 🙂

We booked an antigen test with Express test. Drove to test centre. Professional service and gentle medic did test at 11 am. Drove as far as motorway services to wait for result which came through in about half an hour. ( paid £96, for two tests, having had 4% discount with travel agent code) This was Tuesday.

Drove to Heathrow hotel. On check in they were able to print out a copy of negative test. ( neurotic phone would not show results).

Flew to USA following morning. (Wednesday)

Next day re tested at Lab Doctor (Thursday)  in preparation for cruise.(Saturday)

On 5/14/2022 at 2:15 PM, Reina del Mar said:

Drove to Heathrow hotel. On check in they were able to print out a copy of negative test. ( neurotic phone would not show results).

I am having problems with the printing aspects of this with our thursday tests. We have changed hotels to a hotel that has a PC. The one we booked into didn't have a pc so we changed. I have decided to do the printing at work then join my father at the airport hotel with the negative results later.

25 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

I was neurotic, not the phone !

The receptionist at Premier Inn was more than happy to print out the negative result certificates.  (at no charge)

So am I when it comes to tech.

Did you give receptionist access to your email like the password or did you get the test centre to forward the results to the hotel email?. We are using 2 separate email addresses one for each test both of which work now but I am concerned about losing access to the emails if I give the password over or if email provider does not recognise location or something like that. And I am also not confident about being able to contact my test firm to get the results forwarded.

No we just emailed our result certificates from two separate email addresses,  to the hotel, with our name and room number. They then printed them out. 

No need to give anyone access to your emails.

We used Express Test.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by Reina del Mar
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There are 4 of us travelling to the US (3 adults and 1 Child aged 6) and will have to get a test the day before (Friday for the Saturday flight) but do not board the cruise until Sunday. Does this mean we have to get another test in the US or will the test from the Friday be ok?

On 6/7/2022 at 12:37 PM, Roybthered said:

There are 4 of us travelling to the US (3 adults and 1 Child aged 6) and will have to get a test the day before (Friday for the Saturday flight) but do not board the cruise until Sunday. Does this mean we have to get another test in the US or will the test from the Friday be ok?

Your friday test should probably be ok to board Sunday.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Roybthered said:

Thanks for that, just seen that CDC might be dropping the testing? Do you think the Cruise lines will follow suit?

The test requirement to enter the U.S ends today (Sunday). Not sure about whether the cruise lines will end the requirement I think they will still want the test 2 days beforehand. When do you cruise?

10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The test requirement to enter the U.S ends today (Sunday). Not sure about whether the cruise lines will end the requirement I think they will still want the test 2 days beforehand. When do you cruise?

We cruise in the US on the 16th Oct out of NJ on Oasis, we fly in on the Saturday so will test on the Friday before we fly. That will give us two days prior to sailing. We will still have to do the same in Europe as we sail on Odyssey at the end of Sept on a 9 night Med cruise and will have to have a test done for that but not to fly. I understand the cruise lines problems but think at some point they will drop the testing as it is hindering the return of pre Covid numbers and they will at some point need the income that was generated. The problem will be the fact that quite a number of countries are stopping testing and tests will become a bit harder to source.

22 hours ago, Roybthered said:

Do you think the Cruise lines will follow suit?

My understanding is that, whilst America is removing testing as a condition of entry,  the CDC is retaining it as an advisory for cruise lines. On that basis, I think it most unlikely that a line is going to break ranks anytime soon. Just think of the bad publicity it would suffer if the line had not followed CDC advice and there was a major outbreak. It could be devastating  for their profits.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harters said:

My understanding is that, whilst America is removing testing as a condition of entry,  the CDC is retaining it as an advisory for cruise lines. On that basis, I think it most unlikely that a line is going to break ranks anytime soon. Just think of the bad publicity it would suffer if the line had not followed CDC advice and there was a major outbreak. It could be devastating  for their profits.

No I don't think it will be anytime soon but it will at some point it has too.

On 6/12/2022 at 3:36 PM, Harters said:

Viking just broke ranks.

• Like 1