Cruise Lines Staffing Issues

1 hour ago, gatour said:

To the first quote.  If they are short of staff in MDR plus staff in the specialy restaraunts, make sense to combine the two seperate staff that are available into the MDR or the remaing speciality restaurants.

I still don't get that logic.  If one waiter + asst. can handle, say 30 guests per meal, but they are having to handle 50 guests, it does not matter if those 50 guests and waiter+asst are in the MDR, Chops, CK, etc.  They will still have more guests than they can handle and the service will be sub-par.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, smokeybandit said:

No shore leave, having to mask 24/7 (though that's been relaxed), having to be tested every 3 days (also since relaxed), quarantining in isolation for 10+ days even if you feel 100% fine.

Most certainly some who were asked to come back said "hell no" when facing a six month contract of being treated so poorly.

So yes, the CDC bears a lot of the blame.

The no shore leave isnt true for all ships. The diamond ambassador on my ship has gotten off every port and told us where he went. Last time he was rushed and didnt have time for his massage.

Depends maybe what ports. 

We are so short dining. First sea day they ran out of several foods, then ran out of silverware, then no clean tables. They stopped allowing people into the WJ and they had to wait in line to get in.

My waiter, mary, thinks I'm not allowed to order items off the vegan or kids menu. Been only 2 times to Mdr for dinner and she told me no, I have to pre order. I said i ordered the same item last 2 legs. No such rule. Both times she called over her supervisor.  Instead of telling her I can order mac  n cheese from the kids menu he is separating us next leg. 

Poorly trained and desperate is how I describe service. 2 hour dinners. Someone said he walked out of chops after 1 hour 30 minutes. I'm on grandeur. 

Every aspect of the travel industry is being hit due to demands in the industry.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Travel-Agent-Issues/Suppliers-rush-to-staff-up-train-as-ire-builds-on-call-wait-times

I read this last week that the hired 500 - 600 people from a hiring fair in Gambia for all services from cooks to room attendants and still look to hire hundreds more. https://crew-center.com/royal-caribbean-hires-600-gambian-crew 

Also they are looking at hiring from Barbados too.  

Maybe many who once were employed just decided they didn't want to work for the industry again once their contract expired.

Since the new hires will need to get the required vaccination, with period of at least two shots (just a guess)  by the late summer they will be ready to be deployed on their ships.

Edited by Plum Happy