How to get a family veranda?

medtech71

We are sailing on the Refection and have a cabin on ‘the hump’.  I have no problems with staying there, but I noticed that there is a family veranda on s class ships.  The are a bit larger and have separate bunk beds for the kids.  These cabins don’t appear on the booking site and when I called Celebrity, they told me they don’t exist….I have a hard time believing that.  Has anyone ever booked these?  They are cabins 7107, 7108, 8107, 8108 etc in the front corners…thanks

The Family Veranda rooms are being converted to suites as a ship goes through Revolution.  Not all of them, but on the S-Class ships they typically are.  
On ships where they do exist, they are usually reserved until the last minute for families of 5.  They must be booked by a TA over the phone, as in the TA has to call Celebrity and book over the phone for you.  Or, the passenger must book directly over the phone.  The guests have to provide the names and info for all 5 passengers when booking before a few months out.  If they are not sold at final payment, they are usually opened up for under 5 people.  

On S-Class ships, they are a separate category, between a CS and a RS suite, and have some but not all the perks of the RS.  

2 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

The Family Veranda rooms are being converted to suites as a ship goes through Revolution.  Not all of them, but on the S-Class ships they typically are.  
On ships where they do exist, they are usually reserved until the last minute for families of 5.  They must be booked by a TA over the phone, as in the TA has to call Celebrity and book over the phone for you.  Or, the passenger must book directly over the phone.  The guests have to provide the names and info for all 5 passengers when booking before a few months out.  If they are not sold at final payment, they are usually opened up for under 5 people.  

On S-Class ships, they are a separate category, between a CS and a RS suite, and have some but not all the perks of the RS.  

3 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

Very detailed answer, thanks!  I’ll see if it’s possible…if not, I’m happy in our current cabin.

Cheers

They are not listed on the Millennium for July but did turn up on MoveUp. Fingers crossed- would love to get one- Guess they must be keeping the term since the Millennium has been revolutionised- but does have some redoing or renaming or something in a while. 

2 hours ago, medtech71 said:

We are sailing on the Refection and have a cabin on ‘the hump’.  I have no problems with staying there, but I noticed that there is a family veranda on s class ships.  The are a bit larger and have separate bunk beds for the kids.  These cabins don’t appear on the booking site and when I called Celebrity, they told me they don’t exist….I have a hard time believing that.  Has anyone ever booked these?  They are cabins 7107, 7108, 8107, 8108 etc in the front corners…thanks

medtech71,

I have booked these FV cabins on S-class (including Reflection) 9 times for my wife, kids, and me.  As you noted, it is certainly an excellent cabin choice if you have to put 3-5 people in a single cabin as opposed to booking two cabins.  When they first are available for reserving, you are required to have a minimum of 5 passengers and the funny thing is that Celebrity's reservation system can't do 5 passengers so even the Future Cruise consultants on board the Celebrity ships have to call it in to have it manually done.   This also means that it is impossible for you to see them when you look online because booking for 5 passengers in a cabin is not a selectable option on Celebrity's website. However your TA should be able to see it (or see that they are all booked).

On top of that, since there are only 4 of them on S-class, they sell out very quickly.  And since I prefer the Deck 8 FVs over the Deck 7 (meaning I am only interested in two cabins on the entire ship), I usually book them about 2 years in advance to ensure I get the cabin I want on the sailing that I want (sailing as a family usually does not afford us much scheduling flexibility).

If they are all booked, I believe you can waitlist for them.  Also it is worth looking to see if an FV is available right around the final payment deadline in case there is a cancellation.

By the way, the FVs are not just a bit larger than a standard balcony cabin.  Not counting the balcony the FVs on Deck 8 measure in at 618 sq ft (Deck 7 FVs are smaller), so that means they are like 3-4x bigger than a standard balcony cabin.  Still only one standard size bathroom though!

Finally, the only S-class ship where it is correct that the "FVs do not exist" is on Silhouette where they sadly have been re-furnished and recategorized as Sunset Suites. 

image.thumb.jpeg.585f2ef6a23e98bb429c73eab533e756.jpeg

Reflection FV 8107 living room, Jan 4 2019 while Reflection was docked at Port Everglades.  Note the two large windows.

image.thumb.jpeg.2e0705fe61d8f746dff6230f5aa20905.jpeg

Another view of Reflection FV 8107 living room, dining area, and balcony sliding door.

image.thumb.jpeg.9b557139f08fc5a252359fd83ad9480a.jpeg

Reflection FV 8107 master bedroom

image.thumb.jpeg.e16e437a8f32c76bb8403f2eeae171e9.jpeg

Reflection FV 8107 second bedroom.

image.thumb.png.8ececd049d5f6f85bee734c93929080f.png

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

medtech71,

I have booked these FV cabins on S-class (including Reflection) 9 times for my wife, kids, and me.  As you noted, it is certainly an excellent cabin choice if you have to put 3-5 people in a single cabin as opposed to booking two cabins.  When they first are available for reserving, you are required to have a minimum of 5 passengers and the funny thing is that Celebrity's reservation system can't do 5 passengers so even the Future Cruise consultants on board the Celebrity ships have to call it in to have it manually done.   This also means that it is impossible for you to see them when you look online because booking for 5 passengers in a cabin is not a selectable option on Celebrity's website. However your TA should be able to see it (or see that they are all booked).

On top of that, since there are only 4 of them on S-class, they sell out very quickly.  And since I prefer the Deck 8 FVs over the Deck 7 (meaning I am only interested in two cabins on the entire ship), I usually book them about 2 years in advance to ensure I get the cabin I want on the sailing that I want (sailing as a family usually does not afford us much scheduling flexibility).

If they are all booked, I believe you can waitlist for them.  Also it is worth looking to see if an FV is available right around the final payment deadline in case there is a cancellation.

By the way, the FVs are not just a bit larger than a standard balcony cabin.  Not counting the balcony the FVs on Deck 8 measure in at 618 sq ft (Deck 7 FVs are smaller), so that means they are like 3-4x bigger than a standard balcony cabin.  Still only one standard size bathroom though!

Finally, the only S-class ship where it is correct that the "FVs do not exist" is on Silhouette where they sadly have been re-furnished and recategorized as Sunset Suites. 

image.thumb.jpeg.585f2ef6a23e98bb429c73eab533e756.jpeg

Reflection FV 8107 living room, Jan 4 2019 while Reflection was docked at Port Everglades.  Note the two large windows.

image.thumb.jpeg.2e0705fe61d8f746dff6230f5aa20905.jpeg

Another view of Reflection FV 8107 living room, dining area, and balcony sliding door.

image.thumb.jpeg.9b557139f08fc5a252359fd83ad9480a.jpeg

Reflection FV 8107 master bedroom

image.thumb.jpeg.e16e437a8f32c76bb8403f2eeae171e9.jpeg

Reflection FV 8107 second bedroom.

wow…thanks….that would be amazing since out last cruise was an ocean view lol.  We’re only 4 people though….wife and me, and two boys…having the extra space to spread out would be nice though.

• Like 1

As you look at the deck plans on the Celebrity website noticed that these rooms will be re-classified by the time you are sailing. They won’t be family Verandahs anymore.  So the agent who told you that there is no such thing is looking ahead to where there won’t be.

6 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

As you look at the deck plans on the Celebrity website noticed that these rooms will be re-classified by the time you are sailing. They won’t be family Verandahs anymore.  So the agent who told you that there is no such thing is looking ahead to where there won’t be.

That TA is going to have big problems then because nearly all of the cabins are being recategorized.

Don’t know when you’re sailing. Think you have to be a party of five to able to book initially. In March we had a chance to do a Move Up bid for a FV on the Reflection. We pulled our bid, but for a family with kids would definitely consider it. 

On 5/15/2022 at 6:14 PM, abritinva said:

I booked one on Millenium for August on a big box TA website.

Completely different from the FV on the Solstice class. Had a FV on the Summit for several cruises last summer and fall. Totally spoiled?  Afraid once occupancy picks up booking an FV will become more difficult. 

• 4 months later...

Just wanting to check with those that have sailed in the family verandas, since they are at the front of the ship, how much motion did you experience?  Is it a lot more than the rear?  I am debating between a forward family veranda and an aft veranda. Three adult women and one is susceptible to motion sickness. 

2 hours ago, spotte said:

Just wanting to check with those that have sailed in the family verandas, since they are at the front of the ship, how much motion did you experience?  Is it a lot more than the rear?  I am debating between a forward family veranda and an aft veranda. Three adult women and one is susceptible to motion sickness. 

It's hard to say--and perhaps that is your answer.  We have had FVs up at the bow and FVs at the stern.  I didn't notice any difference in motion, but they were all on different cruises, ships, itineraries, etc.

3 hours ago, spotte said:

Never been in a family veranda, but I have been in the most forward of cabins.  I love that location on the ship, but I do not get seasick, and I actually find the motion, when there is some, very rlaxing.  If when my husband cruises with me, we have to go mid-ship, he gets terrible motion sickness in mid-rough seas.

A lot of this has been said yet I'll provide some more specific info.  If you look up the Millie's 9/30 sailing (in two days) the FV are bookable online and the 5+ person requirement is gone, you can book one as a couple.  This seems this only happens around a week within the sail date.  Otherwise you do need to call in and have the agent add 5+ names which you have to pay for.  On the Millie in Feb I spoke to a couple who originally booked a suite on this sailing but were able to move the booking to a different sailing.  Then the couple rebooked the same sailing themselves but on a now available to book corner FV which has a balcony larger than most suites.  They told me they bought the specialty dining package and still saved around half of the cost of the suite.