Blue Hole for older folks with mobility issues - advice please

Cinderellie

Hello, we are cruising to Bermuda on the 23rd on Celebrity Summit. We are older, with back problems, limited walking. We saw info about the Blue Hole Lagoon, walking there, and then Cafe Ole for the best fish sandwiches. 

Is this really manageable for people with limited mobility? Can we walk into the lagoon easily - no climbing rocks to get in or out?

Is it an easy walk - to there from the bus, and then to the cafe?

We would appreciate any tips you have for us.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

5 hours ago, Cinderellie said:

Is this really manageable for people with limited mobility? Can we walk into the lagoon easily - no climbing rocks to get in or out?

Its a meandering path that starts out as technically paved (but was very uneven and in some disrepair the last time I was there) until you get to a little clearing with a picnic area (which is where the paved path ends) and then down a short flight of stairs to a viewing area. That would be about as close as you could get to it without climbing over things etc. 

5 hours ago, Cinderellie said:

Is it an easy walk - to there from the bus, and then to the cafe?

I don't believe so. I haven't personally been to Cafe Ole but looking at a map it is near the Crystal Caves which I don't believe there is any connection or path through the brush to get there-- so you would have to walk all the way back to your starting point and then down the road past the Swizzle Inn (which would be my choice) and hang a left to get over that way. It will be a considerable amount of walking for someone who is mobility impaired and the sidewalks are not wide on that stretch of road. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Its a meandering path that starts out as technically paved (but was very uneven and in some disrepair the last time I was there) until you get to a little clearing with a picnic area (which is where the paved path ends) and then down a short flight of stairs to a viewing area. That would be about as close as you could get to it without climbing over things etc. 

I don't believe so. I haven't personally been to Cafe Ole but looking at a map it is near the Crystal Caves which I don't believe there is any connection or path through the brush to get there-- so you would have to walk all the way back to your starting point and then down the road past the Swizzle Inn (which would be my choice) and hang a left to get over that way. It will be a considerable amount of walking for someone who is mobility impaired and the sidewalks are not wide on that stretch of road. 

Cafe Ole is the cafe at Crystal Caves. Cafe Ole may be a new name for it but it definitely is the name now of the cafe at Crystal Caves. The fish sandwich there being the “best” is a new thing. Recent. There are a lot of “best” fish sandwiches in Bermuda. Some say Art Mel’s, other say Mama Angie’s or Woody’s. It probably is pretty good. As the cafe is at the caves it is easy to get to the road. That said you are probably correct about it being problematic for someone mobility impaired to walk.  The bus would be best. If they are not going to look at the caves or jump off the cliff (I didn’t just watched) I don’t think I  would go in the reserve if I was mobility impaired. But that’s me. 

If I wanted to try the fish sandwich at Cafe Ole, I would take a bus or taxi to Crystal Caves, then follow up with rum swizzles at the Swizzle Inn. 

Edited by Charles4515

We take a bus to Woody's(on main route and bus drops you right there).  The ocean is right there to view while you eat.  A local brought us to Woody's a few years ago and it is not fancy at all but very good.

1 Booz Island Somerset Village Bermuda

The fish sandwich is one you should try: fried fresh local fish on raisin bread dressed with coleslaw, cheese, tartar sauce, and hot sauce. Sounds odd but we tried it and make it a destination when in Bermuda.

On 5/16/2022 at 12:51 PM, Cinderellie said:

Not really. The walk is not that easy and getting in and out looks difficult.  We were there on our last trip to Bermuda and I forgot my water shoes and did not want to give it a try in bare feet.

For those in good shape it is probably worth the effort.  I think there used to be a tour group that included it as one of their stops.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

For those in good shape it is probably worth the effort.  I think there used to be a tour group that included it as one of their stops.

That would be Hidden Gems. Their tour that includes  Blue Hole is seven hours and is geared to active people. They mentioned cliff jumping and caving. It can be booked at the Island Tour Centre. Cruise lines also offer it as an excursion. When I was looking into it the price was about the same, independent or cruise line. I was thinking of booking it onboard and  using some onboard credit  but the freinds I was cruising with have had some mobility issues. 

Edited by Charles4515