Credit Card Preauthorization - 30 day cruise

cruzin4us

We are going on a 30 day cruise (husband and I) and I need to find out how much Princess is going to Preauthorize on my credit card.

Guests who have a credit card on file for their shipboard account, an authorization hold of $100 is placed on the credit card to ensure validity of the account. While you are on board, your daily charges will be authorized at close of business each day with your card provider. These authorizations can remain on your card for up to 30 days. Due to this, on extended voyages (in excess of 30 days) your credit card on file will need to be settled at or before the 30-day mark as a result of this authorization timing limit. Following this mid-voyage settlement, a new authorization will be placed on your credit card on file and be settled again at the end of your voyage. 3rd party credit cards will not be accepted for charges on board since the cardholder needs to sign for the charges.

Can someone please tell me if this would be $3,000 preauthorization (per cabin) or $3,000 (per person) on a 30 day cruise.   The dingbat on the Princess "chat" is still trying to figure it out after 20 min.......LOL

15 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

We are going on a 30 day cruise (husband and I) and I need to find out how much Princess is going to Preauthorize on my credit card

Can someone please tell me if this would be $3,000 preauthorization (per cabin) or $3,000 (per person) on a 30 day cruise.   The dingbat on the Princess "chat" is still trying to figure it out after 20 min.......LOL

They don't put $3000 on your card on day one, just the $100.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

It's not $100 per day, just $100 plus your daily charges.  Since your voyage is 30 days the second part does not apply to you.  I've never had $100/day applied to my card.  I could easily be wrong and just have never looked before Princess deleted the charge.  

Edited by suekel
added info

Thanks everyone!     We have the Princess Plus (or whatever you. call it now) so I don't see us charging much, but I sure didn't want to tie up $6k on my cc.   Excursions/spa/Specialty Dining were all ready booked and paid for.....and I don't buy photos 🙂

I've never seen a lump-sum hold like that before from Princess; they usually throw a pending charge equal to the actual balance from a few days prior, for me. Somewhat annoying as it still eats up a decent chunk of my credit line until it drops off. 

Though I did accidentally sidestep that process on my current voyage by forgetting I used a debit card that has since been disabled... So I just get a notification every day that my DC has rejected a transaction instead.