What is the difference?

Having had a ship changed on us next year, we’re looking at an alternative in Brilliance of the Seas in the Med.

Trying to choose a balcony cabin and deck 8 looks ok - I have a question that I can’t seem to find the answer for anywhere and hoping one of you can help please? 

Why is a cabin with a star (which I know indicates up to 4 people can stay in it) so much cheaper than one without?

DA1BEAEE-8B00-43A4-B3FC-052AF34C6F0F.thumb.jpeg.8d9932addc6cad6041206c602ca47027.jpeg
9B637E9D-647A-40E9-A1BD-C2F6706C99F7.thumb.jpeg.96cd6637ce691f779eb62818e3b6c948.jpeg

Edited by misslottie
Spelling

No idea, but maybe because they anticipate more people in the room. Maybe they've changed the pricing structure from third and fourth passenger cheaper to all four slightly cheaper.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, misslottie said:

Having had a ship changed on us next year, we’re looking at an alternative in Brilliance of the Seas in the Med.

Trying to choose a balcony cabin and deck 8 looks ok - I have a question that I can’t seem to find the answer for anywhere and hoping one of you can help please? 

Why is a cabin with a star (which I know indicates up to 4 people can stay in it) so much cheaper than one without?

DA1BEAEE-8B00-43A4-B3FC-052AF34C6F0F.thumb.jpeg.8d9932addc6cad6041206c602ca47027.jpeg
9B637E9D-647A-40E9-A1BD-C2F6706C99F7.thumb.jpeg.96cd6637ce691f779eb62818e3b6c948.jpeg

I didnt look at the entire map but is it ALL of that type/category or did you stumble upon the difference between aft and midship?

Here's a video of cabin 8528:  

The note attached to cabin 8528 on cruisedeckplans.com says (if this helps any): 

- Two twin beds that convert to queen-size (72.5 by 82 inches)
- private balcony
- sitting area
- private bathroom with shower
- vanity area
- minibar
- television
- safe
- radio
- phone
- hairdryer

Staterooms 7064, 7066, 7142, 7564, 7506, 8058, 8060, 8558, 8560, 8162, 8164, 8662 & 8664 have partially obstructed views. Some balcony sizes are as small as 27 square feet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be cautious booking a cabin for more guests than you actually have booked in the cabin. Traveled with friends that had their cabin changed, so a family unit could have a cabin on ship, and they were moved to another cabin, in an area where they were not very happy. No OBC. Just moved. They were told it is the cruise lines right and it was in the fine print of the cruise contract. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

I didnt look at the entire map but is it ALL of that type/category or did you stumble upon the difference between aft and midship?

It seems any with the stars on are lower.

For some reason the potential for 4 people are the lower price, 2 person only cabins are the higher price. As cruise1957 suggests, it looks like they’re cheaper as they can accommodate more people and rather than the old way of offering 3rd and 4th persons at a reduced % price, now the price is just lower. Odd!

I can’t see that there’s any downside to the cheaper rooms but I’m still suspicious! 

2 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

Be cautious booking a cabin for more guests than you actually have booked in the cabin. Traveled with friends that had their cabin changed, so a family unit could have a cabin on ship, and they were moved to another cabin, in an area where they were not very happy. No OBC. Just moved. They were told it is the cruise lines right and it was in the fine print of the cruise contract. 

That helps massively, thank you! We are very picky about making sure we aren’t under public areas so maybe it’s worth the extra for a 2 person cabin knowing they won’t bump us for a family.

We splurged on a grand suite on Harmony last year for our honeymoon so this will be a bump back to earth anyway 😊

On 5/17/2022 at 6:37 PM, sandy toes said:

Does this mean that a couple in a JS or higher is always at risk to be moved, or does this only apply to balcony and lower?

22 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Does this mean that a couple in a JS or higher is always at risk to be moved, or does this only apply to balcony and lower?

I think it is an issue for people that are say, 2 in a party and they book a cabin that specifies it is for 3 or 4, etc.  In that case you could be moved to  cabin (supposed to be same category/equal value) for the amount of people actually on the reservation.  But, just because you are moved to an equal value/same category doesn't mean you will like the placement.