Arcadia - Any ideas what she's up to?

Son of Anarchy

15 hours ago, Britboys said:

They have some sailings out of Newcastle, Liverpool and Dundee next summer.(Edit - just seen the other posts mentioning this...)

Thanks for mentioning the Dundee sailing. I have just had a look and they have some interesting trips. 

The free match day tickets for Essex cricket ground are just a little random for sailings from Scotland but heyho someone may appreciate them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks for mentioning the Dundee sailing. I have just had a look and they have some interesting trips. 

The free match day tickets for Essex cricket ground are just a little random for sailings from Scotland but heyho someone may appreciate them.

Yes, the free Cricket tickets is a rather odd offer. I suppose they are trying to build relationships with local companies and communities, with their Head Office being in Essex.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zap99 said:

On a good day, about an hour and a half for us. Not too much more than Southampton. We have booked another cruise for August. This time from Portsmouth on wight link.🤣

Love IOW - last time stayed at the best western in Gurnard - lovely.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Stifford Hall Hotel seems quite popular and is pretty close to the port. There are also three Premier Inns in Southend. Two on the seafront and one at the airport.

Stifford Hall is a motel type hotel.  The rooms are in blocks at the rear of the old hall.  It is a former Park Inn. I use it regularly for one night stays as its opposite the church in North Stifford where I was married and most of my family are buried in the churchyard so I go to do maintenance.  It's okay, the upgraded rooms were done by Park Inn but the advertising pictures are to say the least misleading - the actual hall bedrooms are not used and the last time I can recall them being bedrooms was 18 years ago when they were very sad.

If you're looking for something better Orsett Hall or The Bell at Horndon on the Hill are far superior.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Stifford Hall is a motel type hotel.  The rooms are in blocks at the rear of the old hall.  It is a former Park Inn. I use it regularly for one night stays as its opposite the church in North Stifford where I was married and most of my family are buried in the churchyard so I go to do maintenance.  It's okay, the upgraded rooms were done by Park Inn but the advertising pictures are to say the least misleading - the actual hall bedrooms are not used and the last time I can recall them being bedrooms was 18 years ago when they were very sad.

If you're looking for something better Orsett Hall or The Bell at Horndon on the Hill are far superior.  

That’s bringing back some memories. In the 70s I remember going to Stifford Hall for family get together meals, and one of my friends got married in North Stifford church. When my husband and I first started going out we’d often go to the Bell at Horndon for a drink. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2022 at 3:29 PM, terrierjohn said:

But you cant really expect any cruise ship operator to give advance notice of any sale, its just not practical business sense, and deleterious to their cash flow

I would disagree with that,unless you are assuming that people would expect a cruise ship that is run down,worn out,ready for a beach 'holiday',etc,it surely would give fans of any departing cruise ship a chance to have a last fling on her & is likely to sell pretty well.

As it is P&O have us fearing the worst & seeing them in a pretty poor light,surely THAT is going to hit future cruise sales even more,sounds like people have had a bellyful of cancellations & uncertainty over refunds,thoughts of going through all that again is bound to put people off booking with then.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, paulatsea said:

That’s where I am heading  - heard some very good reports about ambassador.

Booked (rebooked actually - 3rd attempt) on Arcadia for this Christmas - but I honestly don’t care if it’s cancelled now.
Been messed around too much and never get any reply from customer services.

(2 cruises cancelled at short notice)

While not sticking up for P and O, and yes there customer service is appalling at times and are not covering themselves in glory I would not be trusting of Ambassador either , there previous track record is even worse under CMV, and it is the same people running this new venture, I doubt some of the good reports of them will  be from the numerous  previous customer's and business's who are still owed money or went bust because of them

43 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

While not sticking up for P and O, and yes there customer service is appalling at times and are not covering themselves in glory I would not be trusting of Ambassador either , there previous track record is even worse under CMV, and it is the same people running this new venture, I doubt some of the good reports of them will  be from the numerous  previous customer's and business's who are still owed money or went bust because of them

The CMV bankruptcy was complicated in that all the ships then were leased from a company called Global Maritime and so CMV didn't have the final say. From the facecloth group I have seen the positive recent feedback on, many are indeed previous customers of CMV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Arcadia looked amazing when we went to see her.

Celebrations for us in Sunderland today.😃

IMG_20220520_103510.jpg

Well her time in Brest obviously did wonders for her externally,pity that her first cruise back seems to indicate that internally they didn't do such a great job!

congrats to Sunderland!👍👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, snaefell said:

I would disagree with that,unless you are assuming that people would expect a cruise ship that is run down,worn out,ready for a beach 'holiday',etc,it surely would give fans of any departing cruise ship a chance to have a last fling on her & is likely to sell pretty well.

As it is P&O have us fearing the worst & seeing them in a pretty poor light,surely THAT is going to hit future cruise sales even more,sounds like people have had a bellyful of cancellations & uncertainty over refunds,thoughts of going through all that again is bound to put people off booking with then.

Most cruise lines now are selling cruises up to 2-3 years in advance, so if a good offer comes in to buy an older vessel they will want to secure it ASAP, leaving it unable to complete all the existing bookings, never mind offer a final cruise to all those wanting to wish it a fond farewell.

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

The CMV bankruptcy was complicated in that all the ships then were leased from a company called Global Maritime and so CMV didn't have the final say. From the facecloth group I have seen the positive recent feedback on, many are indeed previous customers of CMV.

Thanks for the welcome clarification Britboys, my original posting alluded to the many previous passengers who lost their money  with no chance of getting it back ,I'm sure the people who are re booking or are lauding the new company will be people who do not fall into that category

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Most cruise lines now are selling cruises up to 2-3 years in advance, so if a good offer comes in to buy an older vessel they will want to secure it ASAP, leaving it unable to complete all the existing bookings, never mind offer a final cruise to all those wanting to wish it a fond farewell.

Fully understand that but some reassurance that the holiday will go ahead in some form or other surely would be a good thing,at present the uncertainty over her future can't be a good selling point.

They can't do that can they.  Nobody would book cruises.  So until something happens, like it did to us twice, Adonia and Oriana, your cruise remains booked and if they sell a ship, then you are offered an alternative or a refund.

Changed days then I fear.

Our first cruise with P&O was on the Artemis back in 2007. (21 nights round the Med with a stop in Libya of all places). We did a follow-up repositioning cruise on her in 2009 I recall.

P&O announced that they were selling Artemis and advertised a farewell cruise in 2011. I believe that sold out within 3 or 4 hours.

We were lucky enough to bag a cabin on that cruise and had a great time. Some of the new owners (Phoenix Riesen) joined that cruise towards the end. Essentially planning how they were going to refit the ship.

We were told on the quiet that everything was being scrapped by the new owners, so any P&O branded merchandise was almost being given away near the end of the cruise. I think we picked up 2 dressing gowns for £5 IIRC.

If P&O are considering selling Arcadia or Aurora then they could turn it into an advantage by running cruises with a final "Farewell" cruise like they did with Artemis. I'm sure some would pay a premium to be on that final cruise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Our first cruise with P&O was on the Artemis back in 2007. (21 nights round the Med with a stop in Libya of all places). We did a follow-up repositioning cruise on her in 2009 I recall.

P&O announced that they were selling Artemis and advertised a farewell cruise in 2011. I believe that sold out within 3 or 4 hours.

We were lucky enough to bag a cabin on that cruise and had a great time. Some of the new owners (Phoenix Riesen) joined that cruise towards the end. Essentially planning how they were going to refit the ship.

We were told on the quiet that everything was being scrapped by the new owners, so any P&O branded merchandise was almost being given away near the end of the cruise. I think we picked up 2 dressing gowns for £5 IIRC.

If P&O are considering selling Arcadia or Aurora then they could turn it into an advantage by running cruises with a final "Farewell" cruise like they did with Artemis. I'm sure some would pay a premium to be on that final cruise.

Ocean Village did this and had a final cruise from Spain to Australia one way - to the new owners - unfortunately I was working then so couldn’t go on it but it sold out within about 1 day.

great value as well.

11 minutes ago, arlowood said:

But that would entail changing an existing cruise with existing bookings being cancelled. Which I would guess would be a very negative PR action.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:16 PM, terrierjohn said:

I guess Tilbury is difficult for everyone except Londoners, and the poor souls who live in Essex.

If driving on the day, it's about 20 minutes from the M25. 

Direct train service from Fenchurch Street to Tilbury Town, then an included bus service to the terminal, or a cab ride that's shorter than Southampton

Not much about nearby if wanting to stay the night before though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Don't think they did that with either Adonia or Oriana from memory.

Or Oceana. I had a cruise on her cancelled when she was sold and as far as I can remember the timescale between the sale being announced and her going was fairly short.

• Like 2