Venice bus station to train station

demmy10

Staying in Venice pre-cruise, will be staying in hotel near Piazzale Roma, but then travelling by train to Trieste cruise port.

Can anyone advise the best/easiest way to get from Piazzale Roma to Santa Lucia train station with luggage.

thanks.

As far as I'm aware there is really only one way to get from Piazzale Roma to the Santa Lucia train station -- and that is by walking across the Calatrava bridge. You can see it in the map below:

Map of Piazzale Roma with hotels

This modern bridge (stark contrast to all of Venice's ancient ones) is long, as it crosses one of the widest canals, but the steps are fairly shallow. If you have a roller bag it's not too difficult to manage it. Here's an actual photo:

Hotel Santa Chiara, Venice

Perhaps it's possible to take a vaporetto one stop (?), but I think the hassle of doing that is about the same.

And here's a live web camera of the bridge.  If you watch it long enough, you'll see people getting their luggage across it.  I took a large wheeled bag and a smaller bag across when I took the train out of Venice.  I carried the bags rather than to try and roll it up and down the steps.  But if you watch long enough, you will see some people pull them up the steps behind them.  As cruisemom42 says above, the steps are wider than average and as you can see they are never steep.  But only you can decide if you can get your bags across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ZcGBt-fNc

The train station is not too far on the other side of the brown building on the top of the video.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 10:21 AM, MeHeartCruising said:

And here's a live web camera of the bridge.  If you watch it long enough, you'll see people getting their luggage across it.  I took a large wheeled bag and a smaller bag across when I took the train out of Venice.  I carried the bags rather than to try and roll it up and down the steps.  But if you watch long enough, you will see some people pull them up the steps behind them.  As cruisemom42 says above, the steps are wider than average and as you can see they are never steep.  But only you can decide if you can get your bags across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ZcGBt-fNc

The train station is not too far on the other side of the brown building on the top of the video.

This is great thanks! We are staying at Ca"Doge and it looks to be an easy walk across the bridge to the train station. Of course the heat will suck, but oh well.

8 minutes ago, KarimaJ said:

This is great thanks! We are staying at Ca"Doge and it looks to be an easy walk across the bridge to the train station. Of course the heat will suck, but oh well.

I was also staying at Ca’Doge.  I did a “test run” without luggage the day before I left just to learn anything that would help.  I discovered a ramp entry way to the side of the front entrance of the train station that helped avoid some steps.  As long as you’re  able to decently manage your bags, it’s not that difficult of a trip.  Have fun. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I discovered a ramp entry way to the side of the front entrance of the train station that helped avoid some steps.

This is worth emphasizing. For anyone arriving at the train station from the front (e.g., from a vaporetto) with luggage, look for the ramp -- on the left side if I remember correctly -- as there are quite a few steps in front that are no fun to drag one's luggage up.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:32 AM, cruisemom42 said:

This modern bridge (stark contrast to all of Venice's ancient ones) is long, as it crosses one of the widest canals, but the steps are fairly shallow.

Indeed, the bridge is quite easy to negotiate when dry - if it rains the glass panels turn into little skating rinks 😨

We stayed in Cannaregio on our last trip, had the tail end of a 24 hour pass for the vaporetto to get us to Piazzale Roma (to pick up rental car) but got off 1 stop too soon and had to cross the bridge...it was wet and rather treacherous 😞

No one died but every time I see that bridge I cannot help but think of the one Calatrava designed for my home town at a rather exorbitant cost😒

• Like 1