Question about Specialty Dining (Sabatini's/Crown Grill) that are closed or open every other day - RUBY

cruzin4us

We are able to book Specialty Dining and have chosen to eat there every sea day.    That being said, we prefer Sabatini's over Crown Grill.   I've seen mention that many of the ships are either closing Sabatini's and/or alternating every other night with Crown Grill due to staff shortage.    

So, for those of you that have been or currently are on the Ruby, how is this working?

If we make a reservation for Sabatini's and it's closed on Tuesday, do they automatically switch us to Crown Grill and vice versa?  Or, is your reservation simply cancelled?

When we were on the Ruby in January, Crown Grill booked up well in advance and Sabatini’s was rarely open. The Medallion App allowed us to make a reservation, but when we went to Sabatini’s, it was closed. ☹️ Just another glitch in the App. We checked with Crown Grill, and there was a waiting list. My recommendation is to book as early as possible on line and print out a copy of your reservation. 

11 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

When we were on the Ruby in January, Crown Grill booked up well in advance and Sabatini’s was rarely open. The Medallion App allowed us to make a reservation, but when we went to Sabatini’s, it was closed. ☹️ Just another glitch in the App. We checked with Crown Grill, and there was a waiting list. My recommendation is to book as early as possible on line and print out a copy of your reservation. 

I have been able to make reservations for both CG & Sabatinis.....the problem is I have 5 Sabatini's and 2 CG's.    If Sabatini's is close the entire voyage then I will change to CG but it wouldn't be my first choice.    Argh......

1 hour ago, tcdcruiser said:

Writing from Skywalkers aboard the Ruby.  Speciality restaurants are alternating on this cruise. Ship pax load is only about 2000 so while disappointing it is understandable. 

Do you happen to know what happens if you make a reservation at Sabatini's for Monday but they are closed?   Do they automatically just transfer you to CG?    What a f'ing nightmare.   I get them closing due to staffing issues, but why let me book online and charge my credit card?   

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Do you happen to know what happens if you make a reservation at Sabatini's for Monday but they are closed?   Do they automatically just transfer you to CG?    What a f'ing nightmare.   I get them closing due to staffing issues, but why let me book online and charge my credit card?   

No, they don’t transfer your reservation. All you may get is an apology. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My experience was I was unable to book Sabatini’s via app on a closed date.  Visited the Sabatini’s desk and asked, but was informed they were closed on my preferred date.  That’s when I realised that speciality dining had reduced open days. Sabatini’s offered another date and I accepted. 

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Murphy's Law will be I picked the days it's closed......LOL.   Anyone wanna bet?

And they cannot really switch people well as (1) they may not want the other one that is open, and (2) the open one could be booked up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question.  Does anyone have the menu for CG?  I am trying to see what they charge for each item.  I just found out that my complimentary specialty restaurant reservation on booking is really "Specialty Restaurant Cover Charge"!  When I booked and it said complimentary, I thought that I could have a meal there free.  But now after reading another thread, I find this is not the case?  But if I choose to want to try the CG I thought maybe if I see the menu.....

Crown Grill = $29 (surf and turf add $10).  I have never had to order a second entree since there is more than enough to overfeed me.

Not to miss:  Black and Blue Onion soup.  Lamb Chops.  Tiger Prawns with a hint of Papaya.  Sure do miss the lemon meringue desert aka sampler.

Sabatini's = $25