Flight Ease Questions

Roz

I've spent hours pouring over travel and airline websites trying to find the best flight for my South America cruise next March.  I need a one-way flight from Nashville to Buenos Aires with only one stop.  

I've never used HAL's Flight Ease but I started there.  Economy seats are in the $593 - $727 range, Premium Economy is $922 - $1,050, and Business is $2,425 - $2,345 😲.  I've seen posts here on CC where people said they got Business class seats thru Flight Ease for about the same price as Economy.  Where are they finding these fares?  

I'm going with Premium Economy.  When I priced the flight on United's website, it was about $40 more, so not a whole lot of savings.  Before I book with Flight Ease, I want to know what this means on the HAL website:

Prices and availability are not guaranteed until the cruise and air booking are paid in full. 

Does that mean the fare can go up until Dec. 10 when final payment is due?  Or that I may not even have a seat when I make final payment?   If either of these is the case, why would someone risk booking with Flight Ease?  Color me confused. 🤪  Should I just book directly with United?

Any first hand experiences with Flight Ease are appreciated.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I've spent hours pouring over travel and airline websites trying to find the best flight for my South America cruise next March.  I need a one-way flight from Nashville to Buenos Aires with only one stop.  

I've never used HAL's Flight Ease but I started there.  Economy seats are in the $593 - $727 range, Premium Economy is $922 - $1,050, and Business is $2,425 - $2,345 😲.  I've seen posts here on CC where people said they got Business class seats thru Flight Ease for about the same price as Economy.  Where are they finding these fares?  

I'm going with Premium Economy.  When I priced the flight on United's website, it was about $40 more, so not a whole lot of savings.  Before I book with Flight Ease, I want to know what this means on the HAL website:

Prices and availability are not guaranteed until the cruise and air booking are paid in full. 

Does that mean the fare can go up until Dec. 10 when final payment is due?  Or that I may not even have a seat when I make final payment?   If either of these is the case, why would someone risk booking with Flight Ease?  Color me confused. 🤪  Should I just book directly with United?

Any first hand experiences with Flight Ease are appreciated.

For a savings of only $40 I would book directly with the airline website. When we booked our business class fares to Amsterdam using Flight Ease, on United by the way, United's site was $3600 per person. Flight Ease was $1700 and some change. That is a savings that is worth it.  However we did have issues. Our reservations disappeared at the 30 day out mark due to HAL's failure to pay for them. The only reason I knew was that I OCD over this stuff and saw the seats we chose for our flights available.  Fortunately for me we have an excellent and very responsive PCC. She responded to my email within an hour and within 2 hours the situation was handled. I have seen other posters who have had issues with Flight Ease also. 

• Like 4

Roz, there was a time when the prices were much better with one way air on Flight Ease, in recent months it has changed drastically with little to no price difference. Depending on how far out the cruise is depends on if it is worth the booking with HAL. Booking Flex Air with HAL the price will not change but  you may or may not be able to select your seat, (this is becoming more and more common) with any airline if you book directly or with HAL, flights are changing frequently. In the past there would be flight time changes but now there are just plain cancellations. While these changes are happening the flight may dissappear from the sign-on to the airline. There was a time when HAL often would pay and ticket the air tickets before you even paid final especially if they were Business or First Class. That is not happening very often now, what is happening is they are set to be paid and ticketed at the 30 day mark but HAL's Flight Ease/Princess EZ Air (same office/same people working it) are running behind. Don't be alarmed if your flight does disappears but keep watching it. If after 5 days it does not reappear then you do need to try to contact Flight Ease but plan on a 4+ hour hold time. Then keep watching it all the way up to when you leave.  

• Like 2

@LAFFNVEGAS, thank you.  As always, you're a wealth of information.  I'm inclined to just book directly with United and be done with it. 

Some of the routings I found were really crazy.  For example, fly to Dulles Airport, spend 11+ hrs. there, fly to Panama City, and then to Buenos Aires.  

• Like 1

I booked my flight on flight ease to Buenos Aires from DFW for March 2023 with American Airlines in business class. We paid about $1600 and if we had booked direct through AA website, it would have been about $2400.  We have friends that are also going on this cruise and live in San Antonio.  They booked direct through AA and fly to DFW and are on our flight.  They paid $1300  for Business Class.  I just looked at what their flight would cost to book today and it is $9800!  Prices are all over the place. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roz said:

@mfanderso, I can't believe how much more they're charging me to fly from Nashville rather than a large city like Dallas.

Keep your eye on the prices.  They may come down, but from when we booked ours a few weeks ago it has done nothing but go up.   These flights are being snatched up pretty quickly.  On our flight, the front part of Business Class was almost full when we booked.

• Like 2

It's really a crap shoot - book now or wait.  I'm inclined to book now as the Premium Economy fare is an amt. I can live with. 

There's a lot of pent up travel demand.  

• Like 1

I booked mine and it is currently high but the price of a barrel of oil is now at $112.   It has a major impact.  I always buy a flight ASAP then watch prices closely to change.   Flights to Argentina have always been on the high side.  BTW my current business class flight to Dallas to BA is right around $2500 per person so it is not just Nashville. 

• Like 1

Our cruise in August is the first time we ever used FlightEase; previously we booked our flights directly with the airlines.  The reason why is the uncertainty of covid.  We wanted to be able to cancel the cruise, including the airfare, up until final payment.  You can't do that if you book directly with the airlines.  Even after that, if HAL would cancel the cruise, which they have done lately, we would get the airfare back directly from HAL.  Our business class flights to Europe were also about $500 per person cheaper through FlightEase than directly with the airline (right now, the airline prices have gone up and it is $1000 cheaper).  In addition, we were able to rebook our flights several months ago and get a better deal, since the price was lower.  Again, you are not locked in until final payment.

The big negative is the FlightEase website which is incredibly bad.  Most times that I go in to check if there are any better/cheaper flights, I get an error message and cannot see anything.  Everyone has the same problem and I don't understand why HAL can't get this fixed.  I am also a bit concerned that our flights will disappear in the FlightEase system which has also happened to an alarming number of people lately.

• Like 2

3 years ago we used Flightease for our Amsterdam business class RT trips.  Price was quite good and not paying until final payment was a huge incentive.  

I have attempted to check prices for future travel plans since then and routinely get error messages.  When I am able to get options, the flights are far less desirable and the price not a good deal.

Based on what I am reading with flights vanishing coupled with the inadequate website and less competitive pricing, I will book directly with the airline.

• Like 1

I've always been a fan of using Flight Ease Flexible Fares because I can defer payment and change or cancel the flights up to around the time of the cruise final payment date. Plus, if HAL cancels the cruise I'm not stuck with airline flight credits. 

This time I'm looking at the Flight Ease Restricted Fares because of a good itinerary offered. My question is, if I book a Restricted Fare and later voluntarily cancel the cruise and/or the flights (not related to HAL's COVID-19 Protection Plan or Cancellation Protection Plans) does HAL issue an FCC for the value of the Restricted Fare, or are those funds completely forfeit?

4 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

I've always been a fan of using Flight Ease Flexible Fares because I can defer payment and change or cancel the flights up to around the time of the cruise final payment date. Plus, if HAL cancels the cruise I'm not stuck with airline flight credits. 

This time I'm looking at the Flight Ease Restricted Fares because of a good itinerary offered. My question is, if I book a Restricted Fare and later voluntarily cancel the cruise and/or the flights (not related to HAL's COVID-19 Protection Plan or Cancellation Protection Plans) does HAL issue an FCC for the value of the Restricted Fare, or are those funds completely forfeit?

If you purchase restricted fares and HAL cancels your cruise or you cancel you are out of luck, it is NON-Refundable. You have to pay restricted up front and it goes directly to the airline although you are paying through HAL. As a side note HAL also will not help you with flight changes or last minute flight cancellations on restricted fares, you are totally on your own but my understanding HAL is not doing that or at least not doing a very good job of doing it if you have Flexible Fares.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

If you purchase restricted fares and HAL cancels your cruise or you cancel you are out of luck, it is NON-Refundable. You have to pay restricted up front and it goes directly to the airline although you are paying through HAL. As a side note HAL also will not help you with flight changes or last minute flight cancellations on restricted fares, you are totally on your own but my understanding HAL is not doing that or at least not doing a very good job of doing it if you have Flexible Fares.

First, you said that "If you purchase restricted fares and HAL cancels your cruise....you are out of luck..."  Obviously, that is not correct; if you pay for something and they do not deliver then they must provide a cash refund (not FCC).  It is only if you cancel, that you are out of luck.  But even that is not completely correct, at least recently with covid; we canceled two non-refundable cruises and used the deposit for a future cruise.

Furthermore, I have never read in the HAL policies or heard on CC that purchasing refundable cruise fares has anything to do with FlightEase.  I believe HAL gives equal help with flights that are changed or cancelled by the airlines.  Now our cruise this summer is the first one we are using FlightEase, so I am not an expert;  can other people confirm or deny this.

2 hours ago, Torquer said:

First, you said that "If you purchase restricted fares and HAL cancels your cruise....you are out of luck..."  Obviously, that is not correct; if you pay for something and they do not deliver then they must provide a cash refund (not FCC).  It is only if you cancel, that you are out of luck.  But even that is not completely correct, at least recently with covid; we canceled two non-refundable cruises and used the deposit for a future cruise.

Furthermore, I have never read in the HAL policies or heard on CC that purchasing refundable cruise fares has anything to do with FlightEase.  I believe HAL gives equal help with flights that are changed or cancelled by the airlines.  Now our cruise this summer is the first one we are using FlightEase, so I am not an expert;  can other people confirm or deny this.

I think you need to try booking a restricted fare.....you will have to attest to the fact that you are purchasing a totally NON-Refundable Fare. When booking it you are paying for it right away. Yes they do give equal help if you reserve flex fare. But you need to read the requirements for Restricted Air. 

Only the Air Carrier may give credit for cancellations. 

WHAT ARE FLEXIBLE FARES AND RESTRICTED FARES?

We've negotiated new, lower competitive air fares.
Many times, you'll find our Exclusive flexible fares are even lower than our Restricted fares and include these great benefits:
  • Full payment for air reservation is required at the time of air booking. Prices and availability are not guaranteed until the air booking is paid in full.
  • Tickets are nonrefundable. Any changes will result in the cancellation of the air booking.
  • Cancellation of Restricted Air will incur cancellation fees of the full cost of the ticket. The air carrier may generate a Future Air Credit (FAC) memo. FACs are notations in the booking that show the guest has an outstanding credit with the cancelled airline which can be applied to a future Holland America Line air booking with the same airline or redeemed directly with the airline, typically within 365 days. FACs are non-transferable and non-refundable.
  • Tickets are nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.
  • Prices are for e-tickets, per person, and include all flight taxes and fees.
  • Prices do not include baggage fees or other fees of up to $200 for the first or second checked bag. Please contact the airline for further details.
  • After ticketed departure time, no changes are permitted and ticket has no value if the ticketed flight reservation was not cancelled prior to flight time.
  • Documentation including passport and visas may be necessary for this trip.
  • Reconfirming flights prior to flight time is the responsibility of the guest.
  • Cancelling your cruise/Land + Sea Journey booking for any reason will cancel any air bookings associated with the cruise/Land + Sea Journey booking, and fees will be applied if applicable.
Benefits Flexible Restricted
Pay Later
Book now, pay for flights when your final cruise payment is due.
Included  
No Change Fee
There is no fee to change a flight prior to cruise final payment.
Included  
Full Refund
No fees for cancellations made prior to cruise final payment.
Included  
Pay Now
Flights are paid at time of flight booking.
  Included
Non-Refundable
Tickets are non-refundable.
  Included
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:07 AM, westcoastcruiser said:

I have attempted to check prices for future travel plans since then and routinely get error messages.  When I am able to get options, the flights are far less desirable and the price not a good deal.

The trick I use to see available flights and check prices is to be very slow to click between screens, specifically after I click the green Begin Box and before I click the blue Book & Manage Flights box.  If I click the Book & Manage Flights box too quickly after getting to that page I get the red error message.

I booked with FlightEase and got a better rate than if I'd booked directly with the airline.  Also my flight is covered by my cancel for any reason insurance.

BUT I can't figure out how to get into Flight Ease to look at my seat assignments and such (the Delta website doesn't seem to be working today).  When I go into Flight Ease I see options for booking new  flights only.  This is a stupid question, I suppose, but I am tired of going back and forth trying to figure things out,

Thanks so much!

Linda

25 minutes ago, Lindancer said:

I booked with FlightEase and got a better rate than if I'd booked directly with the airline.  Also my flight is covered by my cancel for any reason insurance.

BUT I can't figure out how to get into Flight Ease to look at my seat assignments and such (the Delta website doesn't seem to be working today).  When I go into Flight Ease I see options for booking new  flights only.  This is a stupid question, I suppose, but I am tired of going back and forth trying to figure things out,

Thanks so much!

Linda

I was able to book my seats at time of booking for my flights but that was on United. Delta is apparently different. Since I entered my frequent flyer number for United my booking showed up in my United app. This allowed me to follow and manage the reservation including changing seats as we had to do as there was an aircraft change. If you can I would highly recommend you check on your reservation on Delta several times a week as there have been numerous flight cancelations, time changes and aircraft changes lately and Flight Ease is clueless about them. 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Laminator said:

I was able to book my seats at time of booking for my flights but that was on United. Delta is apparently different. Since I entered my frequent flyer number for United my booking showed up in my United app. This allowed me to follow and manage the reservation including changing seats as we had to do as there was an aircraft change. If you can I would highly recommend you check on your reservation on Delta several times a week as there have been numerous flight cancelations, time changes and aircraft changes lately and Flight Ease is clueless about them. 

Delta did notify me of a (one-minute) time change, but it also showed my assigned seats.  They did not look like what I requested at time of booking.  I have an email into my PCC at Holland America and hope I don't get a runaround from her.  

10 minutes ago, Lindancer said:

Delta did notify me of a (one-minute) time change, but it also showed my assigned seats.  They did not look like what I requested at time of booking.  I have an email into my PCC at Holland America and hope I don't get a runaround from her.  

Your PCC is critical here. My United reservation dropped due to HAL's failure to pay at the 30 day out mark. Fortunately I have a great PC that responded within an hour of my email and had the situation rectified within 2 hours of my email. Had I not been checking I would have been screwed as they were only 2 business class seats left on our original flight. I can not reiterate enough that you have to keep checking your flights with the airline site. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laminator said:

Your PCC is critical here. My United reservation dropped due to HAL's failure to pay at the 30 day out mark. Fortunately I have a great PC that responded within an hour of my email and had the situation rectified within 2 hours of my email. Had I not been checking I would have been screwed as they were only 2 business class seats left on our original flight. I can not reiterate enough that you have to keep checking your flights with the airline site. 

How do they forget to pay?  Too bad they don’t forget to charge.  I have westjet flights for my next cruise.  It’s been my experience that you  can’t even pull them up on westjet until they’ve been paid by Hal so I have a long wait.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

How do they forget to pay?  Too bad they don’t forget to charge.  I have westjet flights for my next cruise.  It’s been my experience that you  can’t even pull them up on westjet until they’ve been paid by Hal so I have a long wait.

From what I am reading here lately it seems like the non payment situation is happening more and more. And it appears the issue arises at the 30 day mark. I am not familiar with WestJet but I realized there was an issue when I saw the seats that I chose on my flights became available. Then i checked and found my reservations for the flights were gone from my United account. If you were able to choose seats that is how I would check. If you see those seats available you are probably going to have to jump through some hoops. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Laminator said:

From what I am reading here lately it seems like the non payment situation is happening more and more. And it appears the issue arises at the 30 day mark. I am not familiar with WestJet but I realized there was an issue when I saw the seats that I chose on my flights became available. Then i checked and found my reservations for the flights were gone from my United account. If you were able to choose seats that is how I would check. If you see those seats available you are probably going to have to jump through some hoops. 

But that doesn’t answer the question.  Is it the airline or hal messing up? I’m not a hal cheerleader by any stretch of the imagination but I’m not just going to assume they forgot to pay based on what others are saying.  Is it hal or the airlines in each case?  I’d like to hear that straight from hal or at least an explanation.  I’ve been waiting for a credit of miles from westjet since November.  My query is still listed as open.  If they can’t credit miles I’d be much more inclined to believe it’s an airline problem.  Crediting miles should be easy to resolve.