I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Cruise Cat

OMG Sand, I have been on a business trip in Chicago in the dead of winter, and if you still love running outside, then I am with you!! Your description of running in the winter was awesome!!

I have read online to wear wicking material.... I am not sure what this is, is that cold gear or something similiar? I had to drive about 100 miles to find a running store for my running shoes so I am planning to go to a sporting goods store. Strange here in CT the Hartford Marathon gets a huge draw yet we have very few running stores.

I compete in ballroom dance and as a result have very strong ankles, calves. Yet I knew it the first time I ran in my new balance sneakers that I was in the wrong shoe and got fitted for a running shoe that I love. I am however thinking I will wear the New Balance sneaks on the beach so not to ruin my running shoes... A lot of people say to run barefoot on the beach but I dont think I am up to that quite yet. That aside, I am so excited to try a beach run, close to the water where the sand is not so soft!!

Thanks for your help.

Smoothdancer, I have read about your competitions and have seen some of your pictures. Congratulations on all your accomplishments. The pictures and your dresses are beautiful.

Clothes that wick are a light weight fabric that pulls moisture away from skin when they are wet so you stay warm. Cotton stays wet so you end up feeling cold with regular cotton tees.

You really don't need to go to a running store to get wicking things. Any sport store sell these or again roadrunnersportsdotcom (of course replace the word dot with a period). Roadrunnersports had tons of running stuff. If you join their VIP Club for $1.99 all your shipping is free.

Sign up for a race if you haven't already. It really gets you motivated plus they are tons of fun. Disney World has a Half Marathon in

February...the Princess Half Marathon that is a GREAT Half to start with. It is mostly women though my brother ran last year and my husband is running this year, you can wear a princess costume if you like and it is a laid back kindof feel. There is opportunity to stop along the way and have your picture taken with Disney Characters. Google images of the run.

Half Marathons are doable if you follow one of the running plans like Hal Higdons. There are also lots of 5K or 10K around but a race if fun to do.

Have fun in Cancun. Is it an All Inclusive? We've always wanted to do one of these but I choose cruising instead :) There's just something about waking up for an early morning run everyday in a different country.

Thanks Sand,

It is quite amazing to me how running and competition dance are just so similiar. Both mentally and physically, so it is a really good combo for me. LOL, when I run I listen to ballroom music and it inspires me to push on.

Next week-end I will be doing my first 5k run. This is a fun race and figured the perfect first one for me to do. My goal is to finish without walking and I am pretty confident I can do it. I am very goal driven in comp dance and do understand the importance to success to have short term goals to work towards. I am with you on that suggestion!

Last week-end I went to the Hartford Marathon to watch... Man, there are some super strong ladies out there!!

I find an all inclusive vacation as close to a cruise as one can get. This one, the Le blanc is a 5 star all inclusive and will be our second time there. The resturants, spa and nightly shows are great! I also find when doing a land vacation one year and then back to a cruise the next year it actually gives me a better appreciation for a cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm so excited to find your thread! I haven't read everyone's post as it would take me forever at this point. A little about myself & running. I've been a runner for about 1 1/2 yrs. I ran my first 5K in June 2010 without really training. I didn't really think I would learn to love running but this year I've ran several 5K's & trained for the Sept 2011 Chicago 1/2 Marathon over the summer. The training was going so well but then I developed a femur stress fracture. Had to quit my training in July. I was disappointed. I walked every week over 20 miles until 2 weeks before the race. I was determined to still at least run/walk it. Well I ran the whole race. I couldn't believe I made it in 2:28.. I was hoping for 2:10 without an injury! I felt great. The Chicago 1/2 marathon is a great one to run for a first timer! Then 6 days later I ran another 1/2 marathon in my hometown. All hills.. very tough course & i ran it in 2:29.

I did a 5K in October & it was a chilly 35 degrees. Totally different running in cooler weather for me. Well tonight, I decided to run a 5K Turkey Trot that is put on by our local YMCA. Weather should be about 36 degrees. I haven't invested in any cold weather running gear yet but I'll just bundle up.. probably look funny but it doesn't matter! It's about the finishline for me!

Looking forward to next summer's 5K's, the Chicago 1/2 maraton in Sept, my first marathon will be the Chicago marathon in Oct 2012 & then the Maimi 1/2 Marathon Jan 2013!

Happy Thanksgiving! Happy Running!

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this thread is still alive, since the last post was in October! I'm Alaska cruising in late June. It's a long trek from West Lafayette to Vancouver, BC, so I'm going to take it in little bits, while training for the Indy Mini-Marathon, too. It's hard when fighting a cold, though, IN the cold!

Because it's 2318 miles btw the 2, I'll break it into chunks. We're taking Amtrak to Vancouver. So, the first chunk will be the train from West Lafayette to Chicago.

Wow! I just checked the Amtrak route from West Lafayette to Vancouver. I have a lot of work to do! Let's see how far I get between now & 6/23 when we board the train! Wish me luck!

Sara

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Wow I just found this thread and thought what a good idea maybe I will do it ....

Then realised I had 78 days to travel 3442 miles from Victoria BC Canada (saranade4: the Island next to Vancouver) to Ft Lauderdale. That is about 44miles a day....no way!

So now I will have to think of how to inspire myself to get out and walk. I don't run, youthful injury, but can get up to a good 4.5mph, after a bit of training, walking.

Oh boy I would have to walk solid for 10 hrs every day to walk to the port....no way!

Ok so help me come up with a goal. I can only really do walking 5 days a week and I am doing it for toning not weight loss or love of exercise so be gentle with me.

cheers, h.

I haven't read all the posts but wanted to chim in that I am starting to run again today! I haven't ran since November... shame on me... and my body has been feeling terrible latley. Although my feet feel great as I was having some pretty bad planters fascitis from running 3-4 times a week before. My goal is to run 3 times a week for 30 mintues. It is currently cold and snowing in Korea, so I am running on an indoor track above a basketball court. I do not like treadmills, they hurt my feet more!

I too have moved indoors for the winter. I don't have access to an indoor track, so it's the treadmill for me. I hate it. I've switched to doing 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the Expresso bike, and I'm really enjoying the competitiveness of it.

On foot since Apr 11: 404.1m

On Expresso bike since Nov 11: 124m

• 3 weeks later...

I really need to get back into this. I have been a slug the last several months and my weight is up :mad:. Started eating better the last few days and plan to start the treadmill again Friday morning. Hopefully, I can get a routine going again before the ungodly heat arrives here again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Cruise cat I can relate! I trained all summer for the Chicago half marathon in September & ran it with an injury... I have a stress fracture in my tibia... (Summer of 2011 it was in my femur). I took about 7 weeks off & am struggling to get back out there. I'm suppose to be training for the Miami half marathon on jan 27th...my rewarded is jumping on the carnival breeze as soon as I'm finished...I need to run fast! Lol

Hoping to get outside starting tomorrow & get some mileage on! Gradual increase in mileage though as i don't want an injury....

Happy running!

Sue

Cruise cat I can relate! I trained all summer for the Chicago half marathon in September & ran it with an injury... I have a stress fracture in my tibia... (Summer of 2011 it was in my femur). I took about 7 weeks off & am struggling to get back out there. I'm suppose to be training for the Miami half marathon on jan 27th...my rewarded is jumping on the carnival breeze as soon as I'm finished...I need to run fast! Lol

Hoping to get outside starting tomorrow & get some mileage on! Gradual increase in mileage though as i don't want an injury....

Happy running!

Sue

My weak point in my hamstrings, particularly my left one. I did not chance it Friday or Saturday after the good day I had Thursday (8 miles). I just did a three mile walk on the treadmill today and it seams to have loosened up.

I will be Jumping off the Carnival Breeze as you are jumping on!

Cruise cat no way!

You going for the bloggers cruise? I'm so hoping John h. Is still on board for my cruise.... I'm hoping to run the race quickly then get to the port early....

Hamstring injury ouch! I've got a friend who has been suffering for months with one... I can't imagine the pain from it!

Cruise cat no way!

You going for the bloggers cruise? I'm so hoping John h. Is still on board for my cruise.... I'm hoping to run the race quickly then get to the port early....

Hamstring injury ouch! I've got a friend who has been suffering for months with one... I can't imagine the pain from it!

The worst was back in 2006. I think I got "high hamstring tendioathy" sp? Basically where it tears or ruptures the sheath of the tendons up near where it attaches to your hip. It hurt to walk for three months, could not put push off it for about six, and did not run again for 12. So, I am paranoid about pushing things too fast.

I heard that if any of the marathoners do not make a certain point by a certain time, they are going to turn them off onto the 1/2 course. It could be a bit crowded.

Cruise cat-

The course is actually both the half & full till the last 800 meters when the half marathoners turn to the finishline. I'm sure the marathoners have a min pace required. The Chicago half pace was a 16:00 min mile... Easy peasey in my opinion!

I'm running only the half... I spent last jan in the hospital with a freak pneumonia & missed my cruise...long story but I didn't think I was ever gonna run again... I wanted to run the Chicago marathon but the sign up was when I was ill. I'm thinking that the Miami half will be my last long race... Maybe just focus on my speed for 5k/10k...

Good luck on healing & running!

• 1 month later...

Staying at it. Battling through blisters and "black toenail". Doing long "runs" of around 17. Trying to figure out the whole eating as I run thing. Still can only actually run about 20 minutes at a time and have to go into fast walk. I think I need wider shoes. Also did not trim my toenails enough when I started to long runs (or maybe I need a bigger shoe period).

Biggest thing is my weight. I know when I opened this thread many years ago, I would discuss everything but actual weight. But I feel great as I went from 253 the third week in April (my heaviest ever) down to 201 this morning. "Onederland" is in sight! I haven't seen the 100s in 9 years. I am hoping to be in the 175-180 range come marathon time!

Good for you cruise cat for sticking with it! You need to get to a good running shoe store! The good ones will fit you into the shoes that best fit for you. I wouldn't go anywhere else. They will even allow me to return them if they aren't the ones for me! You should not get blisters! Black toenails are nasty...trim them from now one...and get to the shoe store!

Are you following a training schedule?

Sue