NCL customer service, not good!

jennjess

9 hours ago, cruising sister said:

As a pediatrician I leave it up to the parents of an autistic individual to know best how to handle the situation. They have been dealing with them for years and know what is best. It was a broken bone for goodness sakes not a heart attack. 

Just to add, it was a possible broken bone. They did not know at the time if it was broken or not; not a life or death situation.

10 hours ago, cruising sister said:

As a pediatrician I leave it up to the parents of an autistic individual to know best how to handle the situation. They have been dealing with them for years and know what is best. It was a broken bone for goodness sakes not a heart attack. 

48 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Just to add, it was a possible broken bone. They did not know at the time if it was broken or not; not a life or death situation.

Good to know that the medical professional believes that it should be the parent, not the child, making medical decisions.

That said, aside from the fact that nobody mentioned heart attack (drama much?), neither the parents or the child were able to give a proper diagnosis. Only the medical professionals can do that. Hindsight should not be used to cover for poor decision making at the time, IMHO.

What they knew was that there was an unknown injury. Again, IMHO, medical care should be sought out immediately...even if you have to wait in line with others...since the lay-person has no way to deliver a proper diagnosis. Bob Saget fell and had an unknown injury and decided to go to bed instead of seeking medical care. 

Honestly, I don't even get why seeking immediate medical care for one's children is even a topic for debate.

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Good to know that the medical professional believes that it should be the parent, not the child, making medical decisions.

That said, aside from the fact that nobody mentioned heart attack (drama much?), neither the parents or the child were able to give a proper diagnosis. Only the medical professionals can do that. Hindsight should not be used to cover for poor decision making at the time, IMHO.

What they knew was that there was an unknown injury. Again, IMHO, medical care should be sought out immediately...even if you have to wait in line with others...since the lay-person has no way to deliver a proper diagnosis. Bob Saget fell and had an unknown injury and decided to go to bed instead of seeking medical care. 

Honestly, I don't even get why seeking immediate medical care for one's children is even a topic for debate.

Mom of 5 here, kids get hurt a lot, I don’t know a parent who’s bringing a child to the ER in the middle of the night for a possible broken bone. My son broke his ankle and it was super obvious he needed medical attention (ambulance brought him to a pediatric trauma center but he had to wait until morning because he ate dinner and needed surgery), my daughter broke her wrist, again obviously broken, went to the ER and they X-ray’s, wrapped it and told us to get her in with an orthopedist the next day. Not that many simple breaks get cast overnight. Sprains/brakes tend to be wait and see injuries with kids (mine were dancers/athletes and had a lot of sprains).

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Mom of 5 here, kids get hurt a lot, I don’t know a parent who’s bringing a child to the ER in the middle of the night for a possible broken bone. My son broke his ankle and it was super obvious he needed medical attention (ambulance brought him to a pediatric trauma center but he had to wait until morning because he ate dinner and needed surgery), my daughter broke her wrist, again obviously broken, went to the ER and they X-ray’s, wrapped it and told us to get her in with an orthopedist the next day. Not that many simple breaks get cast overnight. Sprains/brakes tend to be wait and see injuries with kids (mine were dancers/athletes and had a lot of sprains).

I'd have to disagree, possible breaks are serious and need immediate attention.  Cases of "sprained" ankles that were actually breaks have been known to develop blood clots and fatalities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

I'd have to disagree, possible breaks are serious and need immediate attention.  Cases of "sprained" ankles that were actually breaks have been known to develop blood clots and fatalities.

I’m sorry, I’m not taking a child with a sore arm to the ER in the middle of the night, fevers can indicate something serious too but I’m not taking a child to the ER in the middle of the night for a fever unless it’s super high.

15 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m sorry, I’m not taking a child with a sore arm to the ER in the middle of the night, fevers can indicate something serious too but I’m not taking a child to the ER in the middle of the night for a fever unless it’s super high.

We all have our own acceptable levels of risk...........

15 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Why not exactly? The only difference between the middle of the night and the middle of the day is whether or not the sun has risen...which should NOT be a factor in seeking medical care for a child. If something requires a doctor when the sun is shining, then the same thing requires a doctor when it is not. I don't see how the time of day or night has any bearing on whether or not a child should receive medical care.

Emergencies don't follow a clock.

10 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Why not exactly? The only difference between the middle of the night and the middle of the day is whether or not the sun has risen...which should NOT be a factor in seeking medical care for a child. If something requires a doctor when the sun is shining, then the same thing requires a doctor when it is not. I don't see how the time of day or night has any bearing on whether or not a child should receive medical care.

Emergencies don't follow a clock.

If my child had a fever in the middle of the day I wouldn’t take that child to the ER, maybe the pediatrician if presented with other symptoms or urgent care. As a parent I assess the risk, a fever or broken bone are not emergencies in most cases. Unfortunately there are people who go to the ER for every little thing.

16 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

If my child had a fever in the middle of the day I wouldn’t take that child to the ER, maybe the pediatrician if presented with other symptoms or urgent care. As a parent I assess the risk, a fever or broken bone are not emergencies in most cases. Unfortunately there are people who go to the ER for every little thing.

You misunderstand the question. What I'm asking is: Given that immediate medical care is needed, why would the time of day be a factor in seeking that care. Remember, we aren't talking about a fever here, no need to change the injury to one that supports a different narrative. And you also need to keep in mind that you are making decisions "as a parent", while the OP has deferred medical decisions to the child.

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

You misunderstand the question. What I'm asking is: Given that immediate medical care is needed, why would the time of day be a factor in seeking that care. Remember, we aren't talking about a fever here, no need to change the injury to one that supports a different narrative. And you also need to keep in mind that you are making decisions "as a parent", while the OP has deferred medical decisions to the child.

I’m equating a possible broken arm to a fever, not an emergency. I’ve raised five children into adulthood, every trip to the ER was necessary. Some injuries/illnesses aren’t emergencies and can wait until the next day. Pediatrics offices and urgent cares and much better options in many places, but not open at night. 

8 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

5 hours ago, SeaShark said:

With the crowd the OP encountered in the ER they were not going to receive immediate care. Going to the medical center on the ship may have resulted in getting an x-ray done sooner than staying in the ER. What I may have done differently than the OP,  would be to consult with the doctor the hotel offered to call. The doctor may have been able to help get them care at a hospital more quickly than they could get by going to the ER on their own. Bottom line, we weren't there so we do not know what exactly they were going through.

Maybe the OP just needed to come here to vent, and let NCL know that they felt abandoned? And to let others know to adjust their expectations. The only thing I felt NCL may have done wrong was give them contact info that did not work for them.

31 minutes ago, jennjess said:

Finally received the NCL refund I was waiting for which was a nice surprise this morning.  It took 5 weeks in the end. Now just the insurance to chase up for the rest.

There should never really have been any issue about receiving the NCL refund. A five week turnaround is not bad, a lot less than people were experiencing at the beginning of the pandemic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

There should never really have been any issue about receiving the NCL refund. A five week turnaround is not bad, a lot less than people were experiencing at the beginning of the pandemic.

It was my experience over the contact details that was making me wary that it wouldn't work out. So relieved that it did.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:06 PM, The Shrike said:

If the OP didn't want to be lectured about the situation she shouldn't have parceled out her almost unbelievable story in bits and pieces, forcing people to ask for clarity again and again.  She did this while hammering home the fact that it was her decision - sorry, make that the decision of her autistic child who in her own words "can't deal with these situations on his own", yet for some reason she let him make decisions to deal with the situation - that caused them to leave the ship after embarkation.  

Like other people who make these sort of posts, they come looking for validation...  "I was victimized".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Like other people who make these sort of posts, they come looking for validation...  "I was victimized".

Exactly!!!  On and on and on she went, the drama was off the charts, now all of a sudden, all is well that ends well.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Exactly!!!  On and on and on she went, the drama was off the charts, now all of a sudden, all is well that ends well.  

Of course, you have to wonder just how things got resolved when the OP had all of the wrong contact information? How did things resolve when the OP couldn't "talk to the right people"? 

1 hour ago, jennjess said:

It was my experience over the contact details that was making me wary that it wouldn't work out. So relieved that it did.

What exactly did they say to you that made you think that those things that should have been and actually were totally refundable under your circumstances were not going to be refunded?

Also, I'd like you to clarify something. It has been stated that they found your luggage and had it taken off the ship. Some have taken this as you meant to end your cruise while you have maintained that you wanted to rejoin it at another port. Did you actually request the luggage to come off, or was this done by NCL without you requesting it?

Basically they said nothing to me about possible refunds and I wasn't really thinking about that at the time.  It was a shock to hear that the bone was broken and that it would probably need surgery.  I didn't ever talk to guest services onboard, we left the ship straight from the medical centre.  The bags were located by them, not sure if they ever made it to the cabin. I did email them to ask about the refunds a day or two after we had left the ship, but the email was never answered.  Not sure if I wrote anything about reboarding in the email and to be honest I always thought they would get back to me at some point but they never did.

Obviously they assumed we wouldn't be returning.  Actually I'm not sure if we even scanned our cards when we left, it all happened very quickly.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:51 AM, jennjess said:

Yes, I was expecting alittle more from NCL. Just to have kept in contact would have been nice or if they had given us a contact number so we could call them to let them know what was happening or if we could reboard later.  All we had was the port agents number who said he was only responsible for getting us to a hospital. We felt abandoned.

53 minutes ago, jennjess said:

Basically they said nothing to me about possible refunds and I wasn't really thinking about that at the time.  It was a shock to hear that the bone was broken and that it would probably need surgery.  I didn't ever talk to guest services onboard, we left the ship straight from the medical centre.  The bags were located by them, not sure if they ever made it to the cabin. I did email them to ask about the refunds a day or two after we had left the ship, but the email was never answered.  Not sure if I wrote anything about reboarding in the email and to be honest I always thought they would get back to me at some point but they never did.

Obviously they assumed we wouldn't be returning.  Actually I'm not sure if we even scanned our cards when we left, it all happened very quickly.

You left the ship straight from the medical center and never talked to guest services. No discussion with them about possible refunds. When you left, all you had was the phone number of the port agent. 

So who exactly gave you the 2 email addresses that you were using from which you never received a response?

19 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

You left the ship straight from the medical center and never talked to guest services. No discussion with them about possible refunds. When you left, all you had was the phone number of the port agent. 

So who exactly gave you the 2 email addresses that you were using from which you never received a response?

With all due respect, this horse has really run its last race and time to let him rest in the barn.  OP’s fable has changed so rapidly that I have whiplash.

• Like 1