Can trip insurance help if you paid for airfare with points?

If I paid for my airfare with points but get delayed coming home because of testing positive for Covid, will the insurance cover the higher price for flying home?  Since I probably wont have enough points for the current going rate.

You should read the terms/conditions of whichever insurance policy you have, as that's what will control what is/is not covered.

All I know is that for the policies we've had, there is no specific coverage for "return airfare if more than the points exchanged", etc.

And if there is no cancellation or delay, then I'm not sure what the grounds would be for any coverage at all.

With our policies, IF there were some travel interruption, then the total amount of our coverage would be multiplied by 1.5 (150%) to take into account some of the higher costs (such as return, last minute, airfare being higher, points or not).

How it works for a delay due to Covid... that would depend upon the policy.  Since we haven't traveled since we returned immediately before the pandemic started, we haven't even looked into this yet.  Obviously, we'll need to when we plan another trip, alas.

Do you have a policy that allows for coverage for expenses in this type of delay (or any delay)?

Unfortunately, this pandemic was such a new and sudden occurrence that a lot of things like this are still being ironed out as a particular situation arises.

GC