What kind of coverage am I looking for to cover expensive flight home?

Trip Interruption of any comprehensive travel policy will pay for return transportation if your trip is interrupted/delayed for a covered reason. Typically the coverage is 150% of the trip cost to cover unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses and return transportation. 

Some policies cover up to 100% of cost; others up to 200%. Look for a policy with  combination of generous trip delay, trip interruption, and an extension so that your coverage does not end if you are delayed beyond your scheduled return date.

14 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

If we are quarantined overseas and the new ticket to fly home is thousands more $  than what we originally paid, will trip insurance cover that?  What do I need to look for in the policy details?

First ask yourself if this is going to financially destroy you and put you into bankruptcy.

Then decide if this scenario is a reality and has a high percentage of happening? Or are you just reaching?

Travel insurance is a shared risk opportunity. You determine what the risks are and then decide what your willing to pay to share some of the risk with an outside vendor.

Myself? Your scenario may be difficult financially but would not put me into financial bankruptcy. Maybe having a policy that might return 25% of the unexpected finances would be acceptable