We are sailed out of Vancouver to Hawaii in Sept. Where do we get Covid testing??

nana47bev

At home, a hotel room, or a qualified COVID testing site. I'm not trying to be snarky, without more information the number of possibilities is staggering.

Are you asking about testing sites in Vancouver?

If you're asking about Vancouver, there is a testing center at Canada Place. It's run by CVM Medical. That's where I'm taking my pre-cruise test next month. They also run a testing center at Vancouver airport. Timed appointments, although I think the airport one also takes walk-ins. But best to make an appointment. 

If you are staying Pre-cruise for long enough that a test taken at home expires before boarding, you can use any local testing site (all locations listed here) or do any Proctored (officially observed) test from your hotel etc. Personally I'd always opt for at-home proctored first (zero extra risks), then proctored locally (cheaper and less risk of exposure to randos in the queue with you for the clinic), and a physical clinic location as an absolute last resort for those without any kind of internet-capable device.

The main reason for a local to be using a clinic is to get a PCR test when they suspect they have Covid, as that's the only way we can acquire a 'get out of jail free' card for 6 months travel without further testing... otherwise we now all have free at-home antigen test kits, which can also be used with a cheap Proctoring service to get us onto a cruise ship or a flight to the US. So almost everyone in the clinic space with you other than medical staff are either fellow tourists, who probably just flew in with who knows how many asymptomatic contacts en route or actually-sick locals!

On 5/23/2022 at 10:09 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If you're asking about Vancouver, there is a testing center at Canada Place. It's run by CVM Medical. That's where I'm taking my pre-cruise test next month.

When is your test scheduled? I found out yesterday that the CVM location at the pier is closing on June 1. We have scrambled to find another testing site on June 3 near home for our June 5 cruise.

42 minutes ago, travlr21 said:

When is your test scheduled? I found out yesterday that the CVM location at the pier is closing on June 1. We have scrambled to find another testing site on June 3 near home for our June 5 cruise.

If I type the words that just flew out of my mouth, I'll be banned from Cruise Critic!

Thank you so much for posting this. My appointment was for the 13th. I can't believe they haven't contacted me. I paid for it in advance. So now I have to do an alternate testing method. I guess I'll figure out how to do the online proctored test on my phone. And I'll have to chase them for a refund. 

Why on earth would they close this site? It would bring in a fortune with so many cruisers needing a test. So yet another bit of this trip that I have to start over...

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Why on earth would they close this site?

I know! It was so convenient. I just noticed they finally updated their website to say it is 'temporarily closed until further notification'.  Not much help if you are cruising soon. We cancelled our appointments online, we hope the refund is done quickly. Good luck.

I want to call and scream at them  just to get it out of my system. More than anything, I'm annoyed that they have not contacted me. That's a lousy way to do business.

I am so tired of dealing with all this covid #$%^&*! QE currrently has an outbreak, so it's likely that my cruise will not have the launderettes, the thermal suite in the spa, the usual lectures, etc. I have to deal with the bus instead of the train because Amtrak can't get its act together. Everything looks like a hassle and a disappointment. I have to keep reminding myself that Alaska is gorgeous and the trip will be worth it.  (It's hot as hell here today, so please forgive the crankiness)

So, is there a list of approved companies that will do the online proctoring? 

6 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I want to call and scream at them  just to get it out of my system. More than anything, I'm annoyed that they have not contacted me. That's a lousy way to do business.

I am so tired of dealing with all this covid #$%^&*! QE currrently has an outbreak, so it's likely that my cruise will not have the launderettes, the thermal suite in the spa, the usual lectures, etc. I have to deal with the bus instead of the train because Amtrak can't get its act together. Everything looks like a hassle and a disappointment. I have to keep reminding myself that Alaska is gorgeous and the trip will be worth it.  (It's hot as hell here today, so please forgive the crankiness)

So, is there a list of approved companies that will do the online proctoring? 

Acculab and Switch offer proctored tests 

8 hours ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

Acculab and Switch offer proctored tests 

Thanks, I'll check them out.

To continue the nonsense with the Canada Place testing center, it isn't really closed "indefinitely." I emailed to ask what was going on and to complain that they didn't contact me. I received a reply that they're closed through June 10, and my June 13 appointment wasn't affected. So why does the website say "indefinitely" instead of "through June 10"????? 

• 2 weeks later...

All of the drug store chains in Canada offer tests for travel purposes.  You need to book an appointment though.  So if these other places don't pan out, try Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall, or possibly London Drugs (this latter one is a local BC chain, so I'm not sure if they offer testing). You can choose a location close to your hotel and book a time.  These aren't that scary in that they only offer testing for travel purposes, so not hordes of infected people hanging around.  It's C$40 last time I checked.

On 6/15/2022 at 5:40 PM, KiwiGal117 said:

All of the drug store chains in Canada offer tests for travel purposes.  You need to book an appointment though.  So if these other places don't pan out, try Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall, or possibly London Drugs (this latter one is a local BC chain, so I'm not sure if they offer testing). You can choose a location close to your hotel and book a time.  These aren't that scary in that they only offer testing for travel purposes, so not hordes of infected people hanging around.  It's C$40 last time I checked.

Just an FYI....Unfortunately, most of the drug store chains in BC do not offer testing for travel purposes - they do in eastern Canada (aka Ontario, but not BC).  There are a couple of Shopper Drug Mart locations that offer the more expensive PCR test (~$150 CAD).  So please make sure to check before hand and don't count on finding an easy drug store options.  Here is a list from the BC CDC website of some of the private companies that provide travel testing  http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/testing/where-to-get-a-covid-19-test-in-bc

18 hours ago, taylor_99b said:

Just an FYI....Unfortunately, most of the drug store chains in BC do not offer testing for travel purposes - they do in eastern Canada (aka Ontario, but not BC).  There are a couple of Shopper Drug Mart locations that offer the more expensive PCR test (~$150 CAD).  So please make sure to check before hand and don't count on finding an easy drug store options.  Here is a list from the BC CDC website of some of the private companies that provide travel testing  http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/testing/where-to-get-a-covid-19-test-in-bc

Doh!  Thanks for providing correct information!!