Bacon shortage? 🤣🤣

Indianamale

Guest BasicSailor
28 minutes ago, linbobky said:

go to the mdr and get all the bacon you want! i never eat at the buffet and always got the bacon i wanted.

Thats a link to a previous thread.

1 hour ago, pickle11 said:

Just off the Splendor and Spirit in Alaska. Walmart on water.  And I have had better breakfasts at Days Inn.  

Interesting. I thought the breakfast at the buffet on Splendor on May 2 was fine. The made to order omelets were excellent, the ham, hashbrown rounds, grits, bagels and French toast were good as well.

• Like 4

My personal opinion is that Carnival is being too cheap with their policy of withholding bacon from the buffet. What's next? Food prices are going up...ok, we understand that...but where do you draw the line when it comes to customer service? If milk prices go much higher, will they ration it too? We pay good money for a cruise experience that shouldn't see us being nickled and dimed to death. If they ever stoop so low as to eliminate the free ice cream cones...I'm out!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Interesting. I thought the breakfast at the buffet on Splendor on May 2 was fine. The made to order omelets were excellent, the ham, hashbrown rounds, grits, bagels and French toast were good as well.

I know people who really like vending machine food too. 

7 minutes ago, hillbillycruisers said:

My personal opinion is that Carnival is being too cheap with their policy of withholding bacon from the buffet. What's next? Food prices are going up...ok, we understand that...but where do you draw the line when it comes to customer service? If milk prices go much higher, will they ration it too? We pay good money for a cruise experience that shouldn't see us being nickled and dimed to death. If they ever stoop so low as to eliminate the free ice cream cones...I'm out!!

Their ice cream is nothing to write home about but MSC's gelato was worth the cost. I ate it 2 times a day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indianamale said:

I love the breakfast burritos too. Thanks for letting me know about the dining room. I can only imagine how long that would take to eat there now since they are having staffing issues which I understand but maybe they should lower the passenger capacity .

Takes same amount of time as it always has

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hillbillycruisers said:

What's next?  There are only two options.  Either limit it (which they are doing) or increase prices to cover the rising cost of food.  
Well.  I guess 3.  They can absorb the cost.  But I'm guessing that isn't really an option at this point. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Indianamale said:

I can only imagine how long that would take to eat there now since they are having staffing issues

It take the same amount of time to eat there as always.   The problem isn't how long it takes to eat, but how long it takes to get served🤔

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

It's amazing how fast everyone went from "I'd survive on toast and stale beer to be on a ship again!" to "Rationing Bacon?!? I'm out." 🤣

I'm not paying to go on a floating Fyre fest sorry, if that's your idea of a good vacation enjoy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 1kaper said:

What's next?  There are only two options.  Either limit it (which they are doing) or increase prices to cover the rising cost of food.  
Well.  I guess 3.  They can absorb the cost.  But I'm guessing that isn't really an option at this point. 

I would rather pay more money for things that I expect. I just wonder when customers are going to say enough is enough. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Indianamale said:

I just mean by blaming it on supply issues while every other cruise line has it. I would think that they use the same suppliers. I also said it's not a big deal, I was just wondering. I know other people who have been on different cruise lines and I asked them and they said never a issue. 

Supply is still limited though, which increases costs due to existing demands - check out your grocery store's bacon section and notice the lack of specials/sales.  I was used to getting BOGO specials at around $6/lb (so really $6 for 2 lbs), but now I'm lucky to find bacon "on sale" for $6.99 / lb.

So Carnival either limits the bacon supply (in particular at the buffet, where it is more easily regulated), or charges more for your cruise in order to supply it with "enough" bacon.  The "other cruise lines" must have decided they have the correct cash flow to provide it, Carnival has shaved that cost of $5 (or whatever) pp per cruise by limiting bacon.

I mean, what does Carnival gain by not offering bacon, if it is otherwise easily available at reasonable cost?

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I mean, what does Carnival gain by not offering bacon, if it is otherwise easily available at reasonable cost?

The last option is Carnival has the correct cash flow to provide it like the rest of the industry but decided they can push a lower standard on their customer base because of 'COVID' and turn that expense into profit.

I mean look at the steak situation.  We went from a time not that many years ago where you could get a filet at breakfast and a prime cut of steak at dinner daily in the MDR , that was downgraded to flat iron steak and now once again to a tough strip loin steak.  They will gladly serve you a decent steak though for $20. 

• Like 3

FYI - As was stated above, at Guy's they also have bacon behind the counter... Ordering any of the burgers (plain jane for me) with 'add bacon' will net the bacon burger I used to be able to create at the toppings bar. 

• Like 1

The limited days of bacon was in place BEFORE covid and it had to do with food waste. People were taking plates and plates full and eating two pieces and then it all had to be thrown away. NOW we have the added cost of how expensive it is. Carnival is 100% justified for greedy people who don't eat what they take. Other cruiselines probably just don't have the problem of people taking and wasting as much food.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

The limited days of bacon was in place BEFORE covid and it had to do with food waste. People were taking plates and plates full and eating two pieces and then it all had to be thrown away. NOW we have the added cost of how expensive it is. Carnival is 100% justified for greedy people who don't eat what they take. Other cruiselines probably just don't have the problem of people taking and wasting as much food.

LOL....I bet you believe that and how it is a Carnival only problem.  The people who cruise on other lines all just take 3 slices like a cultured person.🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indianamale said:

I would rather pay more money for things that I expect. I just wonder when customers are going to say enough is enough. 

Careful, if you pay more and sail with a different cruise line the experience might spoil you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Indianamale said:

I'm not paying to go on a floating Fyre fest sorry, if that's your idea of a good vacation enjoy. 

Never said that was my idea of a good vacation. Just an observation about the desperation that was expressed while cruising was shut down.

• Like 1