Rotterdam Itinerary Change - June 19th departure from Amsterdam

Gary5441

Stop at Bergen removed, most things have been re-shuffled. Stopping at Maloy (*****?) which pretty has very little and zero shore excursions.  No shore excursions listed for the Gieranger day either.  Seems like lots of shore excursions cancelled because of the re-shuffle. Hard to tell what is actually going on exactly.

Probably all COVID related as I read elsewhere they re-instated a mask mandate aboard the ship.

If I had the insurance I would cancel. Seems like this very special trip is going to be quite compromised in multiple ways.  I'll see the rest of you aboard.

image.png.050f824a4b540056c1dd295d0160a17b.png

• Thanks 1

That is quite a re-shuffling.  Why would Covid cause this, as the ports are all in one country?  In any event, very disappointing.

Ours in July went through the same thing with Geiranger being replaced with Hellesylt.  It took them about a month and then excursions were listed for all of the other reshuffled ports except Hellesylt.  Apparently we are going to stand on the pier and look at each other.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roz said:

That is quite a re-shuffling.  Why would Covid cause this, as the ports are all in one country?  In any event, very disappointing.

I don't know and I was only speculating that COVID was the cause. It just seemed rather coincidental with the itinerary change and mask requirements introduced on the same day as far as I can tell. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gary5441 said:

I don't know and I was only speculating that COVID was the cause. It just seemed rather coincidental with the itinerary change and mask requirements introduced on the same day as far as I can tell. 

They are not related. We are booked on the June 26th sailing and when researching the ports I always try to find the official port authority and hope to find out where we will be docked. 

I have a PDF from the Eidjford cruise port dated May 9th and on that date the Rotterdam was already scheduled for the 24th: https://hardangerfjord.fra1.digitaloceanspaces.com/Eidfjord-cruise-calls-2022-pr-09.05.2022.pdf

We also are supposed to stop in Bergen and since I started my research in April the Rotterdam is only scheduled there June 10th en July 18th. The same goes for our stop in Stavanger, not scheduled on the date were supposed to be there.

So I'm afraid that we also get a new itinerary in a few days, especially as our cruise has disappeared from the plan your cruise on the HAL site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, relo said:

They are not related. We are booked on the June 26th sailing and when researching the ports I always try to find the official port authority and hope to find out where we will be docked. 

That's exactly as I always (try to) do.  Especially in Norway it seems the smartest way too.

This just in from Son in Law, disembarked Rotterdam Sunday. He also cruised this ship a few months ago. Just FYI he is a 40 year old computer engineer, thus the Wifi interest. 

Covid Testing
  • As of now you have to provide a negative test result taken within 2 days of embarkation (so the Friday before). It can be rapid of course (same as US entry requirements I think).
  • They will also check your vaccination status.  I brought my original vax card.
  • They will try to get you to do the "VeriFly" thing, but I wouldn't worry about it. It is a very frustrating app. In my embarkation experience in Amsterdam, no one ever asked to see it, so it was a complete waste of time.
  • For your return to the US, if still required, they will test you for free on the Saturday before you disembark.  I got my result about 3 hours after the test delivered to my room.  Very quick and convenient/
Embarkation
  • I know you guys pack light anyway but, keep in mind you will have to lug your bags around Amsterdam on your arrival day if you have stuff planned before you board (I think you have fancy lunch!)
  • You can carry your own bags during check-in and directly onto the ship--you don't have to check them.
  • Technically you are not allowed to bring any alcohol on board other than wine, and they charge you an exorbitant fee for that. In Ft. Lauderdale they X-rayed all bags and made you remove wine bottles and check them at a table (we were able to sneak past though). However, in my Amsterdam embarkation experience, no one ever checked my bags. They never even went though an X-ray.  So, you might be fine.

Internet/Communication
  • You need the Holland Navigator app to purchase the Wifi on board. Ship Wifi is around $10/day for one device. I just purchase immediately on the first day for best value.
  • You can purchase the plan for one device and switch devices at any time. It uses the MAC address to identify your device, so if you have a dynamic MAC (most phones do this now) you will have to "switch devices" a lot.  Open the app, click Connect to Wifi, and it'll say you're connected on another device but you can choose to "disconnect other device."    You can also pay more for a multi-device plan, but I've just done the one-device and switching thing myself.
  • They have really locked down the ship Wifi... I was not able to use a VPN (even over HTTP ports) or remote desktop so it was not really possible to work from the ship.  I was also unable to share the ship Wifi as a hotspot. Google Fi was a godsend while in ports... and they just increased their data throttling limit to 50GB per user!
  • WhatsApp is the most reliable way to communicate using the ship Wifi... G Chat will work but images don't come through sometimes.  
Attire
  • It's very casual most of the time. Even the dining room and restaurants don't really care as long as you look presentable. 🙂
  • There will be 2-3 "dressy" nights. You do not have to dress up but, it's kinda fun.
  • Temperature control in the room works pretty well, but they keep it cold in the public areas. Like, in the 60s. We also had temperature extremes in the ports... anywhere from 50-80 degree days. Bring layers!

Day to Day
  • There's not a whole lot to do in the mornings on sea days. Can be good gym time. They have treadmills and ellipticals. You can also walk outside... long track with obstructed views on deck 3, short track with great views on deck 12.  Should be nice for those fjord cruising days!
  • Lincoln Center chamber ensemble is really good. They usually perform in the afternoon or early evenings. I would go to as many of their shows as you can!
  • Main stage shows are usually at 7:30 and 9:30 and are mostly cheesy. The dance ensemble is great, and if the "Pianist with the Hair" is on, you should go see him.
  • All the music venues and main stage are deck 2 forward.

Food
  • Room service is mostly free or very modestly priced, and you are not expected to tip. We made heavy use of breakfast service for coffee in the mornings to enjoy on the balcony.
  • Grand Dutch Cafe has the best fries on the ship. Apple bacon pancake and veggie quiche are great.  We would eat here a lot for lunch.  Deck 3 midship.
  • Dining Room also does lunch.  Dining room is deck 2/3 aft.  Lido is deck 9 aft.
  • The Dive In burger place is actually pretty good, if you need a burger.
  • Favorite premium restaurants are Pinnacle (steakhouse-- lobster bisque, bacon clothesline, chocolate souffle) and Numi Sushi. Rudi's seafood has very over-the-top presentations, food is good but not great.  Others are Tamarind (Asian) and Canaletto (family style Italian) but we didn't try those together.  You can make reservations thru the app.
Drinks
  • Rolling Stone Rock Room has the best negronis on the ship. 
  • Half Moon Bar (deck 2 midship) has the fanciest cocktails and is usually very chill. The Rotterdam VII is made with a smoker!
Departure Day/Amsterdam Airport
  • Just a heads-up: security lines at AMS were ridiculous. They are very short-staffed I think. I waited about 75 minutes in line for my departing flight... very thankful I got there early. It looked like there was a special expedited line if you're business class, but I am not certain. I know you have kind of an early departure, so I'd recommend you get there as early as you can.
  • You can usually get off the ship around 7:00 or 7:30 if you carry your own bags (which I bet you will!). Public transit is very good but it might be worth it to take a taxi or other prearranged transport to AMS for peace of mind. Uber also works in Amsterdam, although we did not actually use it.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2ws said:

This just in from Son in Law, disembarked Rotterdam Sunday. He also cruised this ship a few months ago. Just FYI he is a 40 year old computer engineer, thus the Wifi interest. 

Covid Testing
  • As of now you have to provide a negative test result taken within 2 days of embarkation (so the Friday before). It can be rapid of course (same as US entry requirements I think).

@2ws, can you or your son-in-law clarify the 2-day testing requirement for boarding in Amsterdam comment? The HAL website currently says 3-days for European cruises (except Greece). 

Thanks for any clarification...

• Like 1

Just an FYI for those flying into Schipol it is a mess. Hours long queues on departure. Arrivals are a mess also. There is supposed to be some plan to assist announced tomorrow which may include flight cancelations. Please be sure to check your flights.

• Thanks 2

This may be the answer to the itinerary change.

The Government of Norway just last week released findings from a commission formed after the Viking Sky incident in 2019. With the lull in cruise ships sailing in Norwegian waters, they also looked at the environmental impact that large cruise ships present. Sailing to Svalbard has already been affected by the report with cancellation by the Island Princess leaving FLL today cancelling its port call,  and limitations for Geirangerfjord and Naeroyfjord may be implemented by mid-2020s. Also looked at was the necessary preparedness required in case of a maritime accident (Viking Sky). In the winter, they close portions of highways and the logic is that they should do the same with sea lanes.

The COVID shutdown has allowed Italy (Venice) to look at cruise ships and now Norway in a different light. More itinerary changes may be coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, BEAV said:

@2ws, can you or your son-in-law clarify the 2-day testing requirement for boarding in Amsterdam comment? The HAL website currently says 3-days for European cruises (except Greece). 

Thanks for any clarification...

It is and was 3 days. (except Greece).

On 5/26/2022 at 2:06 AM, relo said:

I have a PDF from the Eidjford cruise port dated May 9th and on that date the Rotterdam was already scheduled for the 24th

Port of Bergen still shows the Rotterdam on the schedule for June 24th.  Feels like we are getting screwed for the convenience of the company.

Port of Bergen.PNG

1 hour ago, Gary5441 said:

Port of Bergen still shows the Rotterdam on the schedule for June 24th.  Feels like we are getting screwed for the convenience of the company.

CruiseDig isn't a an official port site, they just scrape the information from the different cruise company sites. they are not more accurate than the HAL site.

The official site for Bergen is: https://bergenhavn.no/en/cruise-en/call-schedules-cruise/ and for Stavanger https://www.stavangerhavn.no/en/maritim/cruise/

1 hour ago, Gary5441 said:

Port of Bergen.PNG

I have a cruise on the Rotterdam with Bergen on the itinerary for May 2023 so I am interested in this topic. Your screenshot is not the official website for Bergen port schedules. The Rotterdam has been removed for 24 June 2022. The official Bergen Havn Port Schedule is:

https://bergenhavn.no/en/cruise-en/call-schedules-cruise/

This has actually been discussed in Norway since 2021. They feel that cruise ships leave a large climate footprint. The eventual goal is to have only one cruise ship per day call on Bergen. Evidently they are only allowing the Nieuw Statendam and the World Explorer to call in Bergen on the 24th.