NCL new tier levels

Guest BasicSailor

On 5/26/2022 at 12:01 PM, mking8288 said:

Oh, yes - free laundry of course.  We had to do two bags instead of just one (which is typical & normal for us on a 7 nighter ...)  Couldn't get the same sized load to fit into the downsized paper bag - somehow, steward found 2 old (formerly regular) sized paper bag when asked, for our convenience ... of course.

These specials are now $30 a bag (when offered to all as a "special"), thus we saved $60 in values.  Now, about those complimentary WiFi minutes, we "lost" 60 free minutes each but ... under Free At Sea (first world problem except for those that don't travel with a mobile device, power it off and lock it up in the mini safe until they disembark)

NCL get the honor of pioneering shrinkflation at sea ... like those incredible water carton(s).  Just business.  

PXL_20220512_041150447.jpg

wow, well that is sad but at least I won't be shocked on my next cruise

16 hours ago, nferr said:

Yeah, it's "fluff" but it adds up. I'm Diamond now on RCL which gives me 4 free drinks a day. That's enough to keep me from buying the drink package which is $67 a day right now for my upcoming cruise. That and I can bring on two bottles of wine, so I'm pretty much set since I'm going solo. I got another $220 off my solo balcony cabin. So a seven nights cruise NY to the Bahamas is costing me $765 including port fees and taxes, and that's solo in a balcony.  Way more if I wasn't Diamond because I would absolutely purchase the drink package and the balcony room would be $985.  So there's real savings there.

Royal goes almost completely a la carte on “extras”.  I’m Diamond with them, too.  Agree the free drinks are nice.  But, that alone won’t make me keep coming back.  

Just did an Alaska cruise on Ovation with them.  The ONLY reason I sailed with them was because of the fare, not the free drinks (nor the Diamond Lounge).

Not saying I don’t appreciate the freebies.  I didn’t have to buy the drink package either, as a result.

But, my other favorite line (in addition to NCL) is Celebrity, which I’m Elite.  Their drink package is included, no drink limits.  You pay for the “service fee” on NCL’s “included” drink package.  Still cheaper than Royal’s drink package.

For NCL, what’s worth the most to me for my loyalty is the free laundry.  So, what’s that worth?

Yeah…I also get some boarding privileges.  But, I don’t even put a value on that.

Again, the perks are nice.  None of them are going to make me an exclusive guest on any cruise line. Those perks just aren’t worth that much to me.  

10% off a cruise fare?  Now, you’re talking.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Royal goes almost completely a la carte on “extras”.  I’m Diamond with them, too.  Agree the free drinks are nice.  But, that alone won’t make me keep coming back.  

Just did an Alaska cruise on Ovation with them.  The ONLY reason I sailed with them was because of the fare, not the free drinks (nor the Diamond Lounge).

Not saying I don’t appreciate the freebies.  I didn’t have to buy the drink package either, as a result.

But, my other favorite line (in addition to NCL) is Celebrity, which I’m Elite.  Their drink package is included, no drink limits.  You pay for the “service fee” on NCL’s “included” drink package.  Still cheaper than Royal’s drink package.

For NCL, what’s worth the most to me for my loyalty is the free laundry.  So, what’s that worth?

Yeah…I also get some boarding privileges.  But, I don’t even put a value on that.

Again, the perks are nice.  None of them are going to make me an exclusive guest on any cruise line. Those perks just aren’t worth that much to me.  

10% off a cruise fare?  Now, you’re talking.

I always shop cruise price, but I include what it's going to cost me for extras if not included. Such as drinks, any specialty dining I want to do etc.  I've priced Celebrity but it's never even come close as a solo traveler. I did cruise once on Celebrity with my wife at the time and just didn't overall care for it.

• Like 1

ive looked at celebrity cruises, theyre really expensive. ncl may not be the best, but so far im sticking with them. they offer me the places i want to go and see, at a cost that i can handle comfortably. what more can i ask for?

• Like 1

End of the day it's the cost for the cruise you want.

Some perks can adjust the cost or add convenience

NCL 2 meals saves a bit as other lines I add them to the budget

Laundry NCL 1bag helps reduce the packing, we do one early in the cruise then one nearer then end.

Princess unlimited helps even more, almost do a cruise with carry on with daily laundry(reduced flight costs)

Drinks package can be marginal if there are some included like RCI, OH does not drink much so can drop the need for a package and PAYG for extras if no deal.

Priority less useful these days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, insidecabin said:

End of the day it's the cost for the cruise you want.

Some perks can adjust the cost or add convenience

NCL 2 meals saves a bit as other lines I add them to the budget

Laundry NCL 1bag helps reduce the packing, we do one early in the cruise then one nearer then end.

Princess unlimited helps even more, almost do a cruise with carry on with daily laundry(reduced flight costs)

Drinks package can be marginal if there are some included like RCI, OH does not drink much so can drop the need for a package and PAYG for extras if no deal.

Priority less useful these days.

This!!!!!

HAving sailed in Sky Suites on Celebrity, all inclusive, and $600 OBC, it made those cruises just about the same price as a big balcony cabin on Royal.  Not sure of pricing, now.  This was when prices were enticing several months ago.

Not buying the drink package on Royal and just using the 4 drinks for Diamond saved a chunk of change, too. That was offset by not being able to dine in the MDRs as the wait was way too long. That was mitigated somewhat by other dining venues (both for charge and included).   But, I still couldn’t get the “better” meals in the MDRs.

NCL has had “For Free” packages included for a while. Plus, I’m Sapphire.  As you point out, that means free laundry.  Which means I can pack light with only a roll aboard and a backpack.  So, no extra baggage charges at the airport.  The drinks “service charges’ and specialty dining “tips”, doesn’t preclude NCL from asking guests for “additional tips”.

At the end of the day, what gets me interested is the fare.  If you don’t get my eyeballs with a good/great fare, none of the rest matters because I’m not even pricing out all the rest.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

This!!!!!

HAving sailed in Sky Suites on Celebrity, all inclusive, and $600 OBC, it made those cruises just about the same price as a big balcony cabin on Royal.  Not sure of pricing, now.  This was when prices were enticing several months ago.

Not buying the drink package on Royal and just using the 4 drinks for Diamond saved a chunk of change, too. That was offset by not being able to dine in the MDRs as the wait was way too long. That was mitigated somewhat by other dining venues (both for charge and included).   But, I still couldn’t get the “better” meals in the MDRs.

NCL has had “For Free” packages included for a while. Plus, I’m Sapphire.  As you point out, that means free laundry.  Which means I can pack light with only a roll aboard and a backpack.  So, no extra baggage charges at the airport.  The drinks “service charges’ and specialty dining “tips”, doesn’t preclude NCL from asking guests for “additional tips”.

At the end of the day, what gets me interested is the fare.  If you don’t get my eyeballs with a good/great fare, none of the rest matters because I’m not even pricing out all the rest.

I try to keep on top of the extras as they are less flexible than the lead in price.

Base Grats included or not is ~$15pppd up these days.

Also comparing UK,EU,US prices the taxes can make a big difference as some cruises they are low others high.

Eg Alaska cruise look a lot cheaper in the US as UK/EU include taxes.

UK NCL free at sea is charged but can be added to sailaway.

US charge gratuity and the delta from sailaway is higher than UK then there is the Grats(far from free)

Etc.

This is needed as some more upmarket include some items  in base fare so can be very competitive.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:23 AM, complawyer said:

ive looked at celebrity cruises, theyre really expensive. ncl may not be the best, but so far im sticking with them. they offer me the places i want to go and see, at a cost that i can handle comfortably. what more can i ask for?

With almost 30 cruises on NCL, I used to think the same thing.  We’re on Celebrity Edge right now and WOW what a difference.  I wish I knew how to put into words the difference in the look and feel between the two cruise lines.  Celebrity wins hands down on the ambiance, decor, service, and cuisine.  Our cruise includes two sea days out of seven, plus a late arrival in one port, so that gives us a lot of time on board.  If this were a port-intensive cruise, the onboard details might be less meaningful, but as it is, I’m glad we paid a bit more for what is proving to be a far superior experience than with NCL.

• Like 2

traveling man. for many  years, i have always valued your input/insight.

what category cabin were you in,  what was the approximate sq footage of your cabin? and where was the departure point  I believe these criteria are more important than decor or ambiance . and that compares apples to apples!

ive tried to book a celebrity cruise many times in the past, but the costs were way, way higher than ncl.

i certainly realize you get what you pay for, i  just think you can get more bang for your buck with ncl.

while i have been chastised  before about booking mainly in haven or "suites"  im not looking for ambiance or decor.  ive never had a  problem with service (in fact on our last cruise april 2022) the concierge and butler went out of their way to be helpful, 

cuisine, is of course subjective, you cant knock cagney's or teppanyaki.  never having been on a celebrity vessel, i concede that they may indeed be nicer with a better esthetic as a whole. 

for what i get with ncl, i'm perfectly satisfied. if at any time i can find a better deal with any other cruise line, count me in.

i have in past posts indicated i am not by any means an ncl cheerleader, and certainly not a happy -go-lucky pollyanna.

personally, i'll stick with ncl until i find something better, or similar pricewise. my main criteria has/is price, cabin,and itinerary.

having said all that, have a great cruise!

• Like 1

EDGE is my favorite Celebrity ship.  Sailed her twice last year.  I’m a huge fan of Capt Kate and her crew.  They were everywhere on the ship, making sure things were done right.  And, she and the CD were interfacing with the guests, listening to our wants/needs, and acting on them.  Capt Kate’s on Beyond now.  But, that was the first and only time I felt the Capt and crew made a difference on my cruise experience.

Is there a big difference between Celebrity and NCL?  I suppose.  Depends on what you’re looking for.

As good as Celebrity’s entertainment was (and it was VERY GOOD), NCL still has the better entertainment of the two.  Service?  I sailed in a Sky Suite on the Edge.  Service was exemplary, as you’d expect.  Was it better than sailing in NCL’s Haven?  I’d say it would be a toss up.  But, I haven’t sailed in the NCL’s Haven in years.

Edge’s Luminae was good.  I have an adventurous palate so it fit with my dining expectations.  Some did not like the selections and stuck with the “tried and true” from the MDR menus.  I did like the different MDRs on board, as they all had different food types.  

Service….personally, I make connections with the staff….be they bartenders, cabin stewards, customer service personnel, etc.  I’m respectful and pleasant (which is quite different than some I’ve seen who denigrate crew). Overall, it pays off.  I’m always greeted quickly with a smile and great service, regardless of where I am on the ship, or what I’m doing.  I appreciate them.  They appreciate me (at least they seem to).

The real differences between the two lines is activities.  If your like a real diversity of things to do, NCL takes the baton.  Some like that.  Some don’t.  Some want to relax and be sedate.  Some like to have jam packed activities on their cruise.  No right or wrong.  Celebrity is more laid back, without a doubt.

NCL really frosted me at the start up after COVID with how they were dishonest in the way they promised to handle FCCs and refunds, and what they actually did.  I’M beginning to thaw a bit.  But, still a little prickly about it.

Still, I look at NCL cruises first if I’m planing one.

Prices aren’t nearly as good on either line as they were 10 months ago, though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, complawyer said:

traveling man. for many  years, i have always valued your input/insight.

what category cabin were you in,  what was the approximate sq footage of your cabin? and where was the departure point  I believe these criteria are more important than decor or ambiance . and that compares apples to apples!

ive tried to book a celebrity cruise many times in the past, but the costs were way, way higher than ncl.

i certainly realize you get what you pay for, i  just think you can get more bang for your buck with ncl.

while i have been chastised  before about booking mainly in haven or "suites"  im not looking for ambiance or decor.  ive never had a  problem with service (in fact on our last cruise april 2022) the concierge and butler went out of their way to be helpful, 

cuisine, is of course subjective, you cant knock cagney's or teppanyaki.  never having been on a celebrity vessel, i concede that they may indeed be nicer with a better esthetic as a whole. 

for what i get with ncl, i'm perfectly satisfied. if at any time i can find a better deal with any other cruise line, count me in.

i have in past posts indicated i am not by any means an ncl cheerleader, and certainly not a happy -go-lucky pollyanna.

personally, i'll stick with ncl until i find something better, or similar pricewise. my main criteria has/is price, cabin,and itinerary.

having said all that, have a great cruise!

We’re in a Sky Suite, so we have access to their two exclusive restaurants, Blu & Luminae.  Unlike NCL, which seems to want to cram a pay-to-play bar, restaurant, or activity into every available nook and cranny, the Edge has tons of space for quiet areas and just simply places to hang out.  I was especially impressed with the way they provide for the crowds trying to disembark.  From the elevators on Deck 2 to the gangway there must be a couple thousand sq ft of space for those in line.  Also, restrooms conveniently located near the gangway area.  There are tons of little touches, things that might seem insignificant, but which really add up.  Example:  NCL puts a sign near the door of restrooms in public areas advising folks to use a paper towel when they touch the door handle.  Celebrity uses door openers that you operate by tapping a button with your elbow (or other body part).  Closet doors in the staterooms open into an open area of the room instead of making you climb over the sofa or bed as NCL frequently does.  I agree that the itinerary and cost are the most important factors, but cuisine, service, and ambiance have to count, too.  Maybe we got lucky on the price of our “Retreat” suite.  It cost a bit less than a similar Haven suite on a similar journey.  We’ll continue to look to NCL for potential cruises in the future, but I think Celebrity may have become our default option.  I know that I’m not the only one to reach this conclusion.  Look for posts by @JamieLogicalfor far more convincing reasons than I can conjure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

EDGE is my favorite Celebrity ship.  Sailed her twice last year.  I’m a huge fan of Capt Kate and her crew.  They were everywhere on the ship, making sure things were done right.  And, she and the CD were interfacing with the guests, listening to our wants/needs, and acting on them.  Capt Kate’s on Beyond now.  But, that was the first and only time I felt the Capt and crew made a difference on my cruise experience.

Is there a big difference between Celebrity and NCL?  I suppose.  Depends on what you’re looking for.

As good as Celebrity’s entertainment was (and it was VERY GOOD), NCL still has the better entertainment of the two.  Service?  I sailed in a Sky Suite on the Edge.  Service was exemplary, as you’d expect.  Was it better than sailing in NCL’s Haven?  I’d say it would be a toss up.  But, I haven’t sailed in the NCL’s Haven in years.

Edge’s Luminae was good.  I have an adventurous palate so it fit with my dining expectations.  Some did not like the selections and stuck with the “tried and true” from the MDR menus.  I did like the different MDRs on board, as they all had different food types.  

Service….personally, I make connections with the staff….be they bartenders, cabin stewards, customer service personnel, etc.  I’m respectful and pleasant (which is quite different than some I’ve seen who denigrate crew). Overall, it pays off.  I’m always greeted quickly with a smile and great service, regardless of where I am on the ship, or what I’m doing.  I appreciate them.  They appreciate me (at least they seem to).

The real differences between the two lines is activities.  If your like a real diversity of things to do, NCL takes the baton.  Some like that.  Some don’t.  Some want to relax and be sedate.  Some like to have jam packed activities on their cruise.  No right or wrong.  Celebrity is more laid back, without a doubt.

NCL really frosted me at the start up after COVID with how they were dishonest in the way they promised to handle FCCs and refunds, and what they actually did.  I’M beginning to thaw a bit.  But, still a little prickly about it.

Still, I look at NCL cruises first if I’m planing one.

Prices aren’t nearly as good on either line as they were 10 months ago, though.

One big difference is that NCL seems to cram way too many activities into the atrium.  The the noise from the coffee machines and blenders at the bar, the conversations at Guest Services, Cruise Next, and Shorex, the noise from the arcade games next to O’Sheehan’s on the open deck above, with everyone trying to talk over everyone else’s conversations, it takes away from the fun of trivia, game shows, cooking demonstrations, or whatever else is going on.  Celebrity places those help desks on different decks, away from the atrium.   They have multiple areas like the Club where activities can take place.  It just makes so much more sense.  NCL does hold the edge on entertainment, with Broadway caliber shows.