Just off summit

sullyd

11 hours ago, sullyd said:

1723 people tested negative 48 hrs before boarding. Did the crew test 48 hrs before we boarded? 

We were on Apex in Feb and were told all crew are tested on Thursday every week. One woman I spoke with said most crew stayed on ship when in port because they were afraid of catching covid and going into quarantime.  

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Viking has last minute deals.  Prices are deeply discounted.  

Plus it is all inclusive. Really. WiFi, shore excursions, gelato, specialty restaurants, wine and beer with meals, the thermal spa, etc. This is my first Celebrity Cruise, and I am astonished at all the add on costs. Maybe if you are in the retreat it is all inclusive. But for me, no.

Sounds like covid was just like a cold.  We just got off Eclipse last week (15 May), and it seems like everyone who caught it or was tested for covid is just fine now.   There may be some exceptions I am not aware of.

If one has health or obesity issues, probably shouldn't cruise, because covid is not going away anytime soon no matter what the precautions unless we find a cure for the common cold/flu.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Sounds like covid was just like a cold.  We just got off Eclipse last week (15 May), and it seems like everyone who caught it or was tested for covid is just fine now.   There may be some exceptions I am not aware of.

If one has health or obesity issues, probably shouldn't cruise, because covid is not going away anytime soon no matter what the precautions unless we find a cure for the common cold/flu.

No it's not like a cold. Did you read my post? I said I have not been this sick for over 30 years! It's like a very very bad flu. Plus 20% of covid patients will get long covid. Is that worth gambling your life with to have momentary fun? BTW double boosted & no serious health problems. When & if covid case counts decrease, we would consider a cruise but not in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

No it's not like a cold. Did you read my post? I said I have not been this sick for over 30 years! It's like a very very bad flu. Plus 20% of covid patients will get long covid. Is that worth gambling your life with to have momentary fun? BTW double boosted & no serious health problems. When & if covid case counts decrease, we would consider a cruise but not in the near future.

No, I didn't read your post.  All I've been reading is just about everyone is either asystematic, have slight colds, sniffles, and the like.  I'm so sorry you were so sick, but you are probably one of the exceptions rather than the rule based on my personal experience and what I have been reading on the boards.  People are catching it once they get home, but no hospitalizations, ventilators, and the like.  We can all make our own personal decisions on whether to cruise or not.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

No, I didn't read your post.  All I've been reading is just about everyone is either asystematic, have slight colds, sniffles, and the like.  I'm so sorry you were so sick, but you are probably one of the exceptions rather than the rule based on my personal experience and what I have been reading on the boards.  People are catching it once they get home, but no hospitalizations, ventilators, and the like.  We can all make our own personal decisions on whether to cruise or not.  

It is not necessarily the exception.  I know someone who was vaccinated and not boosted and had a very bad case.  It just depends on the specific person and that person's specific susceptibility.  They don't have a DNA test yet that tell you in advance.

13 hours ago, akronmaid said:

Plus it is all inclusive. Really. WiFi, shore excursions, gelato, specialty restaurants, wine and beer with meals, the thermal spa, etc. This is my first Celebrity Cruise, and I am astonished at all the add on costs. Maybe if you are in the retreat it is all inclusive. But for me, no.

Personally, I wouldn’t consider a cruise that only included beer and wine, and only included it at meals, to be “all inclusive”.

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

Your post underscores that the level of risk via covid is obviously not even distributed and each of us need to assess the cruise go/no go decision and if we decide to cruise what mitigating measures we will take (if any) when on the ship and at the ports of call. No one size fits all and unfortunately, we need to make these decisions without perfect knowledge of the potential consequences.   

13 hours ago, akronmaid said:

What cruise line do you frequent that includes wifi, short excursions, gelato, specialties, alcohol and spa visits that upsets you these are Add-ons?

14 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Well I have had covid for 10 days now & have not been this sick in at least 30 years. I took paxlovid also. I used to walk 3.5 Miles per day. Going up one flight of stairs now I am winded. I am double boosted. I wear an N95 mask anytime indoors. I lost over 5lbs due to covid. I still have a cough, sneezing , short of breath & can't sleep well at night. Plus covid survivors have a 20% chance of getting long covid. So this is not just a walk in the park. Seriously think about not going on a cruise until this super contagious variant decreases. It's not worth getting covid just to take a vacation.

Were you vaxed and boosted prior to your cruise or were you a 5%'r on the ship?

11 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Personally, I wouldn’t consider a cruise that only included beer and wine, and only included it at meals, to be “all inclusive”.

Some cruise lines include more, some less. Personally, I like what Oceania does.  

2 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

Tendering on the Summit to port in Bermuda? I'm confused, doesn't it dock at the Wharf?

Because they didn't want to deal with mid cruise testing they changed the itinerary so that they were in Bermuda when 2 other ships were there so they had to anchor in the bay and run tenders.

2 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

6 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

On 5/26/2022 at 7:32 AM, Redtravel said:

Prefer cruises that test at the dock on embarkation day.  There are so many cases now.  Unless you stay home completely, you may come into contact with Covid.  People who are fully vaxed and bolstered, wear masks, wash hands, sanitize, etc. are still getting Covid.  Celebrity should cut capacity. I am sailing next week.   The cruise lines that test frequently onboard have high number of cases. Viking has high number of cases. They test everyone daily. Those that don’t have lower number of cases. Celebrity seems to avoid testing. That is irresponsible to guests who are expecting safety on the ship.  It also is the reason why our Bermuda cruise had its itinerary changed to avoid testing 2 days before getting to Bermuda. Instead, everything has been turned upside down.  We will be tendering 2 of the days.  If tenders are packed as you state, we will probably be exposed.  May just stay on the ship.  This cruise could be a huge mistake. I am nervous after reading your comments.  This is not the vacation that I imagined.

To test everyone at the dock is unreasonable.  It takes 3-4 days to test positive after exposure.  Those that were negative 2 days before might start showing symptoms in a couple of days after boarding.  Same with those that were negative at the dock.  I still say it’s up to the individual cruiser to take on the responsibility themselves to do what it takes to try to evade the virus.  Why not wait until the majority are off the ship and take a later tender so you are not on a closely crowded one? 

33 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

... also 'an included shore excursion', typically a sightseeing coach trip, doesn't reach the bar of 'all inclusive' either...

That said, it may well suit what some people want and I do appreciate the general appeal of 'all suite' cruising as we have experienced on a couple of Regent cruises.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:32 AM, Redtravel said:

Prefer cruises that test at the dock on embarkation day.

That is not a panacea, even on a small ship.  We did that on a Silversea cruise with about 300 boarding, and it was NOT fun.  I don't even want to think about the nightmare of ten times that many.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCPIV said:

That is not a panacea, even on a small ship.  We did that on a Silversea cruise with about 300 boarding, and it was NOT fun.  I don't even want to think about the nightmare of ten times that many.

I was on the first NCL Breakaway sailing out of NYC after the restart, when NCL was testing everyone at the pier. We only had ~900 passengers and it was still a debacle. Our group of four, three of us got our results in 15-20 minutes and one of us didn't get results for 2.5 hours!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

Tendering on the Summit to port in Bermuda? I'm confused, doesn't it dock at the Wharf?

Not on or cruise rearranged itenerary to avoid on board testing .

On 5/26/2022 at 9:18 AM, sullyd said:

1723 people tested negative 48 hrs before boarding. Did the crew test 48 hrs before we boarded? The only thing I know is 1723 people tested negative to get on board . Mid cruise lots of coughing, hacking and sneezing. I have mild symptoms tested only because of being on the ship ,24 hrs post cruise and I’m positive and quarantining 5 days. 

well some blame can be pointed to airplanes and just about anywhere the folks went during the 48 hours prior to boarding.  this is why testing is so controversial because the negative is as of one day in time.

That is why I will continue to wear masks around town doing chores as well as in airport, on the plane, in taxi or shuttle and in hotel lobby and on the ship as well.   It has so far saved me

5 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

I did not get it on a cruise. We were supposed to sail next week. Yes I am double boosted & wear my N95 mask anywhere indoors. I have no major health issues. I was walking 3.5 miles daily before covid. My BIL an MD & his wife also an MD got it. We haven't seen them in 2 years.  A lot more people are catching this very contagious strain. I was super careful for 2 years & got it. 

This topic hits close to home - Jan 24 boarded Constellation for 21 day B2B.  I had rarely left my home for 2 weeks - no manicure or facial or massage, as part of the prep for cruise.  kN95 mask traveling and any time out of our cabin (except eating). We did have a drink before dinner, sitting at the periphery of the lounge with no one around.  No use of elevator, eat outside when possible and still got sick day 6 of the trip.  That is the nature of this highly contagious virus - get tired of hearing if we had been safer we would not have gotten it.  The big challenge now is if there is not a medical issue that requires care when will we quit testing.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

I agree with you for some people, vaxed and boosted it’s just a bad cold (like me) for others like my husband its being  extremely sick in the hospital for 4 days having to receive Remdesivir IV treatments and still suffering from Long Covid a Month later. To make general assumptions that its “just a cold” for everyone is not right. We were very lucky we had tested PCR negative on April 7, 2 days before boarding Apex on April 9. Next day my husband woke up totally disoriented and could hardly walk. We took him to ÉR thinking he was having a stroke . to our amazement he tested positive for Covid and his blood oxygen was extremely low so he was admitted for 4 days.and continued to be sick at home for 2 weeks . I immediately cancelled the cruise for the next day. On Saturday I woke up with a headache and sore throat went to Urgent Care where Rapids for Covid and flu were negative next day my PCR was,positive. I just had bad cold symptoms for a few days.  I shudder to think what it would have been like if all this had happened onboard a couple of days later. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark_T said:

... also 'an included shore excursion', typically a sightseeing coach trip, doesn't reach the bar of 'all inclusive' either...

That said, it may well suit what some people want and I do appreciate the general appeal of 'all suite' cruising as we have experienced on a couple of Regent cruises.

I no longer drink alcohol so when I sail on Regent I am paying for something I don't  use. I haven't been on very many very enjoyable shore excursions on Regent or Celebrity or HAL but they are not in the price on HAL and Celebrity. 

Regent has the best food.  

• Like 1